Xiaomi Mi Box / Mi Box S [Android TV OS]

elf_lord_ZC5

Executive Member
That won't work on the Mibox. The Z607 have 5.1 via RCA cables. For the Mibox you'd have to have an hdmi or spdif system

For watching sport and the odd documentary, I use a JBL 2 Sound Bar with optic connection to my LIT TV box, and a 22 inch Samsung monitor.
Works fantastic, for that, for music I stick to my Headphone setup, or Stereo system.

Mi-box in lounge is connected to a Setreo System.

For 3k, I 'd recommend the JBL 2.1 soundbar, as long as you are not going to expect to get good stereo sound out of it. For Movies, sports documentaries, and other audio visual material it will go loud, sound decent and hopefully you will enjoy.

If you can listen first, it would be better.

Dimpie (COMPUTEK)

Executive Member
Basically decent, if your expectations are not too high. Would rather pay more and get a Mi-Box, or Ematic. Very much a case of you get what you pay for.

Seen mentions that the stick gets hot, and that I do not appreciate.

That is the rumour yes .... Bad news.
I have a Firestick that stays cool no matter how many hours it streams.

Raphael123

Expert Member
Anyone with a mi box 3 or 4s that can tell me whether it's worth investing in some fancy 5.1 surround speakers?

How much of the content these days makes use of 5.1 audio?

I'm talking the standard things - Netflix, YouTube, Amazon Prime Video, Showmax, DSTV Now, Google Play Movies, Deezer, Spotify...

Most of those streaming services have 5.1 and it depends on your budget for a 5.1 sound system. They can range from R2199 to R210 000. I'm more of a AV receiver person but soundbars are pretty good these days specifically Polk Audio and JBL. They Dolby certified and will run off your ARC HDMI display.
Your room size for viewing also determines you acoustic needs.

To answer your question though I would say its well worth it cause the sound is 50% of the viewing experience.

GrootBaas

Most of those streaming services have 5.1 and it depends on your budget for a 5.1 sound system. They can range from R2199 to R210 000. I'm more of a AV receiver person but soundbars are pretty good these days specifically Polk Audio and JBL. They Dolby certified and will run off your ARC HDMI display.
Your room size for viewing also determines you acoustic needs.

To answer your question though I would say its well worth it cause the sound is 50% of the viewing experience.
Interesting. I gave up on the 5.1 setup for my mi box 3 and my system has been running 2.1 for years now through my Harman Kardon AVR. When I tried to set it up before the side speakers sounded like AM radio that has bad reception, not even proper AM. Should look into that again if you say it should work. I have zero technical knowledge on this topic though.

Sinbad

Honorary Master
Interesting. I gave up on the 5.1 setup for my mi box 3 and my system has been running 2.1 for years now through my Harman Kardon AVR. When I tried to set it up before the side speakers sounded like AM radio that has bad reception, not even proper AM. Should look into that again if you say it should work. I have zero technical knowledge on this topic though.
something wrong there then. The 5.1 signal is digital, it's not going to be degraded on only a couple of the channels. Check connectivity from the amp to the side speakers, check the speakers aren't blown and most importantly, check the speakers are set up properly in the AVR. Satellite speakers getting a full spectrum signal (lots of bass) will sound like arse.

genetic

Honorary Master
Anyone else having Amazon Prime randomly crash / close on the MiBox S?

Also if I pause a video and it goes into screensaver mode, Amazon Prime will also crash and return to the interface menu... Quite annoying. Only happens in prime (and sometimes YouTube too, but far less frequently).

@Sinbad - Need to get myself that Shield TV!

hj2k_x

Honorary Master

Krazee

Still in beta. Are you a beta tester?

Iron out all them kinks before rolling it out to the rest of us mere mortals, please.
Yes I'm a beta tester
Signed up during the 8.0 updates and been on it ever since
Seems similar to Oreo with some UI tweaks
Some stuff is better others not
I'm not sure about the HD audio however playing TrueHD audio from a BluRay didn't have any issues

genetic

Honorary Master
Yes I'm a beta tester
Signed up during the 8.0 updates and been on it ever since
Seems similar to Oreo with some UI tweaks
Some stuff is better others not
I'm not sure about the HD audio however playing TrueHD audio from a BluRay didn't have any issues
The MiBox S lost 4K Netflix support moving to Android 9. Would be interesting to see if the MiBox 3 does the same...

Budza

Executive Member
The MiBox S lost 4K Netflix support moving to Android 9. Would be interesting to see if the MiBox 3 does the same...
How do you check if you're getting 4K?

If updating means losing that, why would you bother?

GrootBaas

something wrong there then. The 5.1 signal is digital, it's not going to be degraded on only a couple of the channels. Check connectivity from the amp to the side speakers, check the speakers aren't blown and most importantly, check the speakers are set up properly in the AVR. Satellite speakers getting a full spectrum signal (lots of bass) will sound like arse.
Played with the settings yesterday again on my AVR. Managed to find a 5.1 setting that was hidden, and this one works. All the other "virtual surround" and "gaming" and "movie" and "music" etc modes does funny stuff to the audio which I don't get. But it works now, thanks!