Xiaomi Mi Box / Mi Box S [Android TV OS]

BraBean

Honorary Master
Hi all,

I seem to be having issues with my Xiaomi Mi S Box, lately I cannot seem to use any of my streaming apps such as Netlix, Amazon Prime etc. I have had the Mi Box close to a year without issues now I get the same issue every week

Netflix buffers to 25% and just hangs there and other streaming apps just give a blank screen. It is not my network since I borrowed my friends Ematic Android box to try it out in the place of the Mi box and it worked perfectly with all my streaming apps.-

What I have tried is:
- Deleting cache and data of the streaming apps
- Uninstalling and reinstalling the apps
- Resetting the Mi TV Box to factory settings

Resetting the Mi TV Box to factory settings works for a couple of days then the issue starts all over again, I don't want to resort to resetting the Mi TV Box every week.

Is there anyone that can assist?
Mine also does that. What works for me, is keeping the box on, meaning that I don't hit the off switch (sleep) when I'm done watching. I just exit the app I'm using and only switch off the TV.
I got an update yesterday. Maybe they fixed the issue.

TheLuckmeister

Hi all,

I seem to be having issues with my Xiaomi Mi S Box, lately I cannot seem to use any of my streaming apps such as Netlix, Amazon Prime etc. I have had the Mi Box close to a year without issues now I get the same issue every week

Netflix buffers to 25% and just hangs there and other streaming apps just give a blank screen. It is not my network since I borrowed my friends Ematic Android box to try it out in the place of the Mi box and it worked perfectly with all my streaming apps.-

What I have tried is:

Resetting the Mi TV Box to factory settings works for a couple of days then the issue starts all over again, I don't want to resort to resetting the Mi TV Box every week.

Just restart the box... Hold the power button for 3 seconds and then click restart. Its an issue since the last update. Everything works after the restart. I have to restart mine everytime i use it.

ridr

Hi all,

What I have tried is:

It's a known issue after the update last year. I restart mine by unplugging it at the wall when it happens.

StoneCold

Expert Member
It's a known issue after the update last year. I restart mine by unplugging it at the wall when it happens.
Just disable "Put device to sleep" under the screen saver menu. Never have to restart ever again. Did that since that update last year and it has been smooth sailing.

enerdude

Expert Member
so... who is selling the The Xiaomi Mi Box 4S Pro?
Had a quick look at the specs, uses the same amlogic chipset (cpu = s905x) as the current mi box, so would not bother with it.
It does however offer HDMI 2.1, 8K and 8GB more of storage which is pretty meh being driven by the same chipset as the current mi box....by the time 8K content becomes mainstream it will be well out of date anyways.

joshuatree

Expert Member
This looks like a better alternative to the Xiaomi Mi TV Stick:

MECOOL-KD1-TV-Stick-Amlogic-S905Y2-2GB-RAM-16GB-ROM-BT4_2-2_4G-5G-WiFi-Android-10-ATV-OS-4K-HDR10

Link:

Soul Assassin

Honorary Master
This looks like a better alternative to the Xiaomi Mi TV Stick:

MECOOL-KD1-TV-Stick-Amlogic-S905Y2-2GB-RAM-16GB-ROM-BT4_2-2_4G-5G-WiFi-Android-10-ATV-OS-4K-HDR10

Link:

Not Google or Netflix certified so no DSTV and SD Netflix.

The MECOOL KM2 on the other hand is.

Last edited:

RVR

Expert Member
Any cheaper alternative to the mi box?

Not one of those generic x96/mbox ones (had many of those but very slow and didn't support Netflix good)

enerdude

Expert Member
DStv no problem.
Yeah but the dstv kodi addon in conjunction with the iptv merge addon is just so much (lightyears!) better than the official dstv app. Much more user friendly, can jump to channel nrs and proper EPG tv guide just like on the satellite offering (e.g. press 'e' on your keyboard and you get presented with a full, scrollable EPG. Press '201' and you jump to Supersport Grandstand etc etc).

No google certification needed even, just a device that supports at least Widevine level 3 which most (cheap) chinese devices even support.

Mecool is also a good chinese brand, imported a mecool (amlogic S912) android box with dvb tuner unit few years ago, still running strong. Did some bootloader mods and made the box certified myself. Amlogic is just also so much popular than competitors like rockchip / allwinner and other cheap chinese chipsets, more mods floating around on the net, can never go wrong buying a device with amlogic chipset I recon.

enerdude

Expert Member
Any cheaper alternative to the mi box?

Not one of those generic x96/mbox ones (had many of those but very slow and didn't support Netflix good)
Xiaomi Mi tv stick or Mecool tv stick (provided you don't care about hd netflix) mentioned above?