Xiaomi Mi Box / Mi Box S [Android TV OS]

GrootBaas

Expert Member
How are you guys experiencing the dstv app since the update? I'm struggling today with just a black screen when trying to load the stream. On both mi box 3 and 4

deesef

Expert Member
How are you guys experiencing the dstv app since the update? I'm struggling today with just a black screen when trying to load the stream. On both mi box 3 and 4
I had the same issue on my Media Box Maverick. I cleared the cache and force-stopped the app, then it worked again.

Pulserider

I purchased a Xiaomi Mi TV Box S over the weekend. The first one was dead on arrival so I returned it and got a new one. The new one I updated to the latest firmware etc. Just a curious question. When I press the power button on the remote and the unit go into standby mode, it is quite a mission to get it out of that mode. Is this a normal behavior of this unit?

dabbler

Expert Member
I purchased a Xiaomi Mi TV Box S over the weekend. The first one was dead on arrival so I returned it and got a new one. The new one I updated to the latest firmware etc. Just a curious question. When I press the power button on the remote and the unit go into standby mode, it is quite a mission to get it out of that mode. Is this a normal behavior of this unit?
Yeah mine is the same. Don't forget this is a bluetooth remote, not IR.

GrootBaas

Expert Member
Yeah mine is the same. Don't forget this is a bluetooth remote, not IR.
Yip used to have this issue especially on Mibox 3 and it was quite frustrating at times. Actually had it run off a smartplug so that it's easier to reset when it doesn't want to come on. My Mibox 4 (which I unboxed only about a week ago after buying it probably a year ago already) seems to do better though, haven't had any issues.

I now however have the issue where Netflix is only streaming in HD and not in UHD, which I think has been discussed here before. So now need to figure that out. Youtube is streaming fine in UHD though.

To be honest, my next purchase will probably be the latest Google TV thingie. It feels like the Mibox and latest Mi sticks are not keeping up with other devices out there.

furpile

Expert Member
Yip used to have this issue especially on Mibox 3 and it was quite frustrating at times. Actually had it run off a smartplug so that it's easier to reset when it doesn't want to come on. My Mibox 4 (which I unboxed only about a week ago after buying it probably a year ago already) seems to do better though, haven't had any issues.

I now however have the issue where Netflix is only streaming in HD and not in UHD, which I think has been discussed here before. So now need to figure that out. Youtube is streaming fine in UHD though.

To be honest, my next purchase will probably be the latest Google TV thingie. It feels like the Mibox and latest Mi sticks are not keeping up with other devices out there.
Netflix doesn't do UHD if you have bluetooth headphones connected.

GrootBaas

Expert Member
Netflix doesn't do UHD if you have bluetooth headphones connected.
Interesting thanks. Although I did test using a Bluetooth speaker before, I don't have one paired at the moment so that's unfortunately not the issue. Unless because I once did pair a speaker it's now permanently an issue...maybe I should factory reset and try again.

There's also a well documented issue where using a Bluetooth speaker interferes with the WiFi (if you are not wired) and cause video to stutter. Experienced that when setting up my bedroom TV last week where I don't have a cable yet.