Xiaomi Mi Box / Mi Box S [Android TV OS]

KleinBoontjie

Honorary Master
Can anyone tell me if Mibox supports Britbox
Just tested now from Playstore web. Only had option to install on my phone or tablet. My Chromcast and Mi box is greyed out. I could could cast from phone to Mi box and Chromecast without hassles.

joshuatree

Expert Member
Yes, Britbox downloadable from the PlayStore runs fine on the Mi Box S, and Disney+ for that matter.

SplaT

Are you guys able to get Disney+ working on the Mi Box S?

I'm just getting a "Not available in your region" error when launching the app, even though it works fine on every other device in our household.

KleinBoontjie

Honorary Master

I'm just getting a "Not available in your region" error when launching the app, even though it works fine on every other device in our household.
Works fine on mine.

elf_lord_ZC5

Honorary Master

What region is your Mi-Box set to and are you using the local App and not the US/UK App?

cpu.

Executive Member

Also VPN off?

SplaT

What region is your Mi-Box set to and are you using the local App and not the US/UK App?
I factory reset it and made sure it's set to SA and I turned on Location in the settings.
Although, I didn't know there was a separate local app. I only see one Disney+ app in the Play store and it doesn't specify which localization it is. Interesting. Let me look around?

Also VPN off?
Yup, no VPN usage anywhere in the household, no proxies either.

SplaT

Hmm, there is definitely only one Disney+ app available. How can you tell the difference?

I'm assuming this is most likely the problem, cause there is no way to log in with my number (as with every other device).

After the "Not available in your region" screen, there is a login option, which only accepts an email login. And the email I'm registered with says it doesn't exist.

It makes sense now, but it's strange that my Google Play store only gives me access the international localisation? Even though I'm pretty sure everything is set to SA region.

Edit: It turns out the Google account itself was set to UK for some reason, so it forced only the UK play store, even though the region on the device was SA.

Well, problem solved. Thanks for the help! I wouldn't have figured it out without this clue.

Last edited:

elf_lord_ZC5

Honorary Master
Hmm, there is definitely only one Disney+ app available. How can you tell the difference?

I'm assuming this is most likely the problem, cause there is no way to log in with my number (as with every other device).

After the "Not available in your region" screen, there is a login option, which only accepts an email login. And the email I'm registered with says it doesn't exist.

It makes sense now, but it's strange that my Google Play store only gives me access the international localisation? Even though I'm pretty sure everything is set to SA region.

Edit: It turns out the Google account itself was set to UK for some reason, so it forced only the UK play store, even though the region on the device was SA.

Well, problem solved. Thanks for the help! I wouldn't have figured it out without this clue.

Glad you came right - enjoy!!

Deefish

Hi guys, quick question. I have a Hisense U8QF with the native Vidaa software as well as a Mibox. I wanted to check if it's normal that the quality of the picture (all apps - DSTV, YouTube, Netflix etc.) are all a lot better on native Vidaa apps as opposed to the apps on the Mibox? I have tried various display settings on the Mibox (well, all of them I think) but the picture is always quite noticeably worse than the Vidaa apps. Is this the norm?

elf_lord_ZC5

Honorary Master
Hi guys, quick question. I have a Hisense U8QF with the native Vidaa software as well as a Mibox. I wanted to check if it's normal that the quality of the picture (all apps - DSTV, YouTube, Netflix etc.) are all a lot better on native Vidaa apps as opposed to the apps on the Mibox? I have tried various display settings on the Mibox (well, all of them I think) but the picture is always quite noticeably worse than the Vidaa apps. Is this the norm?

I doubt it is the norm, you tried different HDMI ports, port settings, different HDMI cable?

Deefish

I doubt it is the norm, you tried different HDMI ports, port settings, different HDMI cable?

Come to think of it I haven't tried any of your suggestions. Let me give them a go today and see if anything changes. I'm wondering if perhaps a factory reset of the box might be a good idea while I'm at it...

Edit: do you think I should leave the Mibox auto resolution toggle on or should I select a resolution manually?

elf_lord_ZC5

Honorary Master
Come to think of it I haven't tried any of your suggestions. Let me give them a go today and see if anything changes. I'm wondering if perhaps a factory reset of the box might be a good idea while I'm at it...

Will not hurt anything, other than having to set it up again.

elf_lord_ZC5

Honorary Master

Edit: do you think I should leave the Mibox auto resolution toggle on or should I select a resolution manually?

Could be HDR settings also, it occurs to me - guessing