Xiaomi Mi Box / Mi Box S [Android TV OS]

mkhululi.mm

Hi guys.

Just bought the Mi Box and having challenges setting up DStvNow.
Hi guys,

I got my Xiaomi Mi box 3 a couple of months ago. The Mi Box was working very well, no problems. I was using Terrarium TV which was excellent and then it shut down.

Now I am using Tea TV which was working well for the first 2 weeks that I had it but now the links won't play and if they do, they buffer every 10 seconds. Can anybody recommend a decent free streaming app that is similar to Terrarium and works well?

Another issue that I have been experiencing after downloading Tea TV is that my mibox won't connect to my wifi extension. So I have now connected it to my original wifi router which seems to be slower than the extension. Is there any way to fix this issue? Is there a reason why I can't connect to my extension anymore?

Hi guys

1. How do I setup DStvNow?. I have installed the app and there's a prompt to open up now.dstv.com/tv and put some code. However, opening up the link on my table does not lead me to any authorisation code. I'm stuck. Kindly assist with setup steps.
2. How do I install Aptoide tv?

Scary_Turtle

Expert Member
Hi guys.

Hi guys

1. How do I setup DStvNow?. I have installed the app and there's a prompt to open up now.dstv.com/tv and put some code. However, opening up the link on my table does not lead me to any authorisation code. I'm stuck. Kindly assist with setup steps.

1. You have to login with your phone/pc first then do the link.
2. Guess you just Google aptoide and click the download button then put it on USB and open in es file.

tkburn

1.Download and install Aptoide tv to the mi box , it’s a play store where you can find things not
Legal to the play store.
2.Install liveNET tv for sports and other live content
3.Install kokotime for series and movies

Btw , I can confirm this box plays back UHD Netflix content since it’s Oreo update

stiller26

Hi guys.

Hi guys

1. I think the was a problem earlier with DSTV Now. Had the same issue when I was doing it for my brother on his LIT box.
Reset the box and try again.

mkhululi.mm

1. You have to login with your phone/pc first then do the link.
2. Guess you just Google aptoide and click the download button then put it on USB and open in es file.

Tonnes of thanks. This was helpful. I was able to be set up DStvNow after logging in to facilitate linking tv.

Jasop

Can anyone recommend a wireless gamepad / controller for the Mi Box that is available locally?

JoE

Can anyone recommend a wireless gamepad / controller for the Mi Box that is available locally?
If you've got a PS4 controller that would work otherwise any Bluetooth controller should do the job. Must warn you though that gaming is not recommended on the mi box and if that's what you're after, you're better off with an Nvidia shield.

cronjec

Tried a few file browsers for local network and USB content. Found ES File explorer fonts too small for my eyes on TV and navigation with MiBox remote frustrating. Just loaded FX Explorer - nice dark themes built in and many display options for large icons and clear text. Navigation also very easy with standard remote. 14 day trail though - will pay the R38 if I still love it when the trail period expires. Solid Explorer is free and also optimised for Android TV, but I still found FX Explorer's interface easier to use.

JoE

Tried a few file browsers for local network and USB content. Found ES File explorer fonts too small for my eyes on TV and navigation with MiBox remote frustrating. Just loaded FX Explorer - nice dark themes built in and many display options for large icons and clear text. Navigation also very easy with standard remote. 14 day trail though - will pay the R38 if I still love it when the trail period expires. Solid Explorer is free and also optimised for Android TV, but I still found FX Explorer's interface easier to use.
ES used to be great but now it's filled with bloatware. FX and Solid are great alternatives though once you have aptiode installed there is no need for a file explorer.

Jasop

If you've got a PS4 controller that would work otherwise any Bluetooth controller should do the job. Must warn you though that gaming is not recommended on the mi box and if that's what you're after, you're better off with an Nvidia shield.
Thanks. Yeah I don't expect anything great, but thought it might be fun for the kids to play some simple basic games.

I decided against the shield because I cannot justify spending nearly R5000 for a 16gb version.

If the mibox is terrible, which I seriously doubt based on this thread and reviews, I'll return within 30 days and reconsider the shield.

mkhululi.mm

Hi Guys

Is there anyone that's successfully using BBC iPlayer and ITV HUB on their Mi Box?. I had these apps running perfectly on a smartphone and haven't had luck with their use on the Mi Box. I have always utilised a VPN to access United Kingdom content.The apps were successfully downloaded and installed from Aptoidetv but they don't function properly.

Please share if you have had joy with these two apps on the Mi Box.

Thanks.

Vernon

Expert Member
Hi Guys

Is there anyone that's successfully using BBC iPlayer and ITV HUB on their Mi Box?. I had these apps running perfectly on a smartphone and haven't had luck with their use on the Mi Box. I have always utilised a VPN to access United Kingdom content.The apps were successfully downloaded and installed from Aptoidetv but they don't function properly.

Please share if you have had joy with these two apps on the Mi Box.

Thanks.

No idea about ITV Hub but BBC iPlayer works fine on my Mi Box. I use the Getflix DNS service.

JoE

Thanks. Yeah I don't expect anything great, but thought it might be fun for the kids to play some simple basic games.

I decided against the shield because I cannot justify spending nearly R5000 for a 16gb version.

If the mibox is terrible, which I seriously doubt based on this thread and reviews, I'll return within 30 days and reconsider the shield.
You'll get the shield cheaper from Amazon if you do go down that path. For streaming purposes you won't go wrong with the mibox and upgrading to the shield is not worth the price differential.

mkhululi.mm

No idea about ITV Hub but BBC iPlayer works fine on my Mi Box. I use the Getflix DNS service.

I use SmartDNSProxy to benefit from a stable broadband speed, it is a viable alternative to Getflix. When I open BBC iPlayer, the app screen looks zoomed and the remote commands are inactive. I can't navigate to menu, settings and to play VOD. From which app store did you source the BBC iPlayer?.

Try out TVplayer App as well (it's got all the itv channels, CNN and a host of other anchor channels available on the DStv platform at 1080p resolution.