Xiaomi mibox and Router

the Mi Box Gen 2 was my best working wi-fi device BUT i still got myself a 4 port USB hub and a USB to ethernet convertor - now i can connect a hard drive plus a flash drive to extend internal storage plus a keyboard and mouse as well as the aforementioned USB to ethernet and connect wired

i still cant connect two hard drives to the USB hub because the second one doesn't work since the hub cant supply enough power but im curious as to whether an 8 port powered USB hub might work three to four hard drives plus the flash drive and the keyboard and mouse as well as the USB to ethernet :unsure:
WHy all the drives, just install everything onto your PC and run a plex server and there you go. all sorted. But yea the Mi box gen 2 works pretty well for my needs

WHy all the drives, just install everything onto your PC and run a plex server and there you go. all sorted. But yea the Mi box gen 2 works pretty well for my needs

i hate plex - also i want the drives directly on the playback device and my PC cannot playback 4k material

the Mi Box Gen 2 was my best working wi-fi device BUT i still got myself a 4 port USB hub and a USB to ethernet convertor - now i can connect a hard drive plus a flash drive to extend internal storage plus a keyboard and mouse as well as the aforementioned USB to ethernet and connect wired

i still cant connect two hard drives to the USB hub because the second one doesn't work since the hub cant supply enough power but im curious as to whether an 8 port powered USB hub might work three to four hard drives plus the flash drive and the keyboard and mouse as well as the USB to ethernet :unsure:
Using a 4 port powered hub. Not using keyboard and mouse though, have 3 hard drives connected.

I have been having issues with power to the hub so I unplugged the power supply. Both USB powered drives still run off the Mibox USB power.

Drives:
2x Toshiba 4TB USB 3 drives
1x Western Digital MyBook 3TB drive (has external power)

The content is set up on Kodi. I tried a Plex server from a Raspberry Pi but it became too cumbersome to update every time new content was loaded on the drives. Kodi automatically scans for new content once opened on the Mibox.

Using a 4 port powered hub. Not using keyboard and mouse though, have 3 hard drives connected.

I have been having issues with power to the hub so I unplugged the power supply. Both USB powered drives still run off the Mibox USB power.

Drives:
2x Toshiba 4TB USB 3 drives
1x Western Digital MyBook 3TB drive (has external power)

The content is set up on Kodi. I tried a Plex server from a Raspberry Pi but it became too cumbersome to update every time new content was loaded on the drives. Kodi automatically scans for new content once opened on the Mibox.

wow - i would have thought that it would have worked the other way around with things plugged into the wall plug as opposed to receiving only 5v from the mi box USB port - that powered hub probably uses a very weak power supply/inverter section .... logic dictates that each port should be receiving its own 5v from the wall plug instead of trying to share the 5v from the mi box port BUT this seems to not be the case

either way when i have a few hundred bucks to spare not allocated to other expenses i will get an el-cheapo 7/8 port powered hub and give it a try - i just need two hard drives at a time to actually work (one for movies and one for TV series) then i can populate the Kodi library since i now have enough storage space for that (since im using a 32GB flash drive to expand the internal storage space of the mi box)

Thanks for the input. I’ll ask Afrihost to find out if they can replace my router with the one that allows me to adjust settings. Next step is to sell it if that’s not helping.

Thanks for the input. I’ll ask Afrihost to find out if they can replace my router with the one that allows me to adjust settings. Next step is to sell it if that’s not helping.
they should allow you off the bat to sign into the router, don't be surprised if they charged for this request to replace the router as it's clearly not the fault.

they should allow you off the bat to sign into the router, don't be surprised if they charged for this request to replace the router as it's clearly not the fault.
If you haven't taken the free router when you signed up you might still qualify for it and only pay the delivery fee. You will need to check with them on that. It depends on how long ago you signed up and if you already took the free router upon the original sign up.

If you don't qualify then the router costs R999 + R249 delivery.

Back