Xiaomi pips Apple is biggest smartwatch manufacturer by quarterly shipments

WAslayer

Executive Member
Xiaomi passes Apple to become world's biggest smartwatch maker

Xiaomi has passed Apple to become the world's leading smartwatch manufacturer in terms of shipments, data from research firm Canalys shows.

The Chinese tech giant shipped 8 million wearable bands in the second quarter of 2021, accounting for almost 20% of all units sold.
Xiaomi pips Apple is....

6fc2324022a5937f28f19ab2e6c31c79.jpg

hj007

Expert Member
If something is becoming mainstream and mass produced then Apple won't sell the most as a premium brand. More Toyotas than Mercedes.

Dolby

Honorary Master
If something is becoming mainstream and mass produced then Apple won't sell the most as a premium brand. More Toyotas than Mercedes.

Don't Apple sell 100m iPhones a year ?
Are they hand made or ... ?

Dave

Honorary Master

hj007

Expert Member
Don't Apple sell 100m iPhones a year ?
Are they hand made or ... ?
yes they do.

I mean for the price point of Apple vs Xiaomi, Xiaomi should be outselling 3-1 to Apple on cost price otherwise there isn't any real point for Xiaomi to exist as a low-cost provider. Anyway if Apple is responsible for 15% of total sales perhaps the ratio is right, and the battle is far more between Xiaomi and the other lower cost providers than Apple itself.

Dolby

Honorary Master
Quantity over quality, of note. Cause there's no way any other watch will match an Apple Watch for its high quality, functionality and design - that I can assure you.

Do they they still have a 24 hour battery life ?

I remember reading a few comparisons with watches vs Apple ... and I thought it was a typo when it came to the battery life. But - it's true - it really is THE worst battery performance in a smart watch !

It seems they've done the same as the iPhone by using cheaper and/or obsolete components to maximize profit margins

Dolby

Honorary Master

My gosh - worst than I thought

Up to 18 hours​

All-day battery life is based on 18 hours with the following use: 90 time checks, 90 notifications, 45 minutes of app use, and a 60-minute workout with music playback from Apple Watch via Bluetooth, over the course of 18 hours

neoprema

Executive Member

I remember reading a few comparisons with watches vs Apple ... and I thought it was a typo when it came to the battery life. But - it's true - it really is THE worst battery performance in a smart watch !

It seems they've done the same as the iPhone by using cheaper and/or obsolete components to maximize profit margins
They have a battery life designed to provide the best functionality and user experience while aligning to your charging habits of doing so at night, or at another convenient time. Other manufacturers boast longer battery life which they get by providing a device that just doesn't have the Apple experience, and it never can.

Dolby

Honorary Master
They have a battery life designed to provide the best functionality and user experience while aligning to your charging habits of doing so at night,

Yes - I'm pretty sure that's definitely the reason ... :cautious:

It's the same thing I've heard for a decade :

'it's not a flaw - it was cleverly designed that way!'