Xiaomi Redmi Note 9S - 6GB RAM 128GB (Viking's Review)

Vorastra

Executive Member
They all do. Just switch off "Recommendations" in the 5 or 6 apps that give ads - problem solved!
Right, so it's not like a system wide thing where the phone injects ads into all apps, even third party ones you download? It's only built into xiaomi apps?

deesef

Expert Member
Right, so it's not like a system wide thing where the phone injects ads into all apps, even third party ones you download? It's only built into xiaomi apps?
Eish, that would be really bad. Fortunately it does not work like that.

Note that many free apps from the Play store have their own annoying apps, totally independent from any phone manufacturer.

maq_

@RedViking sorry I know this thread is really long and detailed and I honestly don't want to have to go through pages to see if someone has already asked this.

I got the 6gb 64gb one. It's still brand new and I'm contemplating using it but I also don't have a problem with my current phone so I really need to convince myself of a good reason to use it instead of just selling it.

Is there a way to make the software less Xiaomi, i.e. make it look a bit more like stock android.

Also which xioami preinstalled apps are really annoying and you wish you could remove.

Do you have to sign in to any xioami accounts on start up, or can you just use Google services?

Do you feel there are any privacy concerns that you wish could be addressed?

Thanks

RedViking

Nord of the South
@RedViking sorry I know this thread is really long and detailed and I honestly don't want to have to go through pages to see if someone has already asked this.

I got the 6gb 64gb one. It's still brand new and I'm contemplating using it but I also don't have a problem with my current phone so I really need to convince myself of a good reason to use it instead of just selling it.

Is there a way to make the software less Xiaomi, i.e. make it look a bit more like stock android.

Also which xioami preinstalled apps are really annoying and you wish you could remove.

Do you have to sign in to any xioami accounts on start up, or can you just use Google services?

Thanks
These are my personal opinions.

1. You can install Nova Launcher for more customization. I guess if you want to get closer to stock you can look for a custom ROM. I love MIUI. Used Nova Launcher (paid) for a long time, now just switched to MIUI completely since they have implemented the app drawer.

2. I use all the pre-installed apps. They work great and very well designed. It is the Chinese version of Apple. I just go into the setting for each app and switch off "Receive Recommendations"

3. You have to sign into the Mi Account to register your sim/number with the phone. Remember your password and Mi Account No. Set up a recovery email.

If you don't sign in you have issues according to my experience.

Remember to sign out when you get rid of the phone or the next person wont be able to sign in.

I think anyways. Have used Xiaomi now since the Redmi Note 4 and carry my account over.

4. I am not worried about privacy. Too late for that. Google. Microsoft. Apple. PnP. Facebook.... the list goes on.

For what it matters, I think there is box you tick telling them not to collect information. Lol.

I don't use Mi Cloud. I do use Find Device.

maq_

These are my personal opinions.

1. You can install Nova Launcher for more customization. I guess if you want to get closer to stock you can look for a custom ROM. I love MIUI. Used Nova Launcher (paid) for a long time, now just switched to MIUI completely since they have implemented the app drawer.

2. I use all the pre-installed apps. They work great and very well designed. It is the Chinese version of Apple. I just go into the setting for each app and switch off "Receive Recommendations"

3. You have to sign into the Mi Account to register your sim/number with the phone. Remember your password and Mi Account No. Set up a recovery email.

If you don't sign in you have issues according to my experience.

Remember to sign out when you get rid of the phone or the next person wont be able to sign in.

I think anyways. Have used Xiaomi now since the Redmi Note 4 and carry my account over.

4. I am not worried about privacy. Too late for that. Google. Microsoft. Apple. PnP. Facebook.... the list goes on.

For what it matters, I think there is box you tick telling them not to collect information. Lol.

I don't use Mi Cloud. I do use Find Device.
Thanks for the detailed response, I appreciate it.

Point 3 Is a deal breaker for me, and to a degree point 4.

Ah I guess I'll just have to sell it...:(

RedViking

Nord of the South
Thanks for the detailed response, I appreciate it.

Point 3 Is a deal breaker for me, and to a degree point 4.

Ah I guess I'll just have to sell it...:(
Maybe just check the Xiaomi thread. Maybe it is not necessary.

lambch0p

sorry I know this thread is really long and detailed and I honestly don't want to have to go through pages...
But it's only like 8 pages.. :unsure:
AFAIK; there isn't a 6/64gb Note 9S, perhaps you mean the '9 Pro'?

Care to mention what phone you currently have?
Are you sure you would want to? I found it to be pretty 'clean' for me. There is a 'MIUI Optimizations' setting, which if turned off; can change some elements to stock Android I believe...but I'm not clued up on that, and have only turned it off temporarily when needing to install/update certain apps (like YouTube Vanced) which ask for it.
None. I only use a couple/few. The rest just sit unused and don't do/bother anything.
No you don't have to. I never have on my current, and previous Redmi. Only account is my google.
No, not personally. With such a wide user base, I'd expect/hope things like that would be found and addressed if/when needed.

@RedViking How's that new update been treating you?

maq_

But it's only like 8 pages.. :unsure:

AFAIK; there isn't a 6/64gb Note 9S, perhaps you mean the '9 Pro'?

I did started reading it, got to page 3 and said I'll continue again at a later stage.

yes, it's the 9 pro

Care to mention what phone you currently have?

I have the Samsung m30s. 128gb and 6gb ram version. The cpu is slower and it has slower charging speeds (but like Viking said If you charge overnight it's not a big deal) but it does have AMOLED screen and slightly bigger batter.
Are you sure you would want to? I found it to be pretty 'clean' for me. There is a 'MIUI Optimizations' setting, which if turned off; can change some elements to stock Android I believe...but I'm not clued up on that, and have only turned it off temporarily when needing to install/update certain apps (like YouTube Vanced) which ask for it.

I used an older Xiaomi before, the preinstalled apps and just the Xiaomi icons were a bit cartoonish for me. Prefer the stock look way more.

None. I only use a couple/few. The rest just sit unused and don't do/bother.

No you don't have to. I never have on my current, and previous Redmi. Only account is my google.

No, not personally. With such a wide user base, I'd expect/hope things like that would be found and addressed if/when needed.

There is a lot of apps being banned and stuff at the moment for exactly this reason. And highly likely more will be banned soon.

On a side note, I must say that the phone feels really solid and premium with the glass sandwich design. Something you don't see in sub 4.5k phones.

I also like the fact the the fingerprint scanner is side mounted. Similar to the Xperia ZX1.

I'm even more confused on whether to keep it or sell now.

RedViking

Nord of the South

I've only notice a small issue with the photo gallery. When I edit a photo and come back to the folder the original disappear and the edited photo disappears. Later it shows again. So I need to check if it is a bug or what is going on there.

Other than that I haven't noticed a difference.

JOEY_8

Only issue I encountered with this update is that sometimes the phone randomly freezes after a few days.
It happened while I was using Chrome and once while Spotify was running in the background. Very random

When I tried to reboot it got stuck on the Redmi Screen so I had to hard reboot.