• You are losing out on amazing benefits because you are not a member. Join for free. Register now.
  • Samsung Pay Giveaway - Win a Samsung Connect & Control Speaker and other prizes. Enter Here.
  • Audi e-tron Giveaway - Win prizes worth R3,000 Enter Here.

[XS vs X] Still worth paying the new premium?

kwaggawerner

Hi Guys,

I'm looking at buying my first iPhone - I'm sick and tired of Samsung and their software issues, even though I'll miss FNB Pay (NFC payment)

So I wanted to ask, iPhone XS 64GB is a whole R200 a month more (R4800 extra over the contract period) - compared to the iPhone X, which is now R850/pm (Telkom Freeme 2GB, my current contract, which is great). The XS will be R1050pm when it's available.

Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Sumen

Expert Member
Hi Guys,

I'm looking at buying my first iPhone - I'm sick and tired of Samsung and their software issues, even though I'll miss FNB Pay (NFC payment)

So I wanted to ask, iPhone XS 64GB is a whole R200 a month more (R4800 extra over the contract period) - compared to the iPhone X, which is now R850/pm (Telkom Freeme 2GB, my current contract, which is great). The XS will be R1050pm when it's available.

You do know there are other brands than just Samsung and Apple.

You could also look at :
LG G7 ThinQ
Sony Xperia XZ2 or XZ3(if it ever arrives in SA)
LG V30+
Huawei Mate 10 Pro
Huawei P20 Pro.

mmmig

Honorary Master
Hi Guys,

Have you tried Samsung Pay yet? If you like FNB pay you'd probably like Samsung pay

Dazzla

Heres what the R4800 will get you:

The phones are identical except for the gold colour.
Improved performance with the new chip on geekbench, in real time you probably wont be able to tell the differance.
Better face id but that hasn't been reviewed as yet so can't help you there.
Improved cameras but not by much.
Dual Sim.
Improved battery but early reviews suggest similar on screen time.
Minor upgrades with the s version from apple is typical.

whatwhat

Executive Member
Heres what the R4800 will get you:

The phones are identical except for the gold colour.
Improved performance with the new chip on geekbench, in real time you probably wont be able to tell the differance.
Better face id but that hasn't been reviewed as yet so can't help you there.
Improved cameras but not by much.
Dual Sim.
Improved battery but early reviews suggest similar on screen time.
Minor upgrades with the s version from apple is typical.
I travel a lot so the esim is worth it for me. Well it will be in the future when more providers support it.

Instead of having to buy a local Sim you just activate the same plan you would have bought as the plane lands without having to find a cell shop first.

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
Neither.

Buy an iPhone 8 or wait a couple of months for that X to be R500 a month instead.