Yengeni to spend first weekend at home...

love56k

Expert Member
after only 11 weeks in prison?! :mad:

http://www.mg.co.za/articlePage.aspx?articleid=289660&area=/breaking_news/breaking_news__national/

However, departmental spokesperson Luphumzo Kebeni said Yengeni has merely been interviewed by the prison's case-management committee, which recommended that Yengeni be freed early next year.

"That has not been approved or finalised because that has still to be endorsed by the parole board," he said

meanwhile... back at the ranch... http://www.sabcnews.com/south_africa/crime1justice/0,2172,138247,00.html

Judge Seraj Desai, the national chairperson of the Parole Board, says Yengeni is entitled to a parole like any other offender He says all prisoners are entitled to be released on weekends in the periods leading up to the actual release on parole. The decision is not made by any political authority - it is made by a parole board at the centre where a particular offender is detained.
:rolleyes:

Syndyre

Honorary Master
In terms of the Parole and Correctional Supervision Act, he becomes eligible for release under correctional supervision after serving a sixth of his remaining sentence.
Is it just me or is that a joke? Its bad enough when people serve half their sentence, but a SIXTH? Just shows the law in this country effectively means nothing.

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master
It drives me up the wall really. Granted the law DOES allow for this kind of thing, but still what will his community service be?... Driving around in his lil Merc lording it over all the little people? He should be made to work as the tea boy in some real company, and have to work his way up, which he will never do. but i'm not going to rant much more than this now, its too early.

bekdik

Honorary Master
Is it just me or is that a joke? Its bad enough when people serve half their sentence, but a SIXTH? Just shows the law in this country effectively means nothing.

What law? Unenforced law = no law.

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master
Problem is this whole issue of serving a sixth of their sentence is actually a part of the law as far as I can tell, as long as you aren't serving time for a violent crime. It still smacks of anarchy and bull**** but yeah, like I said somewhere else, my view on the law is heavily skewed by ethics and morals so I'll be like way out wrong.

Syndyre

Honorary Master
Jut because its part of the law doesn't mean it should be or that its right.

Chris_the_Brit

High Tory
And too make you all feel more comfortable...

The Department of Correctional Services said it released on weekend parole 80 to 90 offenders a month who had received a date for release under correctional supervision.

A total of 22 offenders benefited from this in the Western Cape this month, with three this weekend alone, spokesman Manelisi Wolela said.

They were Yengeni, Wynand du Toit and Jan Conradie.

This is because the three men were all sentenced under Section 276 (1) of the Criminal Procedure Act that provided for conversion of sentences into community corrections after serving only a sixth of their sentences as inmates.
Just makes me feel safe at night :sick:

repitah

So that means Shabir can be out in 2.5-3 years? Bet he'll sit longer though.

Syndyre

Honorary Master
I don't understand why the government continues to insist on protecting these people and giving them untold benefits while the innocent populace is being continually attacked by them.

kilps

Expert Member
Um - notice the mention of Section 276 (1) of the Criminal Procedure Act - these are non-violent criminals ...

And at least AFAIK he cannot become an MP again because of his 12 month jail sentence without an option of a fine ....

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master
kingmonty, please... what maths did you do... must have been Apartheid maths...
and don't you know not to question the government, they just KNOW ok... and 1/6 of 4 years is 4 months..... i think they should teach everyone their maths, like telkom have their own official maths as well...

love56k

Expert Member
i caught a glimpse of parliament on tv during my rushed lunch hour yesterday...
was quite amused by ncondo balfour referring to yengeni as "offender yengeni" :D :D

lol.. no more "comrade yengeni"... ncondo is da moer in! and rightfully so ;)

noxibox

Honorary Master
He should be made to work as the tea boy in some real company, and have to work his way up
Send him to work with the guys that maintain the sewage equipment. You know the ones that have to wade into the stuff to clear blockages and such.