You are going to pay for e-tolls whether they are scrapped or not: minister

PaulMurkin

Expert Member
we did vote ANC, so why complain?
we let them have Carte Blance on the country, cant blame them for using it.
and turning SA into a sh1th0le.
I didn't let them do anything. I resisted them at every turn, I voted against them, there was not much else I could do. I refused to pay when I used to live in JHB, in fact I burnt all their invoices

Lupus

Honorary Master
Correction... we have already paid for e-tolls several times over, through corruption, over-taxation, inequitable tax distribution, over-reliance on the fuel-levy, tyre-levy, plastic-bag levy, etc... etc... etc.. ad nauseam...
Well we are with the current petrol tax being 40% of our prices but hey.

x32

E-tolls were introduced in 2013.

Debts older than three years prescribe and become legally unenforceable.

There is no way that the government can legally compel anyone to pay for e-toll debt older than three years.

As for me, I will continue to pay what I have paid since e-tolls were first introduced - nothing.

Chinmaya

PAYE TO GANGSSARS
VAT
FUEL TAX
RATES AND TAXES
SEWER TAX
REFUSE TAX
WATER
ESKOM INFRASTRUCTURE CHARGES
TV LICENSE
ETOLLS

After paying all that we get ZERO from the govt back and they want even more to fill their pits/bottomless buckets.

Did I miss anything?

eg2505

Honorary Master
I didn't let them do anything. I resisted them at every turn, I voted against them, there was not much else I could do. I refused to pay when I used to live in JHB, in fact I burnt all their invoices
but the majority voted ANC and voted for this corruption,
so now they complain bitterly, so again, whats the point in complaining?

you voted ANC you knew what the ANC were, you gave they your vote willingly, so sit and enjoy the fruits of your labors.
yes, I agree not everybody voted, but the majority did, and what does it matter what a Tiny minority says, the Majority wanted the ANC, so here they are.
and here is their bloody corrupt and ridiculous Etolls still active despite the fact almost nobody and their dog pays for it,

but the contracts are air and watertight, so it aint going away , not till the ANC is ground to dust.
or a civil war breaks out and a Vehicle (Tank?) smashes the Gantries to scrap metal.

Chinmaya

As someone said in some other post, it is all due to the minority that voted. Majority never went to vote. Best example is local municipal elections with a voter turn out across the SA at 46%, some provinces it is below 30%. The 54% were busy with the slow boiling effect and loving it and some of them like you and me come bitching about it here

ToxicBunny

Oi! Leave me out of this...

There is no way that the government can legally compel anyone to pay for e-toll debt older than three years.

As for me, I will continue to pay what I have paid since e-tolls were first introduced - nothing.

I would also think that for a Debt to be valid in that fashion a contract has to be entered into in the first place.. and I know SANRAL wanted this to be labelled as a tax and I think they got cock-blocked on that.

grok

Honorary Master
Come at me bro, gather your pathetic stealing guava mint mofos and come for us if you're so convinced you're gonna win this fight.

When the DA miesies suggested we pay for it with a few cents on top of the fuel levy we would have paid it off by now, but then how would you corrupt-koppies steal other people's money then?

petum

My SO insists on paying etols so we don't have to wait at toll gates on way to holiday and cos of covid.

Granted this is only on my thursty holiday cab and it actually works.

Lupus

Honorary Master
My SO insists on paying etols so we don't have to wait at toll gates on way to holiday and cos of covid.

Granted this is only on my thursty holiday cab and it actually works.
Those aren't the same as the etolls on all highways in GP.

PaulMurkin

Expert Member
PAYE TO GANGSSARS
VAT
FUEL TAX
RATES AND TAXES
SEWER TAX
REFUSE TAX
WATER
ESKOM INFRASTRUCTURE CHARGES
TV LICENSE
ETOLLS
DIAMETER OF WATER PIPE TAX
SOLAR PANEL TAX

After paying all that we get ZERO from the govt back and they want even more to fill their pits/bottomless buckets.

Did I miss anything?
Yes you did, added them in for you

rvZA

Honorary Master
We must all pay our fair share....
Those aren't the same as the etolls on all highways in GP.

I almost think on the N3 to Durban, they have a specific gate if you have e-Toll device and you can pass there. I stand corrected though.

Lupus

Honorary Master
We must all pay our fair share....

I almost think on the N3 to Durban, they have a specific gate if you have e-Toll device and you can pass there. I stand corrected though.
They have one for etags, but it takes like a minute to pay and drive through

pb41

Unfortunately debts owed to the State prescribe only after 15 years and not 3 as is normally the case.

Geoff.D

Honorary Master

Me too. The difference is I just don't use the highways ----- simple, no sweat no hassle.

rvZA

Honorary Master
Unfortunately debts owed to the State prescribe only after 15 years and not 3 as is normally the case.

First off, if they cannot fine or prosecute a person in a court of law for using the eToll roads without paying, then these roads are not covered under any law or act.

Secondly, there can exist no debt where there is no written or oral agreement agreed to by both parties.

Again, f**k them all.

The_MAC

Executive Member
We could have paid less and paid for the upgrades a few times over if your ruling party didn't wrap it in a corrupt administrative scheme!