You be the coach: Pick your 30-man RWC squad.

thestaggy

Honorary Master
I've just seen P.Divvy's latest training camp and I'm not too impressed. Granted, he did say those not selected are not neccessarily out of Bok selection (which means Ricky Januarie's fat a$$ may well be damaging benches all over New Zealand), but there are a few glaring ommissions (No Sarel Pretorius? Seriously?) and a few odd choices based more on reputation than on form (I'm looking at you, Bryan Habana!).

I am also a little tired of his reluctance to give our young stars a run and his insistance on using war horses that are seriously need to be put to international pastrures. John Smit is a great man, a great captain and WAS a great player. Take note of the word "was", and the emphasis placed on it.

So, I'll pick a squad based more on form than reputation and leave it up to you folks to comment on it and/or submit your own squads.

Run-on XV (Fitness/health permitting);
1 - Tendai ''Beast'' Mtawarira/Coenie Oosthuizen
2 - Bismarck du Plessis
3 - Jannie du Plessis
4 - Andries Bekker (out of position, is a #5, but no other form #4 locks)
5 - Victor Matfield (c)
6 - Schalk Burger
7 - Juan Smith
8 - Willem Alberts
9 - Sarel Pretorius
10 - Pat Lambie (Option at both inside centre & fullback as well)
11 - Bjorn Basson
12 - Jean de Villiers
13 - Jaque Fourie
14 - JP Pietersen
15 - Gio Aplon

Bench;
16 - Adriaan Strauss
17 - Coenie Oosthuizen/Tendai ''Beast'' Mtawarira
18 - Alistair Hargreaves
19 - Duane Vermeulen
20 - Francois Hougaard (Utility back)
21 - Morne Steyn
22 - Juan de Jongh

Reserves;
Hooker - Deon Fourie
Prop - WP Nel (Not many options in SA at tighthead, but this guy is a monster with gleaming admirations coming from his coach Os du Randt)
Lock - Rocky Elstadt (Future Bok #4 & only #4 on form currently)
Loosie - Keegan Daniel
Scrumhalf - Fourie du Preez
Flyhalf - Peter Grant
Wing - Lwazi Mvovo
30th man - Francois Louw (Loosie) or Frans Steyn (Utility back)

You could sacrifice Deon Fourie to accomodate both Louw & Frans Steyn.

hungrybeaver

Expert Member
The major problem I have with the Springbok team is that no matter how well any flyhalves in the country play, Morne Steyn will still be #10. He is first choice because of his kicking record. I am not a Steyn fan and would rather see Lambie starting, but then we'll have a kicking for poles problem and for international rugby you need to take the points when the opportunity arises. When Steyn kicks for poles you are guaranteed points. If someone else in the team was able to kick (a la Percy Montgomery) our back line would definitely benefit from having a more attacking flyhalf. Until someone in the team can kick for poles like Morne (and has a 90% record), I don't think we'll see a change at flyhalf any time soon.

If a more attacking flyhalf was introduced, he should be able to create more opportunities for the ball to go wide. And the way our wingers have been playing lately they should be able to convert the possession into points.

Can't wait for the international season to start!

I've just seen P.Divvy's latest training camp and I'm not too impressed. Granted, he did say those not selected are not neccessarily out of Bok selection (which means Ricky Januarie's fat a$$ may well be damaging benches all over New Zealand), but there are a few glaring ommissions (No Sarel Pretorius? Seriously?) and a few odd choices based more on reputation than on form (I'm looking at you, Bryan Habana!).

I am also a little tired of his reluctance to give our young stars a run and his insistance on using war horses that are seriously need to be put to international pastrures. John Smit is a great man, a great captain and WAS a great player. Take note of the word "was", and the emphasis placed on it.

So, I'll pick a squad based more on form than reputation and leave it up to you folks to comment on it and/or submit your own squads.

Run-on XV (Fitness/health permitting);
2 - Bismarck du Plessis
3 - Jannie du Plessis
5 - Victor Matfield (c)
6 - Schalk Burger
7 - Juan Smith
8 - Willem Alberts (Duane Vermeulen)
9 - Sarel Pretorius (Fourie de Preez)
10 - Pat Lambie (Option at both inside centre & fullback as well) (Peter Grant)
11 - Bjorn Basson (Brian Habana)
12 - Jean de Villiers (Juan de Jong)
13 - Jaque Fourie
14 - JP Pietersen (Jean de Villiers)
15 - Gio Aplon

Bench;
16 - Adriaan Strauss
18 - Alistair Hargreaves (Nic Koster)
19 - Duane Vermeulen
20 - Francois Hougaard (Utility back)
21 - Morne Steyn
22 - Juan de Jongh (Johan Sadie)

Reserves;
Hooker - Deon Fourie
Prop - WP Nel (Not many options in SA at tighthead, but this guy is a monster with gleaming admirations coming from his coach Os du Randt)
Loosie - Keegan Daniel
Flyhalf - Peter Grant
Wing - Lwazi Mvovo

You could sacrifice Deon Fourie to accomodate both Louw & Frans Steyn.
My team above in brackets

thestaggy

Honorary Master
The major problem I have with the Springbok team is that no matter how well any flyhalves in the country play, Morne Steyn will still be #10. He is first choice because of his kicking record. I am not a Steyn fan and would rather see Lambie starting, but then we'll have a kicking for poles problem and for international rugby you need to take the points when the opportunity arises. When Steyn kicks for poles you are guaranteed points. If someone else in the team was able to kick (a la Percy Montgomery) our back line would definitely benefit from having a more attacking flyhalf. Until someone in the team can kick for poles like Morne (and has a 90% record), I don't think we'll see a change at flyhalf any time soon.

If a more attacking flyhalf was introduced, he should be able to create more opportunities for the ball to go wide. And the way our wingers have been playing lately they should be able to convert the possession into points.

Can't wait for the international season to start!
You do have a great point with regards to goalkicking. I'd probably say that in a World Cup environment, where teams tend to play more conservative rugby, Steyn would honestly be the safer option. However, in any other format, Tri Nations included, I'd go with Lambie. Maybe Lambie off the bench? Steyn could secure you some points for 60-odd minutes, then release Lambie.

thestaggy

Honorary Master
My team above in brackets
I'm a little confused with your choices in the backline. Fourie and de Villiers have to be the best midfield combination in the country. Would the Stormers not play de Jongh ahead of de Villiers if they felt otherwise?

And not being disrespectful, but what has Habana done to deserve a Bok spot in your opinion? Form or reputation pick? To me he has not looked like international material for about 2 seasons now, and at times in the Super Rugby competition this season I felt a run out for WP in the Vodacom Cup would have done him a world of good. He's just too out of sorts. JP Pietersen & Bjorn Basson are in far better form than he is. I'd put Francois Hougaard on the wing before him as well.

SeRpEnT

Expert Member
Not bad. I agree with most. My team in bold.

2 - Bismarck du Plessis
3 - Jannie du Plessis
5 - Victor Matfield (c)
6 - Schalk Burger on bench only. Heinrich Brussouw (Hope he is not injured again!)
7 - Juan Smith
8 - Willem Alberts
9 - Sarel Pretorius
10 - Pat Lambie 3Nations: Sias Ebersohn (gets backline away and solid player) W/cup: Peter Grant (good kicking boot)
11 - Bjorn Basson
12 - Jean de Villiers
13 - Jaque Fourie
14 - JP Pietersen
15 - Gio Aplon

Bench;
16 - Adriaan Strauss
18 - Alistair Hargreaves Nic Koster (explosive!)
19 - Duane Vermeulen Schalk Burger (will make a good impact player. good for ferocious tackling should we need to defend a score late in game)
20 - Francois Hougaard (Utility back) Johan Sadie
21 - Morne Steyn Pat Lambie
22 - Juan de Jongh

Reserves;
Hooker - Deon Fourie
Loosie - Keegan Daniel Duane Vermeulen
Flyhalf - Peter Grant Morne Steyn
Wing - Lwazi Mvovo

Not bad. I agree with most. My team in bold.

2 - Bismarck du Plessis
3 - Jannie du Plessis
5 - Victor Matfield (c)
6 - Schalk Burger. Heinrich Brussouw (Hope he is not injured again!) Brussouw needs game time and he is out of form currently - always start with Schalk
7 - Juan Smith
8 - Duane Vermeulen (Willem Alberts on bench)
9 - Fourie de Preez (Duvenage on bench)
10 -Peter Grant (good kicking boot and consistent) Morne Steyn on bench
11 - Brian Habana will always be picked of his reputation no matter what (Johan Sadie as backup)
12 - Jean de Villiers (Juan de Jong backup)
13 - Jaque Fourie
14 - Mivovo
15 - Gio Aplon (Frans Steyn backup)

hungrybeaver

Expert Member
After seeing James play this weekend I think he could be a strong contender for flyhalf. His kicking is spot on (think he got 100%) and he gets the ball out. Plus he is strong on defence.

thestaggy

Honorary Master
After seeing James play this weekend I think he could be a strong contender for flyhalf. His kicking is spot on (think he got 100%) and he gets the ball out. Plus he is strong on defence.
Yeah, he had a great game. Then he went and blotted it with that stupid attempted decapitation of Keegan Daniels. I still don't know how we got through 2007 without him doing something stupid on defence.

ufis

Banned for trolling & disrupting the forum
The major problem I have with the Springbok team is that no matter how well any flyhalves in the country play, Morne Steyn will still be #10.
You have to remember that Morne plays to the game plan set out by the coach.
He has shown that he can run the ball and get the backline going. That is just not always in the Bulls' game plan.
Besides his good goal kicking his tactical kicking is brilliant. Play him outside du Preez and the other team is likely to have problems.
He may not be the best at attacking rugby, but he is still the best all round flyhalf in the country, and at least top 3 in the world.
Anyway, both coaches that won World Cups with the Boks said that defense wins World Cups.

Team:
Unfortunately the front row is a shambles with John Smit as captain. While being a great captain he is just not the #1 choice for any position.
4. Bekker
5. Matfield
6. Schalk
7. Juan
8. Danie Rossouw (This guy is currently playing better rugby than he did in 2007)
9. Fourie du Preez (I will take him blindfolded with his shoe laces tied together over anyone else)
10. Morne
11. Basson
12. Jean de Villiers
13. Jaque Fourie
14. Pieterson or Mvovo or Aplon
15. Frans Steyn (I have not seen him play as of late, but a few of the commentators rate him - if he sucks move Aplon in here)

Albereth

Honorary Master
1 - Tendai ''Beast'' Mtawarira (Sharks)
2 - Bismarck du Plessis (Sharks)
3 - Jannie du Plessis (Sharks)
4 - Andries Bekker (Stormers)
5 - Victor Matfield (c) (Bulls)
6 - Ashley Johnston (Cheetahs)
7 - Juan Smith (Cheetahs)
8 - Willem Alberts (Sharks)
9 - Charl McCloud (Sharks)
10 - Butch James (Lions)
11 - Lwasi Mvovo (Sharks)
12 - Jean de Villiers (Stormers)
13 - Jaque Fourie (Stormers)
14 - JP Pietersen (Sharks)
15 - Pat Lambie (Sharks)

Last edited:

Noob-Noob

Executive Member
1. D.Greyling (better ball carrier than Beast, i think he got the overhand over Beast this weekend at scrum time as well)
2.B.du Plessis (his role as a fetcher as well is worth gold)
3.W.Nel
4.D.Rossouw (on form Danie is a very very dangerous Danie)
5.V.Matfield © (would have preferred Bekker but we need a captain)
6.H.Brussouw (do i need to explain this one?)
7.S.Burger (playing like a man possessed, the old Schalk is back)
8.J.Smith (Difficult choice, Pierre is back on form, Vermeulen playing good, but can we afford not to play Smith?, also strong contender for Captain)
9.S.Pretorius (another difficult choice, best scrumhalf of the Super15 this year, but will his game suite the springbok game)
10.P.Grant (good kicking, good defence, good on attacking, my answer for Dan Carter)
11.JP.Pietersen (strong, fast, good defence, a must)
12.J.de Jong (good defence, explosive pace)
13.J.Fourie (a man that needs no intro, he has it all, best nr 13 in the world
14.B.Basson (what a fantastic attacking player, one of the best try creators out there, some questions about his defence but a wing is not selected for his defence, a definite must)
15.P.Lambie (another difficult choice, Gio has the pace and good under the high ball, but has a poor boot and do you want him as your last line of defence, Zane is also good under the high ball, great boot but he is unpredictable sometimes, i think Lambie might be the answer

16.A.Straus
17.C.Oosthuizen / CJ van der Linde
18.A.Bekker
19.P.Spies
20.F.du Preez
21.J.de Villiers
22.G.Applon

Bizkit87

Executive Member
1. Tendai ''Beast'' Mtawarira / D. Greyling
2. Bismark du Plessis / G. Botha [if anything, he deserves to go to WC more than most players in SA, he's been solid for the last 10 years, but unable to pip "captain awesome"]
3. Guthro Steenkamp / Jannie du Plessis
4. Andries Bekker / Bakkies Botha
5. Victor Matfield / Danie Rossouw [can cover 4-8]
6. Heinrich Brussouw /
7. Schalk Burger / Ashley Johson [6 or 7, we should take this guy to wc]
8. Pierre Spies / Juan Smith
9. Francois Hougaard / Fourie de Preez / Sarel Pretorius
10. Morne Steyn / Butch James [ as backup]
11. Bjorn Basson / Bryan Habanna [think Basson has outshine Habanna now for last 2 seasons - Currie Cup + this year's S15].
12. Jean de Villiers/ Juan de Jong
13. Jacque Fourie /
14. L Mvovo / JP Pietersen/ Gerhard van den Heever[can be Fullback backup to Lambie as well]
15. Pat Lambie / Gio Aplon [took me few years to take a liking to Gio, but he has a place in our Setup.

I will take this team. think its way more balanced than some of the SHARKS = 1-8, STORMERS = 9-15 teams we got going on here.

thestaggy

Honorary Master
I think it's pretty easy to pick the eventual starting squad. P.Divvy has proven to be almost afraid to divert from Jake White's squad and especially reluctant to give youngsters a shot, and I feel he will be even more cautious in a world cup year. I bet he's going to pick the 2007 squad almost to the tee.

1 - Beast Mtawarira/Guthro Steenkamp
2 - Bismarck du Plessis
3 - John Smit
4 - Bakkies Botha
5 - Victor Matfield
6 - Schalk Burger
7 - Juan Smith (Fitness permitting)
8 - Pierre Spies (I'll burst into tears)
9 - Fourie du Preez
10 - Morne Steyn
11 - Bryan Habana (I'll hang myself)
12 - Jean de Villiers
13 - Jaque Fourie
14 - JP Pietersen/Bjorn Basson
15 - Gio Aplon

16 - Guthro Steenkamp/Beast Mtawarira
17 - Jannie du Plessis/CJ van der Linde/BJ Botha
18 - Andries Bekker/Johann Muller
19 - Ryan Kankowski/Willem Alberts
20 - Francois Hougaard
21 - Pat Lambie
22 - Juan de Jongh

thestaggy

Honorary Master
19 of them will stay at home.
I hope that Adrian Jacobs and Enrico Januarie are amongst those 19.
I second you on that, and add Pierre Spies, Deon Stegman (This guys could lose you a game with his bonehead penalties) and Bryan Habana (He last looked good in 2008) to the list.

1 - Beast Mtawarira/Guthro Steenkamp
2 - Bismarck du Plessis
3 - Jannie du Plessis
4 - Andries Bekker
5 - Victor Matfield
6 - Heinrich Brussouw
7 - Schalk Burger
8 - Juan Smith
9 - Fourie du Preez
10 - Morne Steyn
11 - Bryan Habana
12 - Jean de Villiers
13 - Jaque Fourie
14 - JP Pietersen
15 - Gio Aplon

16 - Guthro Steenkamp
17 - Jannie du Plessis/CJ van der Linde
18 - Bakkies Botha/Francois Louw
19 - Willem Alberts/Nic Koster
20 - Francois Hougaard/Frans Steyn
21 - Peter Grant/Pat Lambie
22 - Juan de Jongh/Johan Sadie

This is a good all-round 1st team

ufis

Banned for trolling & disrupting the forum
I see most predictions puts a 4/3 (forwards/backs) on the bench.
I almost feel the need to have a full replacement front row on the bench. (The alternative is to play Smit at 3 and move him to 2 if Bismark gets injured - but Smit sucks on 3 - more so than on 2)
3 front row replacements leave 1 more forward - and only Danie Rossouw can fill anything from 4 to 8.

I would rather go with a 5/2 split. Giving you the extra utility forward.
Then you need a replacement scrummy/utility back (like Hougaard or Pienaar)
And a replacement kicker if you are not starting with one on fullback.

Tough choices. We have many good players in some of the key positions. Too bad some of them will have to stay home.