You be the coach: Pick your 30-man RWC squad.

thestaggy

Honorary Master
I would rather go with a 5/2 split. Giving you the extra utility forward.
Then you need a replacement scrummy/utility back (like Hougaard or Pienaar)
And a replacement kicker if you are not starting with one on fullback.
I think carrying 2 backs is very risky. You'll have to rely on player versaitility to get away with that and Gio Aplon and Jean de Villiers are the only two likely starters that can play more than 1 position. Jean can play 12 or 14, while Aplon can play 14 or 15. And if you look at the likely starting combinations, we'll have a problem with cover at centre. To get away with two backs on the bench it will have to be Francois Hougaard (9, 11 & 14) and Pat Lambie (10 & 15), and it's only Lambie that may possibly work at 12. I believe Juan de Jongh has to be on the bench to cover 12 & 13. But you can't go de Jongh with one of the others as now you would lose cover at scrumhalf or flyhalf. 2 backs would leave us too thin.

Devill

Damned
The major problem I have with the Springbok team is that no matter how well any flyhalves in the country play, Morne Steyn will still be #10. He is first choice because of his kicking record. I am not a Steyn fan and would rather see Lambie starting, but then we'll have a kicking for poles problem and for international rugby you need to take the points when the opportunity arises. When Steyn kicks for poles you are guaranteed points. If someone else in the team was able to kick (a la Percy Montgomery) our back line would definitely benefit from having a more attacking flyhalf. Until someone in the team can kick for poles like Morne (and has a 90% record), I don't think we'll see a change at flyhalf any time soon.

If a more attacking flyhalf was introduced, he should be able to create more opportunities for the ball to go wide. And the way our wingers have been playing lately they should be able to convert the possession into points.

Can't wait for the international season to start!
I agree to an extent but Test rugby is not S15 ruby nor is it always the prettiest of games. Steyn started as a inside centre iirc and thus I am sure he could be more attacking but I think his orders come from Ludeke and Pdivvy to play the way he is playing.

Sad fact but the best defensive team with the pest goal kicker nomally wins the WC :/

I'm a little confused with your choices in the backline. Fourie and de Villiers have to be the best midfield combination in the country. Would the Stormers not play de Jongh ahead of de Villiers if they felt otherwise?

And not being disrespectful, but what has Habana done to deserve a Bok spot in your opinion? Form or reputation pick? To me he has not looked like international material for about 2 seasons now, and at times in the Super Rugby competition this season I felt a run out for WP in the Vodacom Cup would have done him a world of good. He's just too out of sorts. JP Pietersen & Bjorn Basson are in far better form than he is. I'd put Francois Hougaard on the wing before him as well.
So because the Stormers had Januarie as first choice for a while he is the best? I would have liked to see more of De Jongh this season and liked that they moved Mr Glass to the wing and gave de Jongh a go in mid-field.

19 of them will stay at home.
I hope that Adrian Jacobs and Enrico Januarie are amongst those 19.
Wish granted!

this is looking good. any room for Frans Steyn?
I would not pick him as he is to slow and he is really not all that great anymore. the Northen Hemisphere has screwed with his running and attacking play imo although it might have improved his kicking and positional play.
I rated him as my first choice Fullback about 15 months ago because of his size speed and big boot but then he showed how slow he was in the Tri-nations / end of year tour..... Now I would not give him a run unless he proves me wrong maybe in the Tri-Nations.

1) Coenie Oosthuizen (boasts surprising pace for a man of his colossal weight (127 kg) he ended the 2010 Currie Cup season as the Cheetahs top try scorer)
2) Bismarck du Plessis / Adriaan Strauss
3) Jannie du Plessis
4) Flip vd Merwe / Hargreaves
5) Victor Matfield
6) Brussouw / J. Smith / Louw
7) Schalk Burger
8) Willem Alberts / Ashley Johnson (Best 8th man in the S15 imo well that or the hardest working)
9) Fourie "There can be only one" Du Preez
10) Morne Steyn
11) Bjorn Basson
12) De Jongh / De Villiers (With the other on the bench)
13) J. Fourie
14) Mvovo
15) Gio Aplon (Really has shown he can be a big plus)

16) Guthro Steenkamp
17) Bismarck du Plessis / Adriaan Strauss
18) Danie Russouw
19) De villiers / de Jongh
20) Hougaard
21) Tendai Mtawarira
22) Lambie / Butch

thestaggy

Honorary Master
I
So because the Stormers had Januarie as first choice for a while he is the best? I would have liked to see more of De Jongh this season and liked that they moved Mr Glass to the wing and gave de Jongh a go in mid-field.
Who were the options at scrumhalf aside from Ricky? Any starting Boks or world renowned players? Dewaldt is only 23 and has in fact started ahead of Ricky on a number of occassions, this season and last. And I am not the only one to think that the de Villiers-Fourie is the best in the country and one of the best in the world. The Crusaders themselves said earlier in the season that Sonny Bill Williams and Robbie Fruean will not find a tougher challenge anywhere in the world with SBW himself acknowledging the duo's status as the world's premier centre combination and the ultimate yard-stick to measure himself against. de Jongh is a fantastic centre himself and a definite future starting Bok.

hungrybeaver

Expert Member
I agree to an extent but Test rugby is not S15 ruby nor is it always the prettiest of games. Steyn started as a inside centre iirc and thus I am sure he could be more attacking but I think his orders come from Ludeke and Pdivvy to play the way he is playing.

Sad fact but the best defensive team with the pest goal kicker nomally wins the WC :/

/snip

1) Coenie Oosthuizen (boasts surprising pace for a man of his colossal weight (127 kg) he ended the 2010 Currie Cup season as the Cheetahs top try scorer)
3) Jannie du Plessis
5) Victor Matfield
7) Schalk Burger
8) Willem Alberts / Ashley Johnson (Best 8th man in the S15 imo well that or the hardest working)
10) Morne Steyn
11) Bjorn Basson
13) J. Fourie
14) Mvovo

16) Guthro Steenkamp
18) Danie Russouw
20) Hougaard
21) Tendai Mtawarira
22) Lambie / Butch
Agree. We need wins even if we don't play flash rugby. I want to add that the northern hemisphere are more tuned to the international playing style than our guys and I hope we adjust quickly.

Out of all the teams posted so far this is one I like the most. I'd make 2 changes though:

11. [-]Basson[/-] Lwazi Mvovo (Two weeks ago JPP showed that Basson is not good on defence.)
14. [-]Mvovo[/-] JP Pieterson

Mvovs is more suited to left wing. And Pieterson performing the way he has been will get the 14 jersey.

Last edited:

Stevie G

Banned

Wish granted!

I would not pick him as he is to slow and he is really not all that great anymore. the Northen Hemisphere has screwed with his running and attacking play imo although it might have improved his kicking and positional play.
I rated him as my first choice Fullback about 15 months ago because of his size speed and big boot but then he showed how slow he was in the Tri-nations / end of year tour..... Now I would not give him a run unless he proves me wrong maybe in the Tri-Nations.

3) Jannie du Plessis
5) Victor Matfield
7) Schalk Burger
10) Morne Steyn
11) Bjorn Basson
13) J. Fourie
14) Mvovo

16) Guthro Steenkamp
18) Danie Russouw
20) Hougaard
21) Tendai Mtawarira
22) Lambie / Butch
you have too many inexperieced players in your team. will nevr work against the all blacks and wallabies.
the front pick themselves (sharks front row and they play together every week.
you tell me Andries Bekker do not deserve to start. he is our best and inform lock atm.
habana will always be picked above any other wing because of his experience. get that in your head.
Peter Grant has been our most consistent flyhalve this year. i find it shocking that he is not even in the bok squad.

Devill

Damned
Who were the options at scrumhalf aside from Ricky? Any starting Boks or world renowned players? Dewaldt is only 23 and has in fact started ahead of Ricky on a number of occassions, this season and last. And I am not the only one to think that the de Villiers-Fourie is the best in the country and one of the best in the world. The Crusaders themselves said earlier in the season that Sonny Bill Williams and Robbie Fruean will not find a tougher challenge anywhere in the world with SBW himself acknowledging the duo's status as the world's premier centre combination and the ultimate yard-stick to measure himself against. de Jongh is a fantastic centre himself and a definite future starting Bok.
I did not disagree that they are one of the best but I feel de Jongh is the x-factor we have been missing in SA mid-field in the last 1000000 years.... I simply said because a provincial side picks someone it does not make them a better player it might just be different tactics and / or game plans.

Agree. We need wins even if we don't play flash rugby. I want to add that the northern hemisphere are more tuned to the international playing style than our guys and I hope we adjust quickly.

Out of all the teams posted so far this is one I like the most. I'd make 2 changes though:

11. [-]Basson[/-] Lwazi Mvovo (Two weeks ago JPP showed that Basson is not good on defence.)
14. [-]Mvovo[/-] JP Pieterson

Mvovs is more suited to left wing. And Pieterson performing the way he has been will get the 14 jersey.
Altough I do not like Pieterson he was my second choice. Imo he is just a tad lazy and does not "look for work" as much as someone like basson / Habana.
My pick also goes for Basson because by far he is the best in the air out of all our wings. But I would not be sad to see Pieterson there.

you have too many inexperieced players in your team. will nevr work against the all blacks and wallabies.
Yes I saw how much good that did the bulls in the start of the S15... lots of experience.... they performed WELL under par.

the front pick themselves (sharks front row and they play together every week.
I dont know. The sharks have been bullied once or twice by the cheetahs and even once by the bulls...but opinions are allowed to differ :)

you tell me Andries Bekker do not deserve to start. he is our best and inform lock atm.
I did forget about him :eek:
I would actually pair him with Matfield but instruct him to play a tighter game....

habana will always be picked above any other wing because of his experience. get that in your head.
Seriously did you read the thread title?

Peter Grant has been our most consistent flyhalve this year. i find it shocking that he is not even in the bok squad.
He is the on form flyhalf this year in SA but he isn't a young protege (lambie) nor a seasoned veteran (James).

Stevie G

Banned
I did not disagree that they are one of the best but I feel de Jongh is the x-factor we have been missing in SA mid-field in the last 1000000 years.... I simply said because a provincial side picks someone it does not make them a better player it might just be different tactics and / or game plans.

Altough I do not like Pieterson he was my second choice. Imo he is just a tad lazy and does not "look for work" as much as someone like basson / Habana.
My pick also goes for Basson because by far he is the best in the air out of all our wings. But I would not be sad to see Pieterson there.
Basson is miles ahead of Pieterson. JP is too slow and lazy. my 2 wings would be habana and the other between basson/mvovo

Yes I saw how much good that did the bulls in the start of the S15... lots of experience.... they performed WELL under par.
You cannot compare S15 rugby to Test rugby. when you play big teams all the experience helps, but i also see the need for inform and youth to balance the team

I dont know. The sharks have been bullied once or twice by the cheetahs and even once by the bulls...but opinions are allowed to differ :)
Correct, but they have been the most consistent. you rotate them by replacing them with impact players.

I did forget about him :eek:
I would actually pair him with Matfield but instruct him to play a tighter game....
Agreed

Seriously did you read the thread title?

He is the on form flyhalf this year in SA but he isn't a young protege (lambie) nor a seasoned veteran (James).
Lambie's inexperienced showed in the game against the Crusaders, bad tactics and kicking game. his allround game was just poor on the day.
Butch is a dangerous player in the sense of high tackles and being prone to inconsistency. i would rather have Morne and Grant to dictate the game for us

Devill

Damned
Lambie's inexperienced showed in the game against the Crusaders, bad tactics and kicking game. his allround game was just poor on the day.
Butch is a dangerous player in the sense of high tackles and being prone to inconsistency. i would rather have Morne and Grant to dictate the game for us
I would also have taken Grant, I simply stated the reason why I think he was excluded... he is not young nor experienced enough. It sucks but I really think that is what the Boks selectors think.

Stevie G

Banned
Morne steyn is not young either, but experienced and one dimensional. 2nd choice when it comes to experience and consistency i would choose Grant over Lambie, Butch and Steyn. I hear that Sarel Pretorius has left our shores because of our stupid and arrogance selection policies. I think he should have been in the squad along with Duvenage. The way things are going i can only see the All Blacks winning the WC this year i'm afraid.