You better pay your traffic fines in Cape Town

Gnome

Executive Member
I wonder if this is the same system that sent me a fine with a picture of a white Opel Corsa UTE on it while I drive a grey Hyundai i20.

genetic

Honorary Master
I wonder if this is the same system that sent me a fine with a picture of a white Opel Corsa UTE on it while I drive a grey Hyundai i20.
No. ANR cameras are not for speed traps. They are mounted to cop cars that notify officers of offenders, by automatically reading the number plates of vehicles.

supersunbird

Honorary Master
So did the incorrect vehicle have your number plate or at least a similar one?

Gnome

Executive Member
So did the incorrect vehicle have your number plate or at least a similar one?
Not even close. Cars don't look the same, number plate isn't the same (one is CA other is CY, different numbers. It is like someone was on crack typing up that doc)
They still wanted me to send through a fax with my "complaint" and they "would look into it"

So basically at that point I decided that if I ever get arrested for that, it'll be that opportunity I was looking for to sue for wrongful arrest and hopefully win a jackpot.
Time will tell.

OCP

Expert Member
Not even close. Cars don't look the same, number plate isn't the same.
They still wanted me to send through a fax with my "complaint" and they "would look into it"

So basically at that point I decided that if I ever get arrested for that, it'll be that opportunity I was looking for to sue for wrongful arrest and hopefully win a jackpot.
Time will tell.
I got a fine for a parking violation.
Was for a white Mazda with same number plate as one of my none-white not-Mazda cars.
1 email which included a scan of the vehicle registration explaining the error and 2 days wait to resolve with the violation cancelled.

As much as i loathe the traffic services they are affecient :)

chrisc

Executive Member
There is a white taxi driving around Mitchell's Plain with the same CA number as my blue Honda Jazz. The metro police have been here 4 times already over the past 2 years, all aggressive and threatening. I know it is for a traffic violation and now keep certified copies of the Jazz's registration document as this is the only thing that makes them go away. One cop even told me he would "get" me one day. When I asked him what for, he tapped his revolver holster. Absolutely no brains. They bang on the gate as if they are looking for a fugitive and will not let me speak or answer their tirade

Tinuva

The Magician
There is a white taxi driving around Mitchell's Plain with the same CA number as my blue Honda Jazz. The metro police have been here 4 times already over the past 2 years, all aggressive and threatening. I know it is for a traffic violation and now keep certified copies of the Jazz's registration document as this is the only thing that makes them go away. One cop even told me he would "get" me one day. When I asked him what for, he tapped his revolver holster. Absolutely no brains. They bang on the gate as if they are looking for a fugitive and will not let me speak or answer their tirade
I would seriously consider getting a different number plate just to get rid of that annoyance. Heck that would be enough reason for me to get a custom plate.

chrisc

Executive Member
I had already thought of that, but the licensing office in Plumstead said the old number would still be assigned to my name for some time as they don't recycle numbers that often. I don't know how true that is, since I saw CA numbers with 950XXX a few years back. They separated Kraaifontein from Cape Town 4 years back and this freed thousands of CA numbers for re-use

chrisc

Executive Member
I only pay on summons. Never seem to get them though.
Got a summons here for the taxi which drove through a red light in Spine Road/AZ Berman Drive in January 2015. I think I will go to court on this one and have a good moan at the magistrate. Court case is this Thursday

f2wohf

Honorary Master
If they send all the fines like the three I've received so far, I doubt of the success.

Since six months, I receive SMS for summons for a guy with his ID number (I don't have an ID not being SA citizen), for a Polo driven in Cape Town (never driven a Polo).

Gnome

Executive Member
LOL. Dude you maybe me spill my hot chocolate.
I mean it is horrific that a cop threatened you but damn, you can't make this stuff up.
They really are just that stupid.

supersunbird

Honorary Master
If they send all the fines like the three I've received so far, I doubt of the success.

Since six months, I receive SMS for summons for a guy with his ID number (I don't have an ID not being SA citizen), for a Polo driven in Cape Town (never driven a Polo).
And you've had the phone number how long? Any dumbass can also write down any number on the forms that they give in...

ambroseg1

Executive Member
I would seriously consider getting a different number plate just to get rid of that annoyance. Heck that would be enough reason for me to get a custom plate.
So he has to inconvenience himself and pay an exorbitant amount for a custom plate because of a imbecile pig? Are you a troll?

airborne

Executive Member
You better pay your traffic fines in Cape Town

Cape Town’s automatic number plate recognition technology helped it serve over 67,000 warrants, totaling more than R75 million, in nine months.
This article doesn't make it clear what this is all about, am I surprised? KEVIN? No.

They are serving warrants on fools that had summons served or fines handed to them by a traffic officer and did not pay the fine or appear in court and hence the court issued a warrant.

This new system isn't going to mean you will be pulled over and a summons served if your fine is still at the summons stage, if your fine is at that stage you can carry on as usual, ie if you so choose you can ignore the fine letters until they serve the summons.