You can buy our new smartphones, we've got you covered – Huawei South Africa

Hanno Labuschagne

Staff member

Huawei is bringing its upcoming P40 flagship smartphones to South Africa, which will run Android with Huawei Mobile Services (HMS) core.

This means that underlying Google services present on previous-generation devices will not be available on these smartphones, and will instead be replaced by Huawei’s own solutions.

Speaking in an interview with MyBroadband, Huawei South Africa CBG vice president Likun Zhao and Huawei South Africa CTO Akhram Mohamed allayed customer concerns about the availability of apps on these new devices.

Apogee

Why would you take the risk of being caught in the crossfire between the governments involved, which could still further escalate at some point?

Learned the hard way in earlier years that half-baked software (Bada OS) can entirely ruin the experience of a phone with decent hardware specs.

RuhanSA079

You might as well have a LineageOS ROM with no GApps, and sideload WhatsApp via Aptoide, and use alternative maps.

markings

Expert Member
I liked Huawei phones but now my non-negotiables are dual-SIM plus SD card slot. 64Mb ROM, 4+GB RAM and of course access to the play store. Anything less than that becomes limiting very soon.
Huawei unfortunately doesn't cover half of it.

Nemoneiros

Expert Member

Huawei is bringing its upcoming P40 flagship smartphones to South Africa, which will run Android with Huawei Mobile Services (HMS) core.

This means that underlying Google services present on previous-generation devices will not be available on these smartphones, and will instead be replaced by Huawei’s own solutions.

Speaking in an interview with MyBroadband, Huawei South Africa CBG vice president Likun Zhao and Huawei South Africa CTO Akhram Mohamed allayed customer concerns about the availability of apps on these new devices.
nee dankie.

CataclysmZA

Expert Member
Learned the hard way in earlier years that half-baked software (Bada OS) can entirely ruin the experience of a phone with decent hardware specs.
Bada was different though. Samsung had every intention of supporting it properly as a bet against Google, but they then rolled the Bada team into Tizen, dropping Bada development because it wasn't going to be easy to scale. They also had insane plans for Bada which could have ended with it being used in industrial machinery, IOT, cars, and laptops, but it did not have accessible APIs to internal or external hardware. It had wonky aspirations just like later versions of Symbian.

If Google ends up stepping on the toes of Samsung, they likewise have an alternative now.

Doom5003

So not Google Certified anymore?
So no native Netflix etc support....

_TrXtR_

I like them. The only reason I dont buy their phones is because of the lack of play store

Thor

Honorary Master
I have used an HMS device for a week or so now, and it's not that bad. You barely even realize it tbh.
Yea no. I am used to better so would be a major compromise for my uncompromising lifestyle.

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master
Yeah sorry but no..

Until HMS is a properly stable and feature complete setup in comparison to GMS and the Play Store I will stay away.

rubber_otter

Expert Member
I liked Huawei phones but now my non-negotiables are dual-SIM plus SD card slot. 64Mb ROM, 4+GB RAM and of course access to the play store. Anything less than that becomes limiting very soon.
Huawei unfortunately doesn't cover half of it.
Do I have news for you...

CataclysmZA

Expert Member
So no native Netflix etc support....
Netflix relies on the DRM components in the kernel being supported in hardware, and some devices require Widevine support to be able to support 4K playback using H.265/AV1.

There's no need to be Google Certified to have Netflix run on a phone. If this wasn't the case, then a bunch of devices like the Roku and Fire family, in addition to a whole bunch of set-top players that aren't even running the Android Runtime wouldn't be able to have support for Netflix.

Reactions: Yuu