You can buy our new smartphones, we've got you covered – Huawei South Africa

Spliffcat

Executive Member
Why not just side load goofu apps?
Still won't buy one until the clowns release the bootloader codes.

zulucat

Why would you take the risk of being caught in the crossfire between the governments involved, which could still further escalate at some point?

Learned the hard way in earlier years that half-baked software (Bada OS) can entirely ruin the experience of a phone with decent hardware specs.
Because we are not pvssies! And we will not let a bully win.

Dave

Honorary Master
some devices require Widevine support to be able to support 4K playback using H.265/AV1.
which devices don't require L1 Widevine to support HD playback (not 4K) on DRM protected services?

Grubscrew

Expert Member
For the amount of I willing want to pay I want GMS. If it is not possible I will something that can.

The consumer is not obliged to adapt due to the deficiencies of a company. The free market is funny like that.

AirWolf

Honorary Master
For the amount of I willing want to pay I want GMS. If it is not possible I will something that can.

The consumer is not obliged to adapt due to the deficiencies of a company. The free market is funny like that.
Lol, it is not by choice - if the market was truly free, then they would still have GMS.

Spizz

Goat Botherer
Bada was different though. Samsung had every intention of supporting it properly as a bet against Google, but they then rolled the Bada team into Tizen, dropping Bada development because it wasn't going to be easy to scale. They also had insane plans for Bada which could have ended with it being used in industrial machinery, IOT, cars, and laptops, but it did not have accessible APIs to internal or external hardware. It had wonky aspirations just like later versions of Symbian.

If Google ends up stepping on the toes of Samsung, they likewise have an alternative now.
It doesn't matter what they tried to do or wanted to do, he ended up with a useless phone. I don't understand why people would take the risk, it's a big old market out there and missing one or two iterations of a certain brand of phone is no big deal.

Geoff.D

Honorary Master
So not Google Certified anymore?
So no native Netflix etc support....
What does Google certified mean?
Verified to allow google to intercept, compromise, and steal whatever they like under the guise of "protecting" the consumer?

Doom5003

What does Google certified mean?
Verified to allow google to intercept, compromise, and steal whatever they like under the guise of "protecting" the consumer?
To me, doesnt matter. As long as Netflix, Showmax etc works for those long business trips they can "intercept" all the spam SMS and emails they want. No real personal info lost on my side.

Sarg3_ZN

So, DSTV Now supported? I take that as a no.
They have support for DStv Now and Showmax.

Just missing the Netflix and YouTube apps, but you can work around that open it in your browser and create a shortcut to the site on your homescreen.

Cius

Executive Member
I have been a firm Hauwei phone fan for a few years now. For the same money you just get so much more hardware as compared to Samsung and the rest. This whole Google situation may end it for me though as I do use google apps like maps a lot. My next upgrade is in August. I may go to the P30 pro then as it would still have full android but the upgrade after that unless I can find that all the apps I use are ported I may have to switch away.

terencej

Expert Member
We use Google Suite for work purposes on our phones so this would be a NO from me. If I did not use my phone for work then I would actually buy it permitted the phone gets released at a no brainer price since they are now excluding functionality that I would have expected.

ReeceDBN031

Expert Member
I enjoy my Huawei, honestly no clue how life would be without google but i would give it a shot because why not.

Great tech and great hardware! im also leaning towards the P30 pro though so wouldnt affect me until 2-3 years time and by then should be tried and tested nicely.