You can now buy cigarettes – but only with essential goods in the Western Cape

Newsfeed

MyBroadband Newsfeed
Staff member

Gordon_R

Honorary Master
When provincial guidelines clash with national regulations, who wins? Hopefully the SAPS will be onside? It will be interesting to see which (if any) shops and chains take up this option...

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
Yes, I don't understand how the Western Cape Government is making directives. Under the Disaster Management Act, there are the regulations and the directions made by the ministries which combined are the laws under the enactment.

To quote,

Further clarity on essential services selling essential goods

We realise also that there has been some confusion about what stores are able to remain open to provide essential goods. We can confirm the following (in alignment with SAPS Western Cape):

• Grocery stores include large retail chains as well as smaller corner grocery stores, fruit and veg shops, butchers and convenience stores at filling stations.
  • Pet and veterinary stores are permitted to be open. They may ONLY sell animal food and animal medicines.
  • Health food shops that sell food, hygiene products and / or cleaning products are permitted to be open. If open, these stores may ONLY sell essential goods.
  • Cellphone shops are not allowed to be open. They would only be allowed to sell airtime, and this can be bought at any grocery store, spaza shop or online.
  • Money lending businesses are not permitted to be open.
  • Cigarettes may be sold during the lockdown, but only together with essential goods.
  • Businesses can deliver essential goods to people’s homes, but they can't deliver hot meals or any non-essential goods to people's homes.
and here I thought the Dti is the authority on this...

3WA

Executive Member
How can the WC government overrule national regulations?

Let's hope they don't adopt any of the crazy policies promoted by nutter JP Smith!
Maybe national regulations probably don’t specify cigarettes? The text was written in haste and is vague.

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
Maybe national regulations probably don’t specify cigarettes? The text was written in haste and is vague.
I read several articles on this now and I don't have the time to dig through the directions, but it seems that the ban on alcohol and cigarettes is a ban imposed by the SAPS. I didn't know the SAPS is lawmakers...

3WA

Executive Member
I read several articles on this now and I don't have the time to dig through the directions, but it seems that the ban on alcohol and cigarettes is a ban imposed by the SAPS. I didn't know the SAPS is lawmakers...
I read the same things and am lazy to look for links.

yebocan

Honorary Master
during a crises, there should just be only one voice of authority...national government...not political parties, provincial or local governments. National Gov makes the pronouncements, other spheres of government fills in the bureaucratic gaps.

Sl8er

Executive Member
I bet most of the people complaining are smokers who don't live in the WC :laugh:

So...I don't smoke anymore...but I bought a pack of smokes with my 1L milk :D

...just kidding.

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
I read the same things and am lazy to look for links.
Hmmmm,

Trade and Industry Minister Ebrahim Patel made a statement on Wednesday that cigarette sales were not considered a basic good – with the clarification being that it would not be allowed for anyone to go to a shop simply for the purpose of buying cigarettes. However, if you happen to be at the shop to buy a basic good like bread or milk, then presumably you will also be able to buy cigarettes, assuming they are on the shelf.

Note: An earlier version of this article said it seemed that the sale of cigarettes would stop, which may now not be the case. Hey, these are confusing times – Ed.

I guess this is all due to miscommunication by the media.

Temujin

Executive Member
Hell, if only I lived in WC I could make a mint couriering 'essentials' to people around the country

Jings

Treasure Maker
during a crises, there should just be only one voice of authority...national government...not political parties, provincial or local governments. National Gov makes the pronouncements, other spheres of government fills in the bureaucratic gaps.
Even national government is divided. Go figure.

Flanders

Honorary Master
Trade and Industry Minister Ebrahim Patel made a statement on Wednesday that cigarette sales were not considered a basic good – with the clarification being that it would not be allowed for anyone to go to a shop simply for the purpose of buying cigarettes. However, if you happen to be at the shop to buy a basic good like bread or milk, then presumably you will also be able to buy cigarettes, assuming they are on the shelf.
Precisely what I thought made perfect sense from the start.

waterprism

Expert Member
Well, that tears it then. I'm moving to the WC. Since this lockdown I've been on maak n plan missions for the first time since my teens, but for cigarettes now. And you know how those missions go... "Wait here with this oke, boet, I'll fetch my oke who knows an oke and then you'll go with that oke to an oke who knows an oke who's got some boxes of kak Seville's from some other oke" when I could have just been in and out of a Spar in 5 minutes without speaking to a soul (except the mask-wearing cashier). Fck u Cele.

IndigoIdentity

Ultimately, given how unclear the regulations are I am not sure the big supermarket chains are going to put themselves at risk by allowing this.