You can now check if your phone number was exposed in Facebook data leak

Hanno Labuschagne

MyBroadband
Staff member
Super Moderator
You can now check if your phone number was exposed in Facebook data leak

Online security platform Have I Been Pwned has added the ability for users to check if their mobile number has been compromised in the recent Facebook data leak.

The personal data of 533 million Facebook users who formed part of the leak included full names, phone numbers, birthdates, location data, and email addresses.

It also included users’ Facebook IDs, account creation dates, relationship status, and biographical information.

Johand

Expert Member
My phone number was in that breach :-( But funny enough my e-mail was not in that breach.

haveibeenpwned.com is a brilliant service (although I must say its name is a problem for adoption), and I have alerts with them for a long time now.

So list of places my data was leaked so far:
  • Facebook
  • Houzz
  • LinkedIn
  • Ster Kinekor
  • Apollo (Sales engagement platform, they must have gotten my details from somebody else)

So sadly there is a lot of my info out there :crying:

koeks525

Expert Member
Also been pwned... explains the recent spam SMS's coming through... Apparently there is estate inheritance I need to collect.

I have submitted request to delete my facebook and instagram accounts, I guess now is the time.

ToxicBunny

Oi! Leave me out of this...
Also been pwned... explains the recent spam SMS's coming through... Apparently there is estate inheritance I need to collect.

I have submitted request to delete my facebook and instagram accounts, I guess now is the time.

Too late though, the data is out in the wild.

koeks525

Expert Member
Too late though, the data is out in the wild.

I know :( .The damage has already been done. Been procrastinating the 30-day rehabilitation period that follows, after submitting the account deletion request.

Shi

Expert Member
Only 1 - Wattpad. Forgot about this site.

JohnStarr

Expert Member
Fark...my wife and myself. I have removed my cell # from Facebook, and it looks like I am going to be doing a lot more of that.

gregmcc

Honorary Master
Yip. Cell number safe, but email address pwned. Haven't used FB in a while so maybe now is the time to delete it.

Last edited:

MidnightZA

Expert Member
Fark...my wife and myself. I have removed my cell # from Facebook, and it looks like I am going to be doing a lot more of that.

I removed my cell from FB months ago, but I had 2FA active long before I got Google Auth and I used SMS 2FA back then.
Thats the only place my cell no was on FB recently

Dups!

It is easy enough to find out where your email address was leaked (if you subscribe, of course), but how does one find out about the cellphone number?