You can now tip car guards without cash

Zophos

Expert Member
Imagine tipping a car guard, or anyone who is asking to receive a tip, who uses that tip to directly supplement an addiction or any other non-acceptable societal activity. Suddenly social responsibility is a crux.

Well, I was going to use the money for booze and cigarettes, so why should I judge the guard for doing the same? :unsure:

I am just pushing your buttons, but I get your point.

In sales we talk about value. The social responsibilities add value, and thus I see no issue with it if managed properly.

But you also have to be aware that charities also have salaries to pay, and thus not all donations can reach the end goal of uplifting someone/something.

The issue goes deeper than tipping a car guard, and you have to ask why they even exist in our society to get to the root cause...

Desig

Was so drunk that cars were hooting at him to move. Insisted on smoking at my car so I had to drive off IMG_20210321_150139.jpg

Corelli

Expert Member
Everyone now buys a bib and then believe they are a car guard. Even in my road they now have a beggar dressing up as a car guard demanding money for looking after everyone's cars. But there is always break ins.

I have noticed lately that my car has been getting dings at malls from people opening doors into it. But when you ask the car guard who did it, they have no clue. But where is my money.

I am thankful that electric cars are coming. Frankly we can do with some less petrol attendants. Can you put air in my tyres, sorry sir you must do it yourself. the same with oil. So basically I am just paying you extra for putting fuel in the car? yip thats correct.

Worse was when I went into a take away. Everyone had a container for tips. The cashier for the cashier's tips (in matter of fact I had R5 change and she chucked it into her tip containers and just went, oh sorry. Then the person making the milkshakes and coffee had a tip container, the person making the sandwiches had a tip container, the pizza maker had a tip container, let alone the waiters. It was a real joke. I never ate there again.

CB40

Expert Member
How do you know what John gets up to when he's not a car guard? It's called the halo effect. Just because you're familiar with him and he acts in a friendly manner does not mean you are seeing the real person.
I'll guarantee I'm seeing the real person...if I remember I'll even take a video of him singing.
He's in a church choir and has been unable to attend due to covid.
He's been working for PnP for six years since we've know him.Don't know how long he's been there.

Johnatan56

Honorary Master
Can you put air in my tyres, sorry sir you must do it yourself. the same with oil.
I wish I could do it myself, damn annoying having to wait for a petrol attendant, usually I start doing so if by the time I get out no attendant is there, but some petrol stations started requiring the petrol attentand tag and then you set the air pressure on the machine, so forced to wait or skip those stations.

Guess they made one have to set it as must have been attendants messing it up.

Actually happy that there are no attendants here, I can now immediately tank my car when I arrive at the station instead of having to wait (well in a year when I get a car again, no point right now with great public transit and covid closing all restaurants/attractions). E.g. Johannesburg airport petrol station was horrendous, only two attendants for a good 10 or more stations at a place where people are in a hurry.

Rocket-Boy

Executive Member
As much as I hate the idea of the app I still think it has a place.
My wife has known the car guards outside her shop for at least 16 years now, they are good guys who have little chance of bettering themselves.

Another fun little bit of info that the local police forum explained, is that there are organized crime syndicates that have a guy in most areas with lots of car guards. They get to pay over a good chunk of their money to that person each day which goes to the syndicate. If they refused then a few people show up and they find themselves getting really badly beaten.

So from that perspective alone an app like this could be helpful to the car guards.
The other perspective is that none of them want bank accounts because anything that goes in there normally gets taken right back out with garnishee orders.

lexis

I can't (pay R5 tax) tip every time that I go to town to buy a bread. Thus I avoid the smaller centers surrounded by beggars as far as possible. Now the Mall. There you will find two guys.

The trolley guy that will often follow you like a shadow when you struggle out of the center with a full trolley. You can feel him behind you, sometimes just lurking in the corner of your eye. Then just as you unloaded everything into your car with one foot on the trolley so that it doesn't run away, he magically appears with the generous offer to remove the empty trolley.
Start your car and now the guard appears right behind your vehicle in full view of the reverse camera. The next challenge is trying to avoid running him over while he does his best to distract your attention from the rest of the traffic in the parking area. Need I say more?

neoprema

Executive Member
i've been waiting for this FOREVER.

I always feel so bad cause i don't have cash on me and i can never tip them and i just have to give some lame excuse. Or I only have R100 or something, which I'll hold onto for as long a i can and then finally just give it as a tip. Normally to a place i frequent often so it covers me for the next 10 trips lol

Excalibur

Executive Member
It's good this is being institutionalized and we avoid the risk of Covid-19 that cash brings.

Last edited:

dualmeister

Honorary Master
Here let me point out an empty parking bay because you are blind and cannot find one on your own.

OK let me show you how to reverse because your rear parking sensor is out of action and you cannot function without it.

I'm your best friend. Greet me.

Piss off.

Cosmik Debris

Executive Member
But you also have to be aware that charities also have salaries to pay, and thus not all donations can reach the end goal of uplifting someone/something.

The issue goes deeper than tipping a car guard, and you have to ask why they even exist in our society to get to the root cause...

Thank you for that statement.

Am I correct when I say on average 70% of all money collected by charities goes to salaries and admin costs?

Cosmik Debris

Executive Member
I'll guarantee I'm seeing the real person...if I remember I'll even take a video of him singing.
He's in a church choir and has been unable to attend due to covid.
He's been working for PnP for six years since we've know him.Don't know how long he's been there.

Yes, I've seen pillars of the community in police stations. All good men who attended church on Sundays. One I was called to the station for was at church that Sunday in a suit with shiny Mercedes accompanied by wife in her pretty dress and well dressed smiling kids. After church he klapped the Brandy 'n Coke. Klapped the wife and kids around too that evening. Was at his work the next day with colleagues none the wiser smiling and joking with him in their business. You see John occasionally. You have no idea who he may actually be. The halo effect.

Cosmik Debris

Executive Member
Everyone now buys a bib and then believe they are a car guard. Even in my road they now have a beggar dressing up as a car guard demanding money for looking after everyone's cars. But there is always break ins.

I have noticed lately that my car has been getting dings at malls from people opening doors into it. But when you ask the car guard who did it, they have no clue. But where is my money.

I am thankful that electric cars are coming. Frankly we can do with some less petrol attendants. Can you put air in my tyres, sorry sir you must do it yourself. the same with oil. So basically I am just paying you extra for putting fuel in the car? yip thats correct.

Worse was when I went into a take away. Everyone had a container for tips. The cashier for the cashier's tips (in matter of fact I had R5 change and she chucked it into her tip containers and just went, oh sorry. Then the person making the milkshakes and coffee had a tip container, the person making the sandwiches had a tip container, the pizza maker had a tip container, let alone the waiters. It was a real joke. I never ate there again.

South Africa still has petrol attendants but Cyril says it will be joining the 4IR.....

Cosmik Debris

Executive Member
As much as I hate the idea of the app I still think it has a place.
My wife has known the car guards outside her shop for at least 16 years now, they are good guys who have little chance of bettering themselves.

Another fun little bit of info that the local police forum explained, is that there are organized crime syndicates that have a guy in most areas with lots of car guards. They get to pay over a good chunk of their money to that person each day which goes to the syndicate. If they refused then a few people show up and they find themselves getting really badly beaten.

So from that perspective alone an app like this could be helpful to the car guards.
The other perspective is that none of them want bank accounts because anything that goes in there normally gets taken right back out with garnishee orders.

Exactly. These guys also give the syndicates information. If the syndicate is out "shopping" for a particular make and colour of car and it's seen in the car park, the syndicate will be informed. The owner will even tip the car guard that has shopped him to the syndicate which will hijack him later.

Foxhound5366

Executive Member
And how would they pay for taxi, rent etc
From the smart shopper card?
Well there are other alternatives I guess. Maybe Pick n Pay could allow them to cash out 50% or whatever ... they have the whole ecosystem.

At the time I thought about this, a Smart Shopper card for was easier to get for a car guard than a bank account.

Last edited:

Zophos

Expert Member
Thank you for that statement.

Am I correct when I say on average 70% of all money collected by charities goes to salaries and admin costs?
I really do not know the exact figures, but I think that you are close with 70%.

Bottom line is that we need change (mindset, legislation, organizational) to even begin to fix this.