You can still upgrade to Windows 10 at no cost

Bradley Prior

MyBroadband Journalist
Staff member
Super Moderator

Users can still upgrade from Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 to Windows 10 for free – despite the official free upgrade period ending in July 2016.

An exploit exists which allows users to upgrade to Windows 10 by manipulating their device’s system clock, and there is reportedly a reason that workarounds like this are still possible.

GerardC

Not true it seems - neither microsoft.com or google allow you to connect with a 2016 date set due to certificates. Anyone have a solution for this?

Hellhound105

Expert Member
Just did an upgrade this weekend. Did not need to change clock.

Booted into Windows. Did no updates. Plugged in my USB and ran setup.

Totempole

Expert Member
Just did an upgrade this weekend. Did not need to change clock.

Booted into Windows. Did no updates. Plugged in my USB and ran setup.
I've been doing this for ages. Never been an issue post deadline. All you have to do is make sure you have an internet connection at the beginning and the end of the installation and it'll activate.

These digital entitlement licenses are linked to the motherboard, but also to your microsoft account should you link one.

Hellhound105

Expert Member
I've been doing this for ages. Never been an issue post deadline. All you have to do is make sure you have an internet connection at the beginning and the end of the installation and it'll activate.
We should write an article with confirmed sources :)

rodmur

Absolute bull@@##$%$t
You hit a security certificate problem with the date change which stops you logging into Microsoft

rodmur

[
NO WAYQUOTE="Bradley Prior, post: 24532045, member: 550243"]

Users can still upgrade from Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 to Windows 10 for free – despite the official free upgrade period ending in July 2016.

An exploit exists which allows users to upgrade to Windows 10 by manipulating their device’s system clock, and there is reportedly a reason that workarounds like this are still possible.
[/QUOTE]

Nate3268

Also did an upgrade this weekend via the assistant tool, and Windows 10 was activated once connected to the internet.

rodmur

when I try I to down load I hit the "Security Certificate date is not valid ??

The_Librarian

Another MyBB
Super Moderator
clean win10 install on a lenovo laptop that had win8 on it - win10 activated itself without any schlepp. Had to, for a dev team lead member.

*shudder* I prefer win8.1 or win7 above 10...

rodmur

clean win10 install on a lenovo laptop that had win8 on it - win10 activated itself without any schlepp. Had to, for a dev team lead member.

Where can I download a free Win 8

FlashSA

Executive Member

Have read that in examples like this, the licence key is in the BIOS and Win10 auto reads

The_Librarian

Another MyBB
Super Moderator
Have read that in examples like this, the licence key is in the BIOS and Win10 auto reads
Correct.

We have one PC here that's supposed to have the licence key in the BIOS, but it's futted up, win10/8/8.1 all ask for a valid key... :cautious: