You can't have ADSL - Even though it's as fast as ever

Thor

Honorary Master
Won't happen any time soon.

ADSL is here to stay for the next decade to come.

FUD.

system32

Expert Member
I'm glad to have finally cancelled my dog slow, best-effort, up to 4Mbps, pay for 4Mbps sync at 2Mbps ADSL
FTFY.

ADSL can't get faster than the sync speed.
No amount of capacity on the back-haul is going to SNR due to attenuation resulting in low sync speeds.

No sure why customers pay for 4Mbps when they can only sync at 2Mbps.

Dylan_G

Expert Member
Won't happen any time soon.

ADSL is here to stay for the next decade to come.

FUD.
I also thought this but I was having a chat with two people at work who have had their ADSL cut... They now have to resort to Mobile Data.

It's real. It's happening.

RedViking

Nord of the South
Would like to see the article for the time when they phased out dial-up to implement ADSL.

MASSIVE DROP IN DIAL-UP USERS. DIAL-UP NOW FASTER THAN EVER.

Ipwn 4

Expert Member
If the copper don't get stolen
This, we have about 100 sites with dsl, if a line gets damaged or stolen in an outlying area Telkom refuses to fix. Massive pain in ass as those areas typically don't have fibre or LTE so replacement costs 5-10 times more than dsl

Hemps

Honorary Master
Tempted to switch to LTE, paying over R809pm for 20Mb vdsl 400gb Vox
But see LTE is 100-200m out of my reach according to the maps

furpile

Expert Member
My ADSL is unfortunately just getting worse. Since my new line was installed last year the quality has been worse (not surprising, since the new cable was just thrown on top of plants, not even buried), there are more outages and more times when speeds are slow. Just 2 days ago the network was done for almost a day, and since then I only get 1-2 Mbps on my 4 Mbps line. Luckily my fibre line will hopefully be installed this Saturday, then I can get rid of Telkom.

Ipwn 4

Expert Member
Tempted to switch to LTE, paying over R809pm for 20Mb vdsl 400gb Vox
But see LTE is 100-200m out of my reach according to the maps
I would say don't cancel your DSL until you've tried LTE for at least a month

Hemps

Honorary Master
I assume if there is no LTE it falls back to 3G?
Would be ideal for when we go to Wild coast for December Xmas holidays, kids can have Youtube to give parents a break.

Gtx Gaming

Gtx Gaming
I assume if there is no LTE it falls back to 3G?
Would be ideal for when we go to Wild coast for December Xmas holidays, kids can have Youtube to give parents a break.
Some telkom lte deals only work on LTE, the data can't be used on 3g.

Deandbn

You can't have ADSL - Even though it's as fast as ever

Telkom recently announced that it is actively migrating customers from legacy copper technology to fibre and LTE-based solutions.

The company is moving customers to newer technologies in an effort to save maintenance costs on its ADSL network and offer customers a better service.
I don't understand why you would say that telkom is moving it's customers off ADSL. I think you mean to say that they are moving their customers off the copper carrier and onto fibre as a carrier. ADSL stands for asynchronous digital subscriber line and that is exactly what is used whether it be on copper or fibre. The asynchronous parts merely means that the download speed is greater than the upload speed. There is also DSL which is a digital subscriber line where the upload and download speed are the same. So whether the data is carried on copper all-fibre All Through the Air on radio it is still ADSL or DSL.

Swa

Honorary Master
G.fast can do 1Gbps. There's definitely still a need a need for DSL. Unfortunately we never got LLU and Telkom didn't maintain the network.