You can't just throw away your old laptops and storage drives in South Africa

Hanno Labuschagne

MyBroadband
Staff member
Super Moderator

Getting rid of broken or obsolete computer components is not as simple as throwing them in the trash.

In South Africa, the disposal of old electronic equipment like hard drives and batteries is governed by various regulations.

The National Environmental Waste Act of 2008 requires the appropriate disposal of hazardous waste such as batteries that contain chemicals which pose a danger to the environment.

Rabobi

Honorary Master

Getting rid of broken or obsolete computer components is not as simple as throwing them in the trash.

In South Africa, the disposal of old electronic equipment like hard drives and batteries is governed by various regulations.

The National Environmental Waste Act of 2008 requires the appropriate disposal of hazardous waste such as batteries that contain chemicals which pose a danger to the environment.
I literally can, its called a dustbin

Milano

Honorary Master
So those guys digging in our bin bags are not really homeless but undercover SSA agents checking for those who have flagrantly disregarded the National Environmental Waste Act of 2008? Meanwhile people ignorantly call this place a shīthole FFS!!

Deandbn

Having first world laws in fifth world countries really don't work that well.
In my experience, placing unwanted computer equipment on the street works really well. Takes less than 5 minutes for equipment to disappear. It's quite fun too if you watch the activity on a security camera.

Deandbn

So those guys digging in our bin bags are not really homeless but undercover SSA agents checking for those who have flagrantly disregarded the National Environmental Waste Act of 2008? Meanwhile people ignorantly call this place a shīthole FFS!!
Actually, those guys digging in your bin bags are actually collecting information about you like ID numbers bank account numbers what medicine you take how much money you have in your bank what kind of food you buy what your name is all that sort of stuff. And what's more they get it for free too.

Milano

Honorary Master
Actually, those guys digging in your bin bags are actually collecting information about you like ID numbers bank account numbers what medicine you take how much money you have in your bank what kind of food you buy what your name is all that sort of stuff. And what's more they get it for free too.

Good luck to them it's cross shredded :ROFL:

Thor

Honorary Master
Cool story - like most laws in SA, they don't mean much if they are not enforced.

I regularly see PC parts and e-waste at our estate and business park.

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master

Not sure if sarcasm or needing tinfoil.

And emoji may have helped if the former.

Praemon

Expert Member
Here is the correct procedure for throwing out old hard drives:

Step 1: Check if there's any Bitcoin wallets on it
Step 2: Are you positive? Cause you did try "mining" that one time back in 2010
Step 3: Alright, throw it out
Step 4: Newspaper Headline: "Man loses R60 million after throwing out old hard drive". Damnit, I told you to double check!

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
I have a collector coming around about twice a month. I don't know what they do with the parts.

John_Phoenix

Expert Member
Just scrub it and donate it. Hell, that's worked very well for me in the past. Some kid could really benefit from a lappy, especially if you show them which sites they can go to learn useful skills, like brilliant.Org or Khan

Milano

Honorary Master
Just scrub it and donate it. Hell, that's worked very well for me in the past. Some kid could really benefit from a lappy, especially if you show them which sites they can go to learn useful skills, like brilliant.Org or Khan

Donating broken stuff to destitute kids is as bad as donating a dead bird to a blind child.

lotus123

Not sure if they still accept e-waste, but a while back I took a boot-load of old equipment (printers, cables, UPS, powerbricks, broken laptops) to Incredible Connection for disposal. Easy.

And if you put all that stuff in a box and put it down at one of the Pickitup garden waste depots (Bryanston in my case) it's gone in 20 seconds.

John_Phoenix

Expert Member
Donating broken stuff to destitute kids is as bad as donating a dead bird to a blind child.

Broken? Typical South African. It's gotta be trashed beyond use before you consider donating it? Why give money away eh.

Also if it's really fried (thanks eskom) then recycling should be the go to solution.

Milano

Honorary Master
Broken? Typical South African. It's gotta be trashed beyond use before you consider donating it? Why give money away eh.

Yeah more often than not stuff people place in the trash is broken. It's weird I know.

Deandbn

Not sure if sarcasm or needing tinfoil.

And emoji may have helped if the former.

No not sarcasm, I have watched them from my bedroom window on a Tuesday morning collecting data..
Some go for the metal some go for data so I also shred everything now.

Sollie

Honorary Master
Having first world laws in fifth world countries really don't work that well.
In my experience, placing unwanted computer equipment on the street works really well. Takes less than 5 minutes for equipment to disappear. It's quite fun too if you watch the activity on a security camera.
True story, done it a few times when I had small amounts. Put it on the pavement as if somebody will be come collecting it. Whoever that fictitious person is, he does not stand a chance. It's convenient understanding your fellow South Africans ;)

Also works for unwanted thick branches as the finer stuff gets stripped off and mulched. It goes AWOL.

Mind you, I caught a guy trying to do the same with some soil I ordered. He had the choice of paying me my price (100% markup) since he had already loaded it, or a case at the cop shop - but that's another story.

Understanding that is it's accessible and not welded/bolted down etc, it will disappear, is a handy bit of knowledge.