You could be paying more for your contract than you think

Bradley Prior

MyBroadband Journalist
Super Moderator
You could be paying more for your contract than you think

South Africans regularly sign up to contracts for cellular products, from the latest smartphones to fixed-LTE packages for a home Internet connection.

These contracts tend to span anywhere from 12-36 months, and users are charged a monthly fee which they can then budget into their monthly spending.

supersunbird

Honorary Master
If you are paying more than you think and you don't know it, then you are not on top of your finances.

Sl8er

Executive Member
Just don't "contract", period.
We all know -and have seen first hand- how the service providers chop and change contracts as they please...and there's nothing you can do about it because of the "we reserve the right to chop and change as we please" clause.

Swa

Honorary Master
So a contract is not a contract when signed with a mobile operator?

If I change the conditions of a contract I end up in jail for fraud.
Funny how the cartel always get away with these things.

marine1

Honorary Master
Magia that's what they are. God forbid we did that to any contract we would be kicked in the nuts. I cannot believe this is legal

diapason

Expert Member
Telkom are outright lying. Their FreeMe package prices increased just last year.
Mine didn't. Aside from the small VAT adjustment I'm still paying the same as I was 3 years ago. Initially had a 24 month contract which I renewed a year ago.

Swa

Honorary Master
Even if it's just a vat increase as consumers we pay incl vat prices and not excl vat prices. There shouldn't be any increase in contract prices for the remainder of the contract as it's against the spirit of the cpa. But the operators all have every imaginable clause to protect them but none to protect consumers. If their circumstances change they can change the price or stop providing service but if mine changes I can't just stop paying the contract. That's very onerous.