You don’t pay too much for electricity – Eskom's De Ruyter

Hanno Labuschagne

Journalist
Staff member
You don’t pay too much for electricity – Eskom's De Ruyter

Eskom CEO Andre de Ruyter has cleared up misconceptions around the price of electricity in South Africa.

Speaking during his keynote address at the Joburg Indaba, De Ruyter addressed a popular narrative regarding the electricity price in South Africa.

Many South Africans complain that they pay too much for electricity, but it is more likely that the opposite is true, according to a number of studies cited by the state power utility’s CEO.

Pixies

Honorary Master
Maybe if you are a direct Eskom customer you don't pay too much, but what is one is a municipal electricity customer Mr de Ruyter?
This
“The current average selling price is R1,02/kWh, and this is below the levels required to be cost-reflective.”
So in other words, my R2+ / kWh is subsidising the average South African.

Scooby_Doo

Executive Member
I would love this data to be normalised to account for the level of wealth, income, tax etc. A straight comparison is just too disconnected from reality to take outright.

B@rrels

Expert Member
I'm paying Eskom direct @ R1.45/kwh excl. to see what the municipalities add on.

Pineapple Smurf

Pineapple Beer Connoisseur
Don't go grid-tied, go hybrid, grid-tied still requires the grid
I don't mind grid tied for now as it is a cheap solution. With the ability to upgrade to batteries at a later stage to then be offgrid if i can.
Something like that, haven't got all the facts figured out yet.

But for now i cannot wait to be less on grid than what i am coz ****sakes my R650 a month is going no where for a bachelor, Im supporting lots of shack dwellers

Juice

Expert Member
He's absolutely right. We don't pay too much for electricty. We pay too much for corruption, mismanagement and government interference at the country's government-sanctioned, legislatively protected electricty monopoly.