You don’t pay too much for electricity – Eskom's De Ruyter

Zophos

Expert Member
I don't mind grid tied for now as it is a cheap solution. With the ability to upgrade to batteries at a later stage to then be offgrid if i can.
Something like that, haven't got all the facts figured out yet.

But for now i cannot wait to be less on grid than what i am coz ****sakes my R650 a month is going no where for a bachelor, Im supporting lots of shack dwellers

False. You are supporting the ANC elite's lifestyles.... :ROFL:

Magnum

Executive Member
He's absolutely right. We don't pay too much for electricty. We pay too much for corruption, mismanagement and government interference at the country's government-sanctioned, legislatively protected electricty monopoly.
BREATHE! BREATHE! fkit. bring more beer...

Pineapple Smurf

Pineapple Beer Connoisseur
False. You are supporting the ANC elite's lifestyles.... :ROFL:
i often buy electricity vouchers for some guys here at work via FNB online as it is easier for them that they don't have to go queue in a shop. Im amazed at how little they pay per unit, was something just over a Rand the other day in some areas. Maybe even less coz they also get a free token once a month as well.

No free tokens for the whiteys

Danie_V

Like Ethiopian Airlines seems to be running a more cost effective African airline than SAA (as is Comair even in SA), I'd be interested to know how that other 3rd of African countries is managing to sell electricity cheaper than Eskom? Surely we should look at that and aim for 1st place? Seems like we are justifying an inefficient operation?

Zophos

Expert Member
i often buy electricity vouchers for some guys here at work via FNB online as it is easier for them that they don't have to go queue in a shop. Im amazed at how little they pay per unit, was something just over a Rand the other day in some areas. Maybe even less coz they also get a free token once a month as well.

No free tokens for the whiteys

Well, I identify as a non-Neanderthal possibly ethnic non-monochrome couch potato, do I get free tokens?

isie

Honorary Master
Maybe if you are a direct Eskom customer you don't pay too much, but what is one is a municipal electricity customer Mr de Ruyter?
Came here to say this - People think i'm nuts when I say im glad im on Eskom Direct

wingnut771

Honorary Master
Sorry Andre, most of us live in municipalities and don't pay 133c/kWh, but rather 220c/kWh. How does double the cost rank on that global scale now?

Swa

Honorary Master
This isn't what the people going off grid say. Simple fact we don't know what electricity would cost without all the mismanagement and corruption. Without a free market we have no idea what electricity in this country should cost so everybody speaking like that should just shut their trap.

Lupus

Honorary Master
Again - from paying R2500+ pm to £55-75 pm ....... totes believe your point of corrupt view charna, totes
I remember when my brother was paying 75 pounds pm in London back in the early 2010s and I was like man that's expensive, he's still basically paying that now, while mine has gone up 300%.

B-1

Expert Member
i plan to go gridtied next year so yes i will hardly be using any ESKOM after that
Total offered will follow after i have saved up more cash

Just look into it before you start I bet your grid tie fees will be more than your current electricity usage. Totally off grid is easier in a flat.

Lupus

Honorary Master
Just look into it before you start I bet your grid tie fees will be more than your current electricity usage. Totally off grid is easier in a flat.
I was thinking if I still lived in a small 80sqm townhouse, I could've easily gone off the grid, for some reason a bigger house uses more electricity. Or gets you to use it.

TEXTILE GUY

Honorary Master
Eskom CEO Andre de Ruyter has cleared up misconceptions around the price of electricity in South Africa.

Arrogant pr!ck.

So, if EKSDOM was more efficient, which by his own admission, they are not - the price of electricity should come down?

Didnt think so.