You don’t pay too much for electricity – Eskom's De Ruyter

ToxicBunny

Oi! Leave me out of this...
I was thinking if I still lived in a small 80sqm townhouse, I could've easily gone off the grid, for some reason a bigger house uses more electricity. Or gets you to use it.

A bigger house just uses more electricity... its frustrating in its own way...

I am going to put a decent power monitor in at some point soon so I can actually find out what is using the most and try limit those items with things Sonoffs and such like things if possible.

Last edited:

Moto Guzzi

Expert Member
You don’t pay too much for electricity – Eskom's De Ruyter

Eskom CEO Andre de Ruyter has cleared up misconceptions around the price of electricity in South Africa.

Speaking during his keynote address at the Joburg Indaba, De Ruyter addressed a popular narrative regarding the electricity price in South Africa.

Many South Africans complain that they pay too much for electricity, but it is more likely that the opposite is true, according to a number of studies cited by the state power utility’s CEO.

Disagree, only a small increase in electricity, like water, digital and feul, coal as the very basic resources loadup monetary systems exponentially as time marches on, and comparisons to rest of world dont count, the whole world is corrupt by now to various degrees.
Jusr rid all the basic resources from corruption(channelling), forget about the escape goat called inflation, then all will fall into place. At moment salary increases is pointless it has a very short rack life as a result.
Get the monetary systems cleaned up properly from all easy money embeddedments, and everybody will have a better life in reality, not just promised by TALK.

Lupus

Honorary Master
A bigger house just uses more electricity... its frustrating in its own way...

I am going to put a decent power monitor in at some point soon so I can actually find out what is using the most and try limit those items with things low Sonoffs and such like things if possible.

I wouldn't say this, but it does seem to be true, cause when we lived in the townhouse it was half the current usage, not sure how we did it.
Granted I do have a pool now as well, but taking into account the pool pump the electrical usage has still doubled.

ToxicBunny

Oi! Leave me out of this...
As much as I despise Eskom, that strikes me as being the municipality's fault.

It very much is the municipalities fault, but its incorrect for Andre to claim we aren't paying too much for electricity if he is just blithely ignoring that the vast majority of residential (at least) consumer are paying significantly more than their claimed average.

Neuk_

Executive Member
When you take in to account the rate per kW, additional municipality fee's, taxes, bail outs, etc, etc. we are most definitely paying too much for electricity.

grok

Honorary Master
So we went up from the cheapest electricity to very expensive despite the abundance of cheap coal because of the natural order of things?

He probably meant we don't pay too much for Africa, 'cos if he compares us to the rest of the world I demand that he compares murder rate & standards of living to them too.

From a 2019 article:
While at these prices South Africans seems to have some of the cheapest electricity in the world, when compared to our peers in emerging markets, Absa found in 2018 that we have some of the most expensive.

Seems he doing some Zuma stats there, this fracker like the rest of Eskom is after your money.

Eskom was so successful that by the end of 1990 it was supplying more than half the electricity in Africa.

Eskom also became a highly efficient electricity producer and in its 1994 annual report, it promoted the fact that it was the world’s lowest-cost producers of electricity.

soz

Geez, I wonder what changed? :unsure:

Last edited:

HavocXphere

Honorary Master
I mean it is true in a way. European avg comes in at close to 4 zar per unit...

Different world but does put "too much" into perspective a bit

HostZA

At least when I buy KFC I am asked if I want to donate R2, they should do the same when I buy units.

Pineapple Smurf

Pineapple Beer Connoisseur
Just look into it before you start I bet your grid tie fees will be more than your current electricity usage. Totally off grid is easier in a flat.
I was thinking if I still lived in a small 80sqm townhouse, I could've easily gone off the grid, for some reason a bigger house uses more electricity. Or gets you to use it.

Im currently consuming around 270 units a month of which geyser is exactly 120 units, I plan to take the geyser off the grid first

TEXTILE GUY

Honorary Master
Like Ethiopian Airlines seems to be running a more cost effective African airline than SAA (as is Comair even in SA), I'd be interested to know how that other 3rd of African countries is managing to sell electricity cheaper than Eskom? Surely we should look at that and aim for 1st place? Seems like we are justifying an inefficient operation?
This is EXACTLY the point .....

What De Ruyter is actually saying is, you are paying the right amount for our inefficiencies.

Comparing the cost of electricity ONLY, without considering the balance of living expenses is just silly.

porchrat

Honorary Master
It very much is the municipalities fault, but its incorrect for Andre to claim we aren't paying too much for electricity if he is just blithely ignoring that the vast majority of residential (at least) consumer are paying significantly more than their claimed average.
I think his statement should be taken within the context of what he can control (i.e. the price at which Eskom is able to provide electricity). That price isn't all that unreasonable IMO.

It could be even lower without the gross incompetence, staffing issues and corruption, but it certainly could be much worse.

EDIT: The article also clearly states he's talking about the industrial and commercial rates: “In terms of electricity pricing, South Africa’s commercial and industrial electricity tariffs are competitive by international standards,”

I don't think he's wrong.

EDIT: OK read the last part of the article, he does mention average residential prices. It's still not his problem that municipal rates are on a 100% markup. Say what you want about Eskom but if we're honest, it does indeed provide electricity at an affordable rate.

Last edited:

TelkomUseless

Honorary Master
He's absolutely right. We don't pay too much for electricty. We pay too much for corruption, mismanagement and government interference at the country's government-sanctioned, legislatively protected electricty monopoly.

And having Eskom more workers than required. And then Eskom food bill is 2-3 Billion ZAR. Holy crap....