You no longer need to be in a political party to become president of South Africa

Hanno Labuschagne

Journalist
Staff member
You no longer need to be in a political party to become president of South Africa

South Africa’s President Cyril Ramaphosa signed into law a bill that will allow independent candidates to contest provincial and national elections.

The change comes after the Constitutional Court in 2020 ruled that it was unlawful for independent candidates to be barred from contesting elections without membership of a political party.

[Bloomberg]

So now the ballot paper will be about 12 feet long.
Indeed as if the 50 plus parties werent enough...

I feel like my vote for the soccer party was wasted :(

default.jpg

If I recall, independent candidates still have to get voter signatures (about 10, 000) and pay deposit.

@azbob - you started with mybb cabinet already. How do you feel about standing for President of SA ?

He was robbed of the 2016 US elections
Its time for him to take the 2024 ZA elections
ctm-0825-700-candidates-436910-640x360.jpg

I will do it and bite the bullet for us, but I will need a few henchmen. PMs are open

Reactions: OCP
A/S/L and CV ..... put it on the table
My ouma het altyd gese ek gaan eendag ons land se president wees, tel dit? :ROFL:

No, but seriously. The best leaders in the world are the ones who get forced to take up the mantle/never wanted to be one but circumstances shaped them. Hopefully, this new law allows for this to happen..

My ouma het altyd gese ek gaan eendag ons land se president wees, tel dit? :ROFL:

No, but seriously. The best leaders in the world are the ones who get forced to take up the mantle/never wanted to be one but circumstances shaped them. Hopefully, this new law allows for this to happen..
Wie is/was jou Ouma ? Is haar van Verwoerd ?

Most current leaders want to take up the role so that means no "best leaders" here. All wanting the power and cash seats.

Back