You should not pay for an opt-out SMS, but you are

ByronTudhope

I contacted hippo.co.za's legal team over this and they fought me on semantics. The problem is with the language in this sentence:
“a member may not charge a consumer a fee for processing an opt-out request or for registering a pre-emptive block”

They claim that they are not "charging" the user, the user's network is charging them. They say as long as they place no markup on the message (ie. the message is charged at standard network rates) then they are off the hook. I was told to take it up with Vodacom, which I didn't bother with because I know it is unreasonable to blame Vodacom for this.

TPM

FINE CSP's heavily for this...and do the same for companies sending this nonsense

_TrXtR_

Expert Member
I contacted hippo.co.za's legal team over this and they fought me on semantics. The problem is with the language in this sentence:

They claim that they are not "charging" the user, the user's network is charging them. They say as long as they place no markup on the message (ie. the message is charged at standard network rates) then they are off the hook. I was told to take it up with Vodacom, which I didn't bother with because I know it is unreasonable to blame Vodacom for this.

They kinda seem correct. And maybe the problem then does lie with Vodacom?
If the message is sent at standard network rates, those rates should be reversed onto hippo so they pay the cost. Or else Vodacom should foot the bill.

So WASPA is at fault. Because this is just a nightmare for the consumer to follow a while little trail of 'will not resolve' responses. Maybe better regulation/rules could do something.

LazyLion

King of de Jungle
If only we had a Telecomms regulator who actually had the people's interests at heart....

Dairyfarmer

Executive Member
Opt out and they know that someone is monitoring that number. The SMS's come via a SMS'ing company on behalf of the client. Therefore you are just flagging you number as active.

By far the biggest sms spammers are the networks. They don't have a cross platform or permanent option for PCM's. There is no way of opting out of their advertising.

Why can we have automatic opt out (you have to explicitly allow) and mandatory double opt in? Free sms to opt out on every marketing sms including PCM's blocking. PCM's should be on a per number opt in.

I had problems with Hollard a while back. The continuously sms's me with funeral cover offers. I had to resort to HelloPeter to get them to contact me. They were using 2 different sms's companies and couldn't tell me which one they had given my number to. me thinks they run sequential "cold call" sms'ing. Spray 'n pray tactics.