Young men are too busy playing video games to work long hours

czc

Honorary Master
But why would you want to work longer hours?

konfab

Honorary Master
Annual work time per year:
Young men: 1,626 -- young woman: 1,312 -- female time as percentage of male time 80.6%
Old men: 1,887-- old woman: 1,398 --female time as percentage of male time 74%
source

CNN says that the wage gap is 78c on the dollar.
CNN

If you average out those percentages, it ends up being 77%. So on average, women work 77% of the time of men. Isn't it curious that they get payed almost exactly the same percentage of men on average?

Really makes you think doesn't it.

klipdrifter

If I get paid to put in longer hours I will gladly do it, but if I won't get paid I will rather game.

SlinkyMike

Executive Member
More than one of my devs took leave to play Fallout 4 on release day.

I'm not judging on the gaming but holy crap your life is sad if that's a reason to take leave... another one took a loan against his salary for a graphics card. Again: holy crap. I'm trying not to judge but hells bells man.

Jack_Hammond

holy crap your life is sad if that's a reason to take leave... another one took a loan against his salary for a graphics card. Again: holy crap. I'm trying not to judge but hells bells man.
And yet when half the office is out of action during a five day cricket test match nobody bats an eye.

Mike Hoxbig

Honorary Master

I'm not judging on the gaming but holy crap your life is sad if that's a reason to take leave... another one took a loan against his salary for a graphics card. Again: holy crap. I'm trying not to judge but hells bells man.
The first one i can sort of understand. Don't think it's that sad, sometimes you just want some uninterrupted time without the SO around or you don't want to mess with your sleep patterns when you lose track of time. I've taken leave for more retarded reasons, the details of which I won't get into. The point is you should be able to take your annual leave for whatever reason you want to, and shouldn't be judged on it. It's yours.

The second one, taking a loan to buy a graphics card, that's probably the basement dweller at his mom's place. You must really have no financial commitments if a gfx card is on your priority list to get into debt for...

Ninja'd

A Djinn

I admit when I take leave I put aside a few days for non-stop gaming. Not so insane to take out a loan though.

TelkomUseless

Executive Member

I spend 3 days (weekend) playing Doom 2016 almost 12 hours per day. I would have taken leave too easily. It's awesome to game with no one complaining /moaning/interrupting. It's freaking heaven on earth!!! The ex wife moaned when I wanted to game.. f-that.

About the graphics card.. hmm. I put on a 6 month CC budget for a decent card. Paid it of quickly. But that is once 3-4 years. You get guys that buys cars for R10k pm just for fun. What's R6k -R10k once off in comparison...?

ShaunSA

Derailment Squad

No issue with either of the above tbh. I've seen/heard of people who have done way worse with their leave/loans.

rudyb

Breaking news: Research found that not being paid overtime is the primary cause for working fewer hours.

Cray

Honorary Master
Annual work time per year:
Young men: 1,626 -- young woman: 1,312 -- female time as percentage of male time 80.6%
Old men: 1,887-- old woman: 1,398 --female time as percentage of male time 74%
source

CNN says that the wage gap is 78c on the dollar.
CNN

If you average out those percentages, it ends up being 77%. So on average, women work 77% of the time of men. Isn't it curious that they get payed almost exactly the same percentage of men on average?

Really makes you think doesn't it.
Nice attempted derail...

rietrot

Honorary Master
I don't see a major difference in the times worked. I just think in the last 20 years entertainment is shifting from sports and tv to include more gaming.
If you go back more than 20 years then you get a shift were people didn't have tv. So they either worked more or made more babies.