Young men are too busy playing video games to work long hours

Kerrits

No issue with either of the above tbh. I've seen/heard of people who have done way worse with their leave/loans.
I can think of few better reasons. The only one that immediately springs to mind is traveling.

Kerrits

And yet when half the office is out of action during a five day cricket test match nobody bats an eye.
The same-ish 11 guys throwing a ball at the same other 11-ish guys for 5 days straight. And they probably threw the ball at each other in a different town a earlier that same year... and the year before that...
And people get excited about it as if it's the most amazing thing to happen in their lives.

Randhir

Honorary Master
Breaking news: Research found that not being paid overtime is the primary cause for working fewer hours.
Ding ding ding.

The same-ish 11 guys throwing a ball at the same other 11-ish guys for 5 days straight. And they probably threw the ball at each other in a different town a earlier that same year... and the year before that...
And people get excited about it as if it's the most amazing thing to happen in their lives.
:D

Pitbull

Verboten
I also want to add...

I make sure my work is done before I leave the office so I don't get bothered afterhours with work related stuff so I can game. That can't be said for my non-gaming colleagues. Their work is never up to date and they are always having to deal with issues from home because they fap around in working hours instead of doing what they are being paid for. They don't mind having to jump in after hours to fix something they neglected in the day.

Fark no...!

Polymathic

Honorary Master
I tried playing Medal of Honor Pacific Assault recently was just too long for me.

Voicy

Honorary Master
Watching TV is muuuuch more productive and stimulating.

killerbyte

Expert Member
Well lets look at the factors involved here...

Women are quickly turning into fat land whales who think they are sexy.
Then of course you get the girls who expect the guy to pay for every meal.
A huge chunk of men are saying stuff it. They would rather play games and enjoy their money than give it to a woman who will leave them or cheat on them.

Simply put, relationships are a bad investment for young men. Rather use Tinder to find the girls who are willing to have sex on the first date (and trust me, thats 90% of girls on Tinder) and use the money you save to buy the games, the hardware, the big TV you want. Hell, buy yourself a better car because thats what you want.

On a side note I spend 9-10 hours a day working. And I spend about 4-6 hours a week playing games and if on the weekend I can then around 4-5 hours over the two days - but that is rare occurrence.

Last edited:

^^vampire^^

Expert Member
It was just something I noticed when I was reading the study.
There's been plenty of proof provided that there is indeed no gender pay gap and if anything when women start breaking into different industries they are usually given more favour. My GFs friend got paid 19k more a month than what I did when I left and got my first job solely on the fact that she was going to be the only female software developer in the workplace. Kudos to her on getting that and happy for her but clearly gender based discrimination going on there.

It boils down to women loving to bitch about stuff and this is just another thing for them to bitch about by taking raw numbers at face value and refusing to put them into context to see that they, once again, are treated far better than their male counterparts. I still don't understand, however, that woman fought for their right to be equal to men but won't do any of the ****ty things men are expected to do. It boils down to wanting all the advantages and none of the disadvantages.

^^vampire^^

Expert Member
It was just something I noticed when I was reading the study.
There's been plenty of proof provided that there is indeed no gender pay gap and if anything when women start breaking into different industries they are usually given more favour. My GFs friend got paid 19k more a month than what I did when I left and got my first job solely on the fact that she was going to be the only female software developer in the workplace. Kudos to her on getting that and happy for her but clearly gender based discrimination going on there.

It boils down to women loving to bitch about stuff and this is just another thing for them to bitch about by taking raw numbers at face value and refusing to put them into context to see that they, once again, are treated far better than their male counterparts. I still don't understand, however, that woman fought for their right to be equal to men but won't do any of the ****ty things men are expected to do. It boils down to wanting all the advantages and none of the disadvantages.

TelkomUseless

Executive Member
female software developer.
Dude.. she is going to coin it. I have seen it... female dev? The world is your oyster. Money is no problem.. you don't even have to be awesome good. I have seen one girl move 3 times in 1 year and just pocketing more and more.

Tander

Executive Member
I think it's irrelevant why people take annual leave. It should never be judged upon. Same goes for people who spend money or get into debt for what may seem like stupid reasons to us (Thin, GFX cards) - however, its their money (Or not) and they should do as they please. Conclusion? Pointless study is pointless.

CataclysmZA

Expert Member
More than one of my devs took leave to play Fallout 4 on release day.

I'm not judging on the gaming but holy crap your life is sad if that's a reason to take leave...
What about it makes it sad?

Some people take a day off to cosplay and go watch Star Wars. Some people take a day off to go to the beach and watch surfing competitions. Some people take a day off for their mental health and to relieve stress. Some people take a day off to work on a pet project that makes them happier. Some people spend their day off at a museum. Some people just take a lunch, a blanket, a book, and an umbrella and go spend the day outside in the sun. Some people do nothing.

Gamers take a day off from work to relax and enjoy time alone with something they enjoy doing, sometimes with their friends who do the same. Gaming is a known stress reliever, and it makes people happy. I wouldn't have managed to pull myself through 2016 in one piece if it wasn't for Grand Theft Auto Online.

If that makes someone's life somehow "sad" then I'd like to take a stab at your priorities when you're taking a day off and call that equally sad. The importance of relaxing and doing nothing, and not occupying your brain 24/7 with work, cannot be understated.

lunch

More than one of my devs took leave to play Fallout 4 on release day.

I'm not judging on the gaming but holy crap your life is sad if that's a reason to take leave...
I'm not judging BUT...

Proceeds to judge.

Why do you care how other people spend their time? Sounds like you just want a way to feel superior to people, for no reason other than you're an *******

SlinkyMike

Executive Member
What about it makes it sad?

Some people take a day off to cosplay and go watch Star Wars. Some people take a day off to go to the beach and watch surfing competitions. Some people take a day off for their mental health and to relieve stress. Some people take a day off to work on a pet project that makes them happier. Some people spend their day off at a museum. Some people just take a lunch, a blanket, a book, and an umbrella and go spend the day outside in the sun. Some people do nothing.

Gamers take a day off from work to relax and enjoy time alone with something they enjoy doing, sometimes with their friends who do the same. Gaming is a known stress reliever, and it makes people happy. I wouldn't have managed to pull myself through 2016 in one piece if it wasn't for Grand Theft Auto Online.

If that makes someone's life somehow "sad" then I'd like to take a stab at your priorities when you're taking a day off and call that equally sad. The importance of relaxing and doing nothing, and not occupying your brain 24/7 with work, cannot be understated.
I agree in principle but I'm also admitting that I'm struggling not to judge these okes. It seems like a real waste and I feel sorry for them that it's not leave taken for a long weekend away with a loved one or whatever - it's not my business though and I totally understand that.

I'm not judging BUT...

Proceeds to judge.

Why do you care how other people spend their time? Sounds like you just want a way to feel superior to people, for no reason other than you're an *******
Please see above, the cognitive dissonance is not lost on me.

LET THE GAMERS GAME! (...but also please question if the direction your life is taking is advancing you toward goals that will ultimately lead to long term happiness.)

Xiphan

I agree in principle but I'm also admitting that I'm struggling not to judge these okes. It seems like a real waste and I feel sorry for them that it's not leave taken for a long weekend away with a loved one or whatever - it's not my business though and I totally understand that.

LET THE GAMERS GAME! (...but also please question if the direction your life is taking is advancing you toward goals that will ultimately lead to long term happiness.)
Different strokes for different folks. If I had to take leave and spend most of it outside my reaction would be akin to this meme:

outdoors-****ing-yay-dog-meme.jpg

There's also that adage, “time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time.”

lunch

Keep your pity to yourself, you don't dictate what people need or don't need for long-term happiness. Nobody has to live their life according to your arbitrary rules lol. I hope those guys told you to go **** yourself

Johnatan56

Honorary Master
"work"

How much actual difference in work completed? No answer? Study is pointless.