Your 2020 investments...

What is or was your investment strategy during 2020?

• I did nothing. What will be will be.

Votes: 48 44.4%
  • Sold early, waiting for the dip.

Votes: 11 10.2%
  • Sold everything, never buying shares again. Cash is king.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • What are you guys talking about?

Votes: 9 8.3%
  • I did nothing different and buying more as per usual.

Votes: 40 37.0%

• Total voters

Hamster

Resident Rodent
An how are we doing this financial crisis? :p :crying:

Barring RA's, pensions funds etc. which you have no control over, how are you managing your investments at the moment?

I sold early, still took a knock but slowly climbing back in (by the looks of it this may be the dip). Currently down -15% if I exclude my RA which is a total wreck (nothing I can do about it).

Maybe not being able to touch my RA is a good thing. That way, when the dust eventually settles I can compare if my intervention in other investments had any significant effect over just leaving things as is and letting time sort it out.

Also... buy ETFRHO but watch it like a hawk.

backstreetboy

Honorary Master
Where's the option for buying more? As noted by stockwatch if you're investing R1lk per month in your TFSA just bump it up to R2k for the time being.

Hamster

Resident Rodent
Where's the option for buying more? As noted by stockwatch if you're investing R1lk per month in your TFSA just bump it up to R2k for the time being.
That's if you're doing averaging. Some of us are lucky enough to be able to fund it 100% for the year come 1st March. Luckily I waited and that money is still cash but it is in there. Seems like a waste to just leave it considering the very low interest it is earning.

In hindsight, it may have been better to ship it off to a Goal Save account for the time being to play it save but that ship has long sailed.

I feel for the guys who went and just bought R36k worth of the JSE 40 on the 1st of March.

saturnz

Honorary Master
Most of my trades are based on fundamentals and not technicals.

I was shorting the markets for the past year, on the basis there was very little to no global growth but the markets were jumping. The markets continued to jump and it hurt me quite a bit last year, however over the past two months not only did I recover my losses but my portfolio doubled compared to the point when I started shorting.

I have placed a few longs (mostly oil and one or two indices) now but still expecting more downward movement as companies start to implode, so we will see

TheRidDlerX

Most of my trades are based on fundamentals and not technicals.

I was shorting the markets for the past year, on the basis there was very little to no global growth but the markets were jumping. The markets continued to jump and it hurt me quite a bit last year, however over the past two months not only did I recover my losses but my portfolio doubled compared to the point when I started shorting.

I have placed a few longs (mostly oil and one or two indices) now but still expecting more downward movement as companies start to implode, so we will see
May I ask which platform ur shorting on?

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
Carrying on with my TFSA ETF’s as normal for now.

Not doing any direct stock buying at present.

Gambling a bit on Bitcoin.

mr_norris

Expert Member
The last I bought was when I funded my TFSA at the beginning of the month. I bought just in time for things to go down even more. I won't lie, it hurts to see the value drop like it has. Haven't sold anything, and don't plan to.

As for buying, I will most likely resume my usual buying when cashflow isn't so tight. The big dip hit when I have the least money :/

zmme

I’m carrying on as normal with TFSA contributions.

Not enough cash on hand to buy individual stocks which is a shame.

Hamster

Resident Rodent
So far so good:

DIY
ETFRHO: +95.75% :cool: (if I had the balls I'd have my house almost paid off right about now, but I don't)
DCX10: +25.35%

TFSA
ASHGEQ: +5.68%
ETF5IT: +7.1%
SMART: -1.47% <-- "JSE is cheap they said, time to buy they said"

Take away:
- RSA shares are sh*it, they'll remain sh*it and your RA/Pension has gone to sh*it
- Offshore/Global shares are still the best for long term growth
- If we had free reign in our TFSA to invest in anything we'd all be rich because just LOOK at Rhodium, again.

Park@82

Honorary Master
Paused my monthly RA contribution for now. Down by around 10% on JSE (EE).

JayM

Expert Member
Was looking at relocating in the first half of this year, so I've been almost all in cash for a while (55% USD, 25% GBP, 20% ZAR). Didn't want to risk having to pay capital gains after becoming non resident, only to have the markets correct and then I would start on a lower base. Not in a hurry to move out of cash just yet.

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
This. Why?
Also down 10% is hardly a ripple to get excited a about.

I’m sorry but this is the kind of thing where I think people are best left to have their portfolios managed for them if they go make changes mid crisis instead after the fact.

At least can’t sell it.