Your car's airbags may be putting you at risk

Easter Bunny

Expert Member
Your car’s airbags could explode and kill you – warning for South African drivers
"don't worry, you'll be hijacked before that happens" - my wife.

Skyelmad

But but aren't they supposed to explode? How else are they gonna save you just sitting pretty there? My A3 Airbags exploded and didn't kill me.. They saved me during a Truck head on crash.

PS: i didn't read the article just the headline but %#=÷ it, still true

FiestaST

Honorary Master
There should be a poll/comment section on how much airbags your car has vs how many of those airbags have attempted to kill you.

In my instance is 6/0.

furpile

Expert Member
But but aren't they supposed to explode? How else are they gonna save you just sitting pretty there? My A3 Airbags exploded and didn't kill me.. They saved me during a Truck head on crash.

PS: i didn't read the article just the headline but %#=÷ it, still true
An exploding airbag while you are just normally doing 120 on the highway can knock you out, obstruct your vision and cause an accident, and then you have no airbag to protect you. So it can kill you.

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
LOL.

This is worse than American's not wearing helmets because they believe they cause neck injuries...you neck is useless without your brain.

TEXTILE GUY

Honorary Master
Shooooo .... lots of generalisations thrown in there ....

Takata in fact make airbags around the world with components from several suppliers.

If one were do their homework - all automotive components are registered on an IMDB registry, indicating the who and what in each system, so that such faulty systems can be traced -and recalled if required.
Its likely that the same ignitor that Takata uses is likely in use with TRW and Autoliv, as is the textile in the bag.

More likely the system put together at one of Takatas assembly plants could be the issue, and I would assume the ignitor to be the problem - probably a production lot of these. The airbag itself is not faulty per se.
For interest sake, Takata has a local assembly plant for manufacture of steering wheels and assembly of airbag systems.

[XC] Oj101

Dealer
Am I the only one that thought of Jeremy Clarkson's exploding airbag in the Nile River special? :D

Hemi300c

Honorary Master
I wonder how many cars that have gone through a panel-beater have faulty or even no airbags installed?

This story is somewhat concerning though and some insurers are going to cough seriously.

TEXTILE GUY

Honorary Master
A faulty airbag would not explode on impact, or would explode with no impact.
I would guess that the use of potassium super oxide or potassium perchlorate in the ignitor would suggest the problem being with the latter.

[XC] Oj101

Dealer
I wonder how many cars that have gone through a panel-beater have faulty or even no airbags installed?

This story is somewhat concerning though and some insurers are going to cough seriously.
No matter how big the claim, insurance never loses. If they do, they're doing things wrong.

furpile

Expert Member
So how do I chwck if my car is on that list?
Maybe read the article:
The report listed several Toyota, Mazda, Honda, and Nissan models available in South Africa which are affected by the potentially faulty airbags.

The full report is available in the Sunday Times 13 September 2015 edition.

zizo911

Executive Member
Luckily my car doesn't have any airbags so I don't have to worry about this!