Your current "want to buy" car

IzZzy

Executive Member
I'm in a predicament over my want to buy car. I want to start exploring locally in Southern Africa, and am keen to trade my Sandton crawler Q5 for a proper 4x4.

My options are (1) buy something brand new and keep it forever - that way I know the condition it's in etc. My other key factor is that maintenance should be cheap - so I'm leaning towards Toyota as opposed to a Jeep or Land Rover. These are also super expensive... and I'd imagine parts outside of motor plan are expensive; or (2) buy something second hand but run the risk of it being in a poor mechanical condition. Last thing I want is to be stranded in the bush. But then again, if it's cheaper I wouldn't mind if it gets scratched etc.

The new fortuner is great (if not expensive) but those brown leather seats dont do it for me at all. My next eye is the FJ Cruiser - although I see it's been discontinued internationally. My wife also hates the look of it - but I'm quite keen on it.

Any other ideas? New or second hand?

Foxhound5366

Executive Member
Any other ideas? New or second hand?
A couple guys at my work drive Mitsubishi Pajero 4x4s of all sorts of different ages, and they put them through their paces on the weekend. One does complain that his is a bit heavy on fuel, but if you're coming from a Q5 maybe you won't really notice that.

PhireSide

Executive Member
And if you want an FJ then you had better get used to coughing up for fuel anyways

Those 4L V6 mills are thirsty

chrisc

Executive Member
Another electric car, but not a hybrid, that is cheating and like riding a bike with trainer wheels. I'd want at least 300km range, fast charge (80% charge in 5 mins), a 20 year battery life

Think something like this is not too far away, maybe 2 to 3 years

Then by 2022 or so, I would want to dispense with buying a car altogether and use an autonomous car that I can summon on my phone

Foxhound5366

Executive Member

Rouxenator

Dank meme lord
Test drove this one yesterday and the 2.2 petrol is excellent. Still not too fond of the manual box, it feels notchy like my old Astra G, but I can live with it.

The only potential snag here is that I do not have the cash and will need to sell my Corsa first. The dude selling the car is going to trade it in this weekend unless it sells privately and I'll only be able to to buy it from the dealership since I'll need to trade in.

Arthur

Honorary Master
I'm a toppie now so wouldn't mind a Merc CLS 63 AMG S Coupé.

The problem is it'll only be used for the occasional 3km run to the shops, maybe once a week.

Life has its compromises.

Rouxenator

Dank meme lord
How long does it take banks to get back to you when you apply for finance? The online Wesbank thing said it was successful but I have not heard from them yet.