Your current "want to buy" car

Foxhound5366

Executive Member
How long does it take banks to get back to you when you apply for finance? The online Wesbank thing said it was successful but I have not heard from them yet.
Say whaaaaaaat? Come on Roux, don't leave us hanging: have you bought the old Peugeot of your dreams?

Based on my experience, as soon as the banks approve you then deal with the F&I person at the dealership to sign the contract and it's a done deal.

Rouxenator

Dank meme lord
Well this is the one, I have decided to take the plunge and go for it. I applied for finance to buy it privately, hopefully I can do that before the owner trades it in on the new 2008 that is launching in SA tomorrow. It will be the difference between R89k to the owner and probably R100k to the dealer. But either way I'll chase this one because it is in excellent condition.

It's not a V6 but it's slouch either.
[video=youtube;5XYOL1HLsN0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5XYOL1HLsN0[/video]

Craig

Honorary Master
Test drove this one yesterday and the 2.2 petrol is excellent. Still not too fond of the manual box, it feels notchy like my old Astra G, but I can live with it.

The only potential snag here is that I do not have the cash and will need to sell my Corsa first. The dude selling the car is going to trade it in this weekend unless it sells privately and I'll only be able to to buy it from the dealership since I'll need to trade in.
That's car is way nicer than a corsa.

JJCT

Expert Member
This has been bothering me since yesterday...

http://www.autotrader.co.za/used-cars/porsche/cayenne/2004-porsche-cayenne-turbo-tiptronic--fpa-07033b443ed14479ab7f1b18679e13c7

The fact that the rear end is now quite hideous compared to the new ones is easily overlooked when I consider I can't see it while driving it.

But fortunately the fuel bill is keeping me at bay.
Don't post for any advice in buying. You'll be advised to buy a Hilux instead or accused of wanting to impress or show off.

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
Don't post for any advice in buying. You'll be advised to buy a Hilux instead or accused of wanting to impress or show off.
LOL!

I went down that path looking for a Q3/Q5 and ended up with Porsche because I have a trusted VAG mechanic who I would like to stick to.

But I'm pretty sure it will be a monumentally stupid purchase.

It's just when you look at that and then a Q3/Q5 for similar money (although newer) you have to ask why not?

Then I researched the Turbo V8 on Fuelly and I was like hell no.

JJCT

Expert Member
LOL!

I went down that path looking for a Q3/Q5 and ended up with Porsche because I have a trusted VAG mechanic who I would like to stick to.

But I'm pretty sure it will be a monumentally stupid purchase.
Monumentally stupid, of course it is.....but what fun huh!!!!

Rouxenator

Dank meme lord
Nice engine note Roux! Good luck with the deal, I hope it works out for you.
+1
Keep us informed mate.
That's car is way nicer than a corsa.
Thanks for all the support throughout this crazy undertaking of mine. Usually I buy a car in a day so this is all very new to me, and I have never bought a car with my heart, it has always been with my head.

As expected ABSA did not get back to me, despite me being a client of theirs. Wesbank requested the usual documentation which I just sent off. Seeing as the seller is getting his new 2008 shortly I would like the deal to go through as soon possible to avoid him trading it in and me paying more at the dealership.

About for the Corsa, well it still is a great little car and with less than 57,000km on the clock it feels like a crime to sell it. Afterall, that is the kind of thing I used to buy, cars with their years counting against them, not the mileage. But with me only doing 3000km in my car every year it is ludicrous to have two cars that goes nowhere slowly. I'll try to sell it privately after the 407 deal goes through. Obviously myBB members will get preference/discount on the Corsa so why not come try it out up Helshoogte and back :D

Yes sir, that's my baby (I will hopefully be able to say soon)
be855e6b-ab8d-47e4-ad93-ffb04f6c5bc6.jpg

FiestaST

Honorary Master
It's good the buyer is getting a new Peugeot. More folks need to buy them.

Otherwise we get naysayers claiming they will "pull out" soon.

Rouxenator

Dank meme lord
It's good the buyer is getting a new Peugeot. More folks need to buy them.
Otherwise we get naysayers claiming they will "pull out" soon.
He seems legit. Offered to bring the car to me when I told him I don't usually use my car to get work but instead I bike.

I had a chat with him while I test drove the 2.2 and he has tried all most of the brands out there. His current car is a Kia Sportage and the wife had a 308 CC which is already sold. they are retiring in 5 years and will only need one car. I would say he is more open minded towards cars than an out right Pug fanboi. I'll give him that much, he knew of the new 2008 long before I got the SMS from Peugeot Hatfield today about it. Always good to know dealerships harvest your email/sms when you inquire about anything.
Screenshot_20170316-213423.png

Edit : Seller won't pull out. He's phone number is wrong on the Gumtree ad. Only saw that now, ends on a 3 instead of 5.

Last edited:

Sepeng

Expert Member
This has been bothering me since yesterday...

http://www.autotrader.co.za/used-cars/porsche/cayenne/2004-porsche-cayenne-turbo-tiptronic--fpa-07033b443ed14479ab7f1b18679e13c7

The fact that the rear end is now quite hideous compared to the new ones is easily overlooked when I consider I can't see it while driving it.

But fortunately the fuel bill is keeping me at bay.
Over the top, makes no sense - this is the perfect "want to buy" car. Do it! Petrol be darned.

Foxhound5366

Executive Member

Rouxenator

Dank meme lord
No turning back now - moss mobile is changing hands. Within less than 20 hours of listing the Corsa on Gumtree it was sold. Maybe I was asking too little? Then again I did get R15k more than what a dealership would give me.

hawker

Honorary Master
I'd really like to buy an A3 Sportback 1.9TDi buuuut will have to save a up a while first. Love that car.