Your current "want to buy" car

Rouxenator

Dank meme lord
One lesson I have learned recently is that when buying privately cash is king. You are really opening yourself up for a lot of effort if you buy private and applying for finance.

hawker

Honorary Master
One lesson I have learned recently is that when buying privately cash is king. You are really opening yourself up for a lot of effort if you buy private and applying for finance.
Can probably negotiate a better deal with the seller too if you can pay it all upfront.

Rouxenator

Dank meme lord
Yeah, seems the current modus operandi is to try and get the seller to accept as low as possible of a cash offer. I dropped back from R101k to R95k for a cash offer with the buyer starting at R83k. After I explained that a dealership will give me R80k and for me to entertain the hassles of a private sale it has to be at least R15k more than the dealer price. That said he did offer to do the roadworthy and everything all I need to do is the yellow transfer form when they come to collect the Corsa after payment is in my account. so not really a lot of effort on my side.

Where is PostmanPot - he would have loved this opportunity to say "told you so!" :whistling:

FiestaST

Honorary Master
Your current "want to buy" car

Yeah, seems the current modus operandi is to try and get the seller to accept as low as possible of a cash offer. I dropped back from R101k to R95k for a cash offer with the buyer starting at R83k. After I explained that a dealership will give me R80k and for me to entertain the hassles of a private sale it has to be at least R15k more than the dealer price. That said he did offer to do the roadworthy and everything all I need to do is the yellow transfer form when they come to collect the Corsa after payment is in my account. so not really a lot of effort on my side.

Where is PostmanPot - he would have loved this opportunity to say "told you so!" :whistling:
Nice one. Glad it's working out for you man. Keep us posted

Sadly PP is gone & not returning.

Rouxenator

Dank meme lord
I'm a bit nervous but also pretty excited about how things progressed over this weekend.

What happened to PP and why is his departure so permanent? Recently I thought back to a lot of the things he told me, about private sales and the whole thing around high mileage. He was a cool dude to have around.

Such a fine behind...
IMG_20170326_184753781_HDR.jpg

Craig

Honorary Master
Test drove this one yesterday and the 2.2 petrol is excellent. Still not too fond of the manual box, it feels notchy like my old Astra G, but I can live with it.

The only potential snag here is that I do not have the cash and will need to sell my Corsa first. The dude selling the car is going to trade it in this weekend unless it sells privately and I'll only be able to to buy it from the dealership since I'll need to trade in.
This really is a pretty car. I have never liked any of the corsa's. This one of only a handful of French cars I really like. Congrats.

Rouxenator

Dank meme lord
Thanks, I had a Corsa Lite and then traded up to the Corsa D, which is a very pretty car in my view, even more pretty than the current model E. On the Peugeot I can fully agree with you, I never liked French cars yet the styling of the 407 was enough to pull me. The newer crop like the 508 does not appeal to me. Maybe in future I'll consider an RCZ depending on my tenure with the 407 Coupe goes.

My wife is very supportive of me getting this car, yet when I asked her what we are going to look at when the Astra H auto she drives has becomes too old she made it very clear that she won't be swung that easily. Hopefully by that time a Astra K auto (AKA) can be had at an affordable price.

Foxhound5366

Executive Member
I wanna buy my own car from MFC, settling the remaining debt with a short-term loan :D I'll soon be the owner of a princely Citroen C3 for 'only R60 000. Best of all, I know the former owner really well.

Rouxenator

Dank meme lord
I have financed two cars through MFC and one through Wesbank. My recent experience have left me with the following :

Online applications for private vehicle finance:
Wesbank : 10/10 - They actually have an easy to use system in place and respond to it quickly.
ABSA : 2/10 - Despite being an ABSA platinum client the online application sucked and they never got back to me. I emailed them about it week after and they told me to bugger off.
Standard Bank : 1/10 - The online application as poor as ABSA but you do not get to finish it because it crashed mid wway. If you email them they spam you with "your email is being forwarded to the relevant department".
MFC : 0/10 - No online application.

Dealing with application :
Wesbank : 5/10 - you have to constantly folllow up. They are eager to help but a little too slow. Took me a week instead of 48hours to get the final approval on a trivial loan.
ABSA : 0/10
Standard Bank : 0/10
MFC : 0/10

So from my experience Wesbank seems the easiest, and they will do cars up to 20 years old. But private finance sucks in general. Pay off your cars and live the dream.

Glad to see you have C3. For years I toyed with the idea of a C5 on the same level as a C-Class.

Last edited:

ahoudet

Expert Member
No turning back now - moss mobile is changing hands. Within less than 20 hours of listing the Corsa on Gumtree it was sold. Maybe I was asking too little? Then again I did get R15k more than what a dealership would give me.
Congrats! I'm looking forward to hearing your views on owning the Peugeot :)

Foxhound5366

Executive Member
I have financed two cars through MFC and one through Wesbank.
Here's the thing with MFC Roux: Wesbank won't let you finance a car over 72 months WITH a residual (you can only choose either or with Wesbank) while MFC will let you do both (a bad idea I admit but still very popular thanks to modern car prices). Also MFC interest rates have been very competitive against the other quotes I've received through dealerships in the past.

All three of my cars have been financed through MFC with the applications dealt with by the dealerships, so it appeared seamless to me. Approval came through same-day normally, contract signed following day, job done. I agree that MFC is behind on the technology stakes: personally I'd try to switch to Wesbank just for their solid online facilities if it wasn't for the temptation of being able to be the registered owner of my car.