Your current "want to buy" car

newby_investor

Expert Member
Yeah. You’d need to be very liquid to get one fully out of plan.
I don't really understand this sentiment.

These high-end sedans depreciate pretty quickly, so you can buy an out-of-plan one, spend a ton of money on maintaining it, and still have spent less than you would if you bought one new or even a year or two old.

I have a car that is nearly 15 years old now (Alfa 159 - not quite as nice as a 6-series BMW, I'll grant but still nice). Yeah, it is rather expensive to maintain, I seem to find myself spending about R15-20k per year on it the last couple of years, but compared to the expense of buying a new car? Faaaaar more economical to just suck up the cost of the maintenance. And it's still a really nice car.

Jchan11hk

These high-end sedans depreciate pretty quickly, so you can buy an out-of-plan one, spend a ton of money on maintaining it, and still have spent less than you would if you bought one new or even a year or two old.

I have a car that is nearly 15 years old now (Alfa 159 - not quite as nice as a 6-series BMW, I'll grant but still nice). Yeah, it is rather expensive to maintain, I seem to find myself spending about R15-20k per year on it the last couple of years, but compared to the expense of buying a new car? Faaaaar more economical to just suck up the cost of the maintenance. And it's still a really nice car.
I fully agreed, but the "up and coming" and "successful" people cannot stand driving an old car.
How would their colleagues and their neighbour look at them.
Hence, we need these people otherwise, we will not be able to pick up good demo or second hand cars at good prices.

newby_investor

Expert Member
How would their colleagues and their neighbour look at them.
In my mind, my colleagues and my neighbours all look at me and think "Wow! That Alfa 159 is amazing! I am so jealous."

I have no idea (nor do I care) what they actually think.

6spdmanual

Expert Member

Oh yes, I'm all for buying something outside of plan and looking after it for years thereafter. What I meant was a third party mechanical warranty. If an expensive component such as a turbo blows, the buyer would know that at least they won't have to deal with issues like that.

Splinter

Honorary Master

My car will be 7 years old in October, and that is when the final extended warranty runs out. BMW only allow a two year extension after the original 5 years.

But I plan to keep it. Love it, and still a beast of a car, and to replace it with a modern equivalent will likely be R500k plus after trade in.

I think any possible repairs will be somewhat less than this....

Jefferson D'Arcy

Oh yes, I'm all for buying something outside of plan and looking after it for years thereafter. What I meant was a third party mechanical warranty. If an expensive component such as a turbo blows, the buyer would know that at least they won't have to deal with issues like that.

I'm on board with this. Barge-o-nomics is very popular in the UK. It gets around having the 'oh sh*t' fund baked into exorbitant car payments for an in-motorplan car, where you end up with less car anyway because the budget only allows for boggo fleet models with crap engines.

But are the 3rd party warranties really worth a damn and would they really pay for your turbo?

Aghori

Honorary Master
At the moment I'm totally saving toward a Tesla Model S P100D...pipe dream.

Jefferson D'Arcy

My car will be 7 years old in October, and that is when the final extended warranty runs out. BMW only allow a two year extension after the original 5 years.

But I plan to keep it. Love it, and still a beast of a car, and to replace it with a modern equivalent will likely be R500k plus after trade in.

I think any possible repairs will be somewhat less than this....
Sounds great, what is it?

Splinter

Honorary Master
Agree with your financial sentiments mentioned above
Once the BMW warranty expires, will you be taking out an aftermarket warranty and if so which one.

I will see what they have to offer/what's on the internet at the time. The sly buggers at the service front desk originally tried to sell me an after-market warranty when I extended my motorplan the last time. A bit cheaper, but a LOT less covered.

I imagine they get some kick back from the after-market warranties. They get zilch from extending BMW motorplans.

6spdmanual

Expert Member
If anyone sees one of these for about R50K, please let me know. I neeeeeeeed it!

4C446ED7-1B45-4A97-A05B-61A7185F08A1.jpeg

Rouxenator

Dank meme lord
Alfa Romeo 159 3.2 Q4 Distinctive for sale in Sandton - ID: 25827469 - AutoTrader

I don't think you can get more perfect with a Toyota gearbox.