Your current "want to buy" car

randomcat

Expert Member
I only got a learner's license but if I could drive and afford one:

suzuki-jimny-lite.webp

PhireSide

Honorary Master
B7 or B7.5 Avant, in TDI guise.

Considering retail price on my 2011 Hyundai bought in 2014 only dropped around 20% on the price I paid for it, I'm strongly considering selling it and getting an A4 Avant to scratch the Station Wagon itch.
Not even 12 hours after posting this, my car somehow figured out I am looking at replacing it and greeted me with this when I started it this morning:

IMG-20211018-WA0001.jpeg

F**k!

unobeat

For the next few years(+-8yrs) i am buying no car even though i would like a E90/F30 320d. My Plan now is push the Wifes car, pay it off and reduce debt drastically.
Current cars will be maintained to continue doing motoring duties..

zoozi

Expert Member
Yeah we've reached south america levels now, only the really wealthy can properly afford premium cars when they're all 800k plus now. The rest just live beyond their means/on credit to justify it. Sad stuff, sports cars were always a dream for me, but those dreams are dead in this place.

PhireSide

Honorary Master
B7 or B7.5 Avant, in TDI guise.

Considering retail price on my 2011 Hyundai bought in 2014 only dropped around 20% on the price I paid for it, I'm strongly considering selling it and getting an A4 Avant to scratch the Station Wagon itch.
If all goes according to plan I might be viewing one this weekend. They are super scarce, being the Avant model, and even more so finding one with the 2.0 TDI engine and in the admittedly boring Multitronic variant.

Rouxenator

Dank meme lord
Does this one have a working AC system? :D
If it does not - I don't want it!!! AC is how I got my 407 coupe and why I ditched it 3 years later.

Funny story, but those how followed the sage will know my wife never liked my black French affair. Yet after I moved on and got the red headed German she back tracked to how much more comfy the French Floozy was. That is relative and I guess I like a car with a more sporty feel, I like the 18 inch wheels with 45 profile tyres - but there is no getting away from the fact that even with a lower suspension the 407 coupe rode better.

So much so that before our September long weekend trip to Oudtshoorn my wife wanted me to trade in the Astra J sedan for this in Joburg. Now I am aware of the issues I will face with the Fiat/Alfa 6sp gearbox but having only put 20,000km on this car and loving it, I am not close to letting it go. Even with my style of driving I think most things will uphold for some time to come.

But her Astra H 4sp auto is getting older and had in excess of 150,000km on the odo. Maybe she needs to trade in on a former French presidential car?

The milage on the 607 is 15,000km lower....
1635107784533.png

PhireSide

Honorary Master
Life is too short to have vehicular regrets. Do it, Roux. Jy weet jy wil. You'll get a good deal on the H as well, with the upset in the local car markets being as they are.

/goes off to trade his semi-reliable Korean for a temperamental German

Rouxenator

Dank meme lord
Life is too short to have vehicular regrets. Do it, Roux. Jy weet jy wil. You'll get a good deal on the H as well, with the upset in the local car markets being as they are.

/goes off to trade his semi-reliable Korean for a temperamental German
Yeah, I'll send her the link to the 607 and if she bites then it only a 15 minute drive from home to go check out the car. If she likes it I am sure we'll sit with cash in hand trading in the Astra H for the 607. I just hate the fact of her having a nicer car than me. Then again I have grown to love the live/harsh/sporty feel of the J sedan. I get the point many people make about how automotive journalist ruined modern cars by taking them on the track to review them based only on sporty driving.

PhireSide

Honorary Master
Ag fok. What have I gotten myself into. Curse the lovely French and their utterly perfect riding cars.....

View attachment 1174060
I don't think it would be a hard sell. I looked up the spec and the 607 is a long beast, nearly five meters! Would make a nice tourer, I would imagine. Your bumper would arrive in Oudtshoorn and your boot would still be in Swellendam:ROFL:

En sit af jou notifications, jou vrou wil slaap!

JuliusSeizure

Expert Member
Just waiting a few months to see what happens in my life but if I'm stuck here, looking at the Kia Picanto.

Service

I was planning to pull a trigger on a 2013/4 Sorento until I read about transfer case issues on the Santa Fe. Now I have to look for the drawing board I thought I was done with.

PhireSide

Honorary Master
I was planning to pull a trigger on a 2013/4 Sorento until I read about transfer case issues on the Santa Fe. Now I have to look for the drawing board I thought I was done with.
4x4community has some nice write-ups on different SUV's and their more common issues. Definitely worth a bit of research (coming from someone who nearly bought a Santa Fe)

Service

4x4community has some nice write-ups on different SUV's and their more common issues. Definitely worth a bit of research (coming from someone who nearly bought a Santa Fe)

Thank you. Will definitely check them out.

Rouxenator

Dank meme lord
I loved this little Korean ever since my wife had one as a car pool car.

But still - in 2012 - that 1.,25 with the 5spd manual. What a car it was!