Your current "want to buy" car

Paul_S

Executive Member
My next vehicle needs to be capable of handling our failing road infrastructure which means an SUV with decent suspension and high sidewall tires. It will also need to be second hand as I'm not going fork out R800K+ for a new vehicle.

I was thinking of an Audi Q5 but read too many stories about it's DCT failing at high mileages which costs an arm and leg to fix.
Then I looked at the BMW X3 and X5 xDrive20/30 diesels which use a more reliable conventional torque converter auto box but that will make me a hijack target in this country. :-|

I will probably end up settling on something like a Kia Sorento 2.2CRDi AWD. Maybe a Volvo XC60 D4/D5 because they're so ugly no self-respecting thief would want to touch it?

My recent trip through the Eastern Cape with 5 people in a loaded sedan towing a trailer made me realise that an SUV or 4x4 is not a luxury in this country. I managed to scrape the bottom of my sedan on the the tarred R75 between PE and Graaf-Reinet driving 80km/h in a 120 zone. What an awful piece of road!

Last edited:

6spdmanual

Expert Member
My next vehicle needs to be capable of handling our failing road infrastructure which means an SUV with decent suspension and high sidewall tires. It will also need to be second hand as I'm not going fork out R800K+ for a new vehicle.

I was thinking of an Audi Q5 but read too many stories about it's DCT failing at high mileages which costs and arm and leg to fix.
Then looked at the BMW X3 and X5 xDrive20/30 diesels which have a more reliable torque converter auto box but that makes me a hijack target in this country. :|

I will probably end up settling on something like a Kia Sorento 2.2CRDi AWD. Maybe a Volvo XC60 D4/D5 because they're so ugly no self respecting thief would want to touch it.
Not sure where you get the hijack info from. But for that money I’d recommend an X3 with the 2 litre diesel. You can get an M Sport version if you’re patient enough.

The Trutherizer

Executive Member

hj2k_x

Honorary Master
Merc is following a similar philosophy with this new model.
"Solar panel roof – Ultra-thin roof panels harness the power of the Sun to provide the EQXX’s battery system with up to 25 km (15.5 mi) of additional range"

Only 25km added by the solar roof? I'd have thought they could get it to power all the electrics other than the motors or something.

YeLo

It's a red '08 model. DSG box, no xenons but has all the other bells and whistles. You'd have to fight her for it. Although, she wants an RS3 in her life.

Me, I'm happy with the Leon Cupra - 210kw at the wheels and K04 turbo makes happy sounds. But that car is stage 2, with same mods @Sinbad left on it. May never sell it. Might put it on the track before I let it go, if ever.
How did you manage to insure your Cupra? I’ve been searching for insurers who are willing to take on a heavily modified car but I’m close to giving up.

PhireSide

Honorary Master
"Solar panel roof – Ultra-thin roof panels harness the power of the Sun to provide the EQXX’s battery system with up to 25 km (15.5 mi) of additional range"

Only 25km added by the solar roof? I'd have thought they could get it to power all the electrics other than the motors or something.
That's actually not too bad. You could get an Audi A4 with a solar sunroof but IIRC all it could charge was enough to power the fans for the climate control which helps keep it cool in the summer. I guess limited space, and all that.

YeLo

D7BECD6F-1067-48D7-B92C-30C731351FB5.jpeg 4D26CCFB-6881-4A3E-9224-654FF114AD9E.jpeg 64AB8A4C-6E6E-43D7-BE82-72BC25C5D115.jpeg
I can’t decide between these three cars. If I could afford to buy all 3 of them, I would. Lexus IS350 F-Sport. ZC33S Suzuki Swift Sport 6MT. ND1 Mazda MX-5 Roadster.

The Trutherizer

Executive Member

Only so much solar radiation per square m on the surface of the earth. And depending on efficiency you only gather a portion of it.
Mind you. For most 25km is more than they need most days. So under optimal conditions - It's quite a lovely thing.
For me. I drive much, much less. So every week or two I'd have a full charge, and could use it for a longer trip. Almost never plug in.

hj2k_x

Honorary Master
Only so much solar radiation per square m on the surface of the earth. And depending on efficiency you only gather a portion of it.
Mind you. For most 25km is more than they need most days. So under optimal conditions - It's quite a lovely thing.
For me. I drive much, much less. So every week or two I'd have a full charge, and could use it for a longer trip. Almost never plug in.
Yes that is indeed a good point. I hadn't looked at it that way.

Ivan Leon

Executive Member
Another classic Peugeot 406 Coupe - especially for @Rouxenator

FLPIkUuWUAwRpZU

PhireSide

Honorary Master
Now that my station wagon itch has been scratched, I am once again lusting after an Audi A7 that was a stalwart in my 'future car garage' a few years back. There's not a chance it will fit into the tandem garage, though. The Avant + Picanto is a tight fit as-is.

1647828940992.png