Your go to camera shop?

ThatGuy_ZA

I've purchased a few items from Camera World and have been super impressed with them every time.

Their staff are super friendly and they seem to test and service all used items.

Nanfeishen

Executive Member
I've purchased a few items from Camera World and have been super impressed with them every time.

Their staff are super friendly and they seem to test and service all used items.
Been using them for years, as its one of the only shops i can find Pentax products, always been happy with them.

bwana

MyBroadband
Super Moderator
Katz or Kloppers if I need something in a hurry - otherwise Amazon.

Local fabric shop for backdrops.

Haven't bought much of anything recently.

Athos

Orms (Cape Town)
Outdoorphoto (Pretoria)
Cameratek (Jozi)

Paul Kemp

Expert Member
Kameraz
Most of my stuff was bought second hand. Lenses all came from Kameraz many years ago.

These days it’s the odd adapter from takealot or gumtree.

JAM007

Located in JHB

deesef

Expert Member
This was in 2012, but I found for Canon SA was cheaper or cost the same as the US and Singapore.
Some years back I asked the head of Pentax/Ricoh SA why Pentax camera are so much more expensive than canon. He said that canon SA is a subsidiary of the parent company, while nikon and Pentax locally are separate companies who buy from the parent companies. Apparently this has a massive impact on the import duties, making canon significantly cheaper locally.

Pentax in the USA is MUCH cheaper than here, canon not so much.

genetic

Honorary Master
Orms in Cape Town, Outdoorphoto in Pretoria and Broadcast Hub in Johannesburg (Cresta).

Between those three, I have found everything I've ever needed.

jibo82

Studio equipment lighting etc. Camerastuff in randburg
General photography: orms, outdoorphoto

Based on my experiences with the big photography shops so far, I would rank them in this order:
1. orms - easily the best of the lot. Lookout for specials.
2. Outdoorphoto - close second.
3. Kameraz - customer service inconsistent and prices are on the high side

sometimes I use Amazon and it works our cheaper than buying locally. There is also DigitalExperience in fourways but they don’t have the range the others above have.

nazmo

Expert Member
Orms, Camera World... basically ones with the best pricing. both offer great service.

Some random stuff I get off amazon. like my 360 degree pano headset