Your smartphone can be confiscated if you use it while driving in Cape Town

Jamie McKane

MyBroadband Journalist
Staff member
Super Moderator

Budza

Executive Member
Are you allowed to wipe the phone before handing it in?

Can you remove SIM + SD card?

What a crock of ****.

Still amazes me though, all the people in flashy cars still with phone glued to their ears. Bluetooth!

On another note, are you allowed to shave & drive? I've had to do that a few times... (electric shaver obv.)

thechamp

Honorary Master
What about an ordinary non smart phone? I still have the Nokia 2100.

hungrymamba

Expert Member
It amazes me how people are up in arms about this initiative, yet they complain about deaths on the roads. Should you be left to do as you please?

Easter Bunny

Expert Member
“National legislation makes it illegal to use a cellphone while operating a motor vehicle, which means that a motorist will be fined if caught,” Nqavashe said.
obviously this is not the case in johannesburg.

pinball wizard

Honorary Master
obviously this is not the case in johannesburg.
What?

Just yesterday I saw EMPD pull over some twat at the robots who was on her phone. First time in ages I've seen a copper stop next to someone in traffic and actually do their job.

Couple of years ago I was stopped by JMPD for using my phone while driving.

Pox

Expert Member
Unless you a taxi driver then you can do what you want...
The taxis ignore most traffic rules as they see fit, but unlike idiots on cellphones, they are paying attention to the road around them.

hungrymamba

Expert Member
Are you allowed to wipe the phone before handing it in?

Can you remove SIM + SD card?

What a crock of ****.

Still amazes me though, all the people in flashy cars still with phone glued to their ears. Bluetooth!

On another note, are you allowed to shave & drive? I've had to do that a few times... (electric shaver obv.)
Wouldn't it be hilarious to find a shaver stuck in your mouth with shaving cream all over your face after you crash :laugh: :laugh: ?

Carnajo

Headline is misleading and of course all those who practice recreational outrage jump up waving their arms without actually reading the article.

They're talking about unclaimed phones that they've been sitting with for 4 to 5 years and the article does state that there are multiple opportunities to get your phone back.

“In this by-law, there is a provision to donate cellphones that are impounded. It’s been four or five years that we’ve been sitting with these devices, and we now want to get rid of them,” said Smith.