YouTube buffering and other issues

It's happening again, YouTube app is buffering again even on 144p, while on desktop I'm able to watch 720p60 2x speed with almost no issues. Just a single instance of buffering for a second before getting full speed again.

Did YouTube underestimate the demand from this country?
This whole YouTube thing seems like something perfectly suited as an article on mybroadband ... along with details and feedback from Google as to why they've run out of capacity in ZA and why it's taking so long to resolve.. @rpm ?

Hi, not this ISP, but found similar problems recently...

Using TCPVIEW, I noticed if I got routed via France, its slow, sometines just hangs. All other routings seems ok and fast, although I noticed each route/server has its own pattern on a graph from taskmanager(interesting).
I tried to block some of them in antivirus option, not sure if it can work
---fra16s61-in-f8.1e100.net
---fra16s34-in-f7.1e100.net
---fra24s18-in-f7.1e100.net

Maybe somebody in the know can look into this. Maybe not so obvious with browsing.

Hi, not this ISP, but found similar problems recently...

Using TCPVIEW, I noticed if I got routed via France, its slow, sometines just hangs. All other routings seems ok and fast, although I noticed each route/server has its own pattern on a graph from taskmanager(interesting).
I tried to block some of them in antivirus option, not sure if it can work
---fra16s61-in-f8.1e100.net
---fra16s34-in-f7.1e100.net
---fra24s18-in-f7.1e100.net

Maybe somebody in the know can look into this. Maybe not so obvious with browsing.

Yes that is the main issue. Google starts offloading traffic to EU and any ISP that prefers to obtain YT traffic via peering in JHB has this issue.

It seems like the issue is transit related or the actual edge servers in EU that it reaching limits.

The only realistic solution right now is for more SA ISP's to push to get on network caches to reduce the traffic and hopefully provide a better experience.

Yes that is the main issue. Google starts offloading traffic to EU and any ISP that prefers to obtain YT traffic via peering in JHB has this issue.

It seems like the issue is transit related or the actual edge servers in EU that it reaching limits.

The only realistic solution right now is for more SA ISP's to push to get on network caches to reduce the traffic and hopefully provide a better experience.

Now think about it like this, how much of the Globe has internet today-?(Not that much), and if 7 Billion has internet, how do you think this scenario will play out-?

Been having Gsuite Meet issues today as well , 3 of my work collogues are also having similar ones and using Afrihost/Webafrica, anyone else having problems ? There are no Gsuite problems with the services.

Been having Gsuite Meet issues today as well , 3 of my work collogues are also having similar ones and using Afrihost/Webafrica, anyone else having problems ? There are no Gsuite problems with the services.

We are investigating packetloss between CPT and JHB.

Apologies for the issues experienced.

Can you please do a trace route to 169.1.1.25 for me?

We are investigating packetloss between CPT and JHB.

Apologies for the issues experienced.

Can you please do a trace route to 169.1.1.25 for me?
Seems to have resolved itself a hour after I posted , let me know if you still want a trace

Yip - same here. Experiencing severe buffering again this evening. Started around 6:30pm, and it's still happening at the time of this post.

Wish they will sort this out now.

Have been struggling with it for weeks, while everything else is flying on a 500Mb/s fibre link.

The difference when using a USA VPN is staggering.

VPN On:

Youtube USA VPN On.jpg

VPN Off:

Youtube USA VPN Off.jpg

Still having issues with YouTube on Vumatel.

Its getting rediculous now.

The all is basically unusable on Vumatel.

Hi,

With the ongoing adverse weather conditions in KZN causing multiple outages and fibre breaks we have lost reliable access to our Durban Google cache which we were serving Gauteng IPv6 clients from.

Last night we decided to pull this route and steer traffic to Cape Town instead in an attempt to alleviate the issues.

We are still waiting for our caches for JHB and once received the issues will be fully resolved going forward. Apologies for the issues experienced we are really trying our utmost best to improve the experience.

As of Tuesday night we have seen a good increase of traffic directly from Google in JHB.

Hopefully it's a good sign that the issue is a thing of the past.

Back