YouTube launches channel memberships in South Africa

eg2505

Honorary Master
dont get this, somebody with a Channel help me here?
(are there even youtubists locally with a following?)

youtubists make money on likes, subscribes and on adverts as well as store merchandise sold.
apparently some make a lot of money doing youtubing,

why do they feel obligated to beg for money at every opportunity?
they earn enough, why do they entitled to more constantly?

Gaz{M}

Expert Member
because many many channels don't make enough to support their channels, especially newer or niche channels.

Zen17h

youtubists make money on likes, subscribes and on adverts as well as store merchandise sold.

The big ones with hundreds of thousands to millions of subscribers make money that way, not so much the ones with just a few hundred or thousand subscribers

konfab

Honorary Master

1) It allows them to make money in a more reliable way.
2) Some people produce content that neither Youtube nor their advertising partners want and still make money.
3) It allows the people who make the content to add value to the people who support them by having exclusive content.

Asking people to pay for a service you are providing isn't begging. This type of thing will be very good for the local channels.

furpile

Expert Member
It may be a good thing but the pricing seems too high. R40 a month for one channel? That is almost half a showmax sub, or a third of a netflix sub. How much value do you get out of one channel a month? Maybe people that watch a lot of youtube but can one channel create enough content every month to make that worthwhile?

SeRpEnT

Expert Member
It may be a good thing but the pricing seems too high. R40 a month for one channel? That is almost half a showmax sub, or a third of a netflix sub. How much value do you get out of one channel a month? Maybe people that watch a lot of youtube but can one channel create enough content every month to make that worthwhile?
It's in USD where it's cheap as peanuts...

C4Cat

Executive Member

You're asking why they should be paid for the work they do? Odd. How is it begging? Beggers generally don't offer anything in return.

Nuro

Expert Member
I don't mind supporting my favorite channels, since many of them are not mainstream. But ouch, R40 p/m for a weekly video or bi-weekly in some cases.
EDIT: It might be better going through Patreon

Last edited:

Jan

Drifting in the black
Something I didn't mention in the article — it doesn't look as though creators in South Africa can use channel memberships or Super Chats just yet. I've asked Google for comment and haven't heard back yet, but South Africa isn't listed in any of the YouTube support or creator info pages.