Not that cheap, but another nail in Multichoice's coffin

Thor

Honorary Master
Good! Keep it coming.

Kill Monochoice, kill it with fire

R13...

Honorary Master
Not that cheap, but another nail in Multichoice's coffin

It would be if Multichoice where in the US. Even if you can get around geo restrictions I doubt the number of people capable of and willing to move over would be significant enough to count as a pin on MC's coffin.

Praemon

Expert Member
It would be if Multichoice where in the US. Even if you can get around geo restrictions I doubt the number of people capable of and willing to move over would be significant enough to count as a pin on MC's coffin.

Yup. I highly doubt this will ever launch locally, so it has no bearing on Multichoice.

fbman

Yup. I highly doubt this will ever launch locally, so it has no bearing on Multichoice.

It will not, the cnet articles stated its a US only service and there are no plans to expand it. So get your VPN's ready

Creag

The Boar's Rock
A YouTube TV membership costs $35 a month and there are no long-terms commitments.

Pricey, but still a decent replacement to DSTV. Given that it will include sport content (hopefully including cricket and rugby), I'd bite without hesitation.

YouTube TV will be available soon in the US.

The final line of article just killed me :( this means the roll out to SA could be a fair wait. Pity.

konfab

Honorary Master
Pricey, but still a decent replacement to DSTV. Given that it will include sport content (hopefully including cricket and rugby), I'd bite without hesitation.

Broadcasting rights to Cricket and Rugby(as well as other sports) are owned by multichoice. This is why when the Olympics was broadcast on Youtube, it was blocked in South Africa, yet Botswana could stream it.

Ninja'd

A Djinn

US only so it will heavily feature their sports.

Pitbull

Verboten

The final line of article just killed me :( this means the roll out to SA could be a fair wait. Pity.
Pfft, don't you live in the US?

Doubt they will get hammered like Netflix to put in nasty DNS blockers and the likes. Youtube has a crap load of money, they won't be arsed.

Creag

The Boar's Rock
Broadcasting rights to Cricket and Rugby(as well as other sports) are owned by multichoice. This is why when the Olympics was broadcast on Youtube, it was blocked in South Africa, yet Botswana could stream it.

This is the bit that may require special consideration. To a certain extent I can make a plan iro rugby. Just not so sure about cricket. That said, Baxteen keeps puttin' up links to the cricket on the interwebz.

US only so it will heavily feature their sports.

I reckon that's a given. At least I'll pick up the golf and the odd soccer match somewhere :)

Pfft, don't you live in the US?

Doubt they will get hammered like Netflix to put in nasty DNS blockers and the likes. Youtube has a crap load of money, they won't be arsed.

Totally agree. Cannot see them trying to cut their nose off.

Lazy

It sounds like YouTube are copying Sling TV, which is cheaper than YouTube at $20 per month.

On rugby and cricket, in the US all you need is some sort of access to ESPN and you can stream it all live or as full recordings later on. We've not missed a Super Rugby game and even watched the Proteas klap the Kiwi's

haroldj

Its very hard to connect to Youtube tv, because all American states don't have access, there is a problem when connecting with smartdnsproxy as compared to other providers, I tried with vpn, smartdns, google chrome, maybe when all American states have coverage we can try again and someone on this forum will find a solution on how to get youtube tv.