YouTube Music is fastest-growing music streaming service

Hanno Labuschagne

Journalist
Staff member
YouTube Music is fastest-growing music streaming service

YouTube has signed up more than 50 million paid subscribers to its music service, a major milestone for Google’s video site that has long been criticized by record labels and Hollywood studios for giving away their work for free.

That 50 million figure includes people paying for YouTube Music, customers for YouTube Premium, who get music as part of their subscription, as well as customers still on a trial basis.

The company didn’t disclose how much revenue it was generating from its subscriptions, nor the average price the users paid.

[Bloomberg]

SirFooK'nG

Executive Member
At R29pm for a family subscription it's a steal
Add the Youtube Subs and its still definitely worth it. No adverts is awesome. Youtube practically my primary source of TV / Video entertainment these days.

backstreetboy

Honorary Master
Good hopefully it gets more devs working on it now. Been spamming them for a Spotify connect alternative since yonks.

Speedster

Honorary Master
Add the Youtube Subs and its still definitely worth it. No adverts is awesome. Youtube practically my primary source of TV / Video entertainment these days.
There's no extra subs for YouTube. It's all included

Chunk20

Expert Member
How many actually use it as I pay for premium but don't use it

That 50 million figure includes people paying for YouTube Music, customers for YouTube Premium, who get music as part of their subscription, as well as customers still on a trial basis.

Nuro

Expert Member
Well, I hope they fix the disaster that is YouTube Music. I was a long time subscriber of Google Play Music since they launched here. The devs seem to not really care about user feedback.
Android music downloads getting stuck, unable to cast out of Chrome (their own browser). I know you can cast the entire tab, that's not the point. No app for Android TV, bad library navigation...this list goes on.
I switched to Spotify 6 months ago. Spotify connect is simply awesome, they integrate with so many devices, and IMHO the libary management is simply better.

EDIT: There is an app for Android TV, but it simply takes you to the Music section in regular Youtube which sucks. Last time I checked anyway.

blowdart18

When I moved from Google Music to YouTube, I instantly regretted the music quality.

Most of their music plays from the video portion of a song and not the actual studio recording, meaning the quality various from song to song. It would either be too long, the volume would fluctuate from song to song, or just in general you would have these weird echo noises.

Also picked up that the "random function" of the app never worked properly, of the 2000 odd songs I liked it would constantly play the same 100 songs.

backstreetboy

Honorary Master
Well, I hope they fix the disaster that is YouTube Music. I was a long time subscriber of Google Play Music since they launched here. The devs seem to not really care about user feedback.
Android music downloads getting stuck, unable to cast out of Chrome (their own browser). I know you can cast the entire tab, that's not the point. No app for Android TV, bad library navigation...this list goes on.
I switched to Spotify 6 months ago. Spotify connect is simply awesome, they integrate with so many devices, and IMHO the libary management is simply better.

EDIT: There is an app for Android TV, but it simply takes you to the Music section in regular Youtube which sucks. Last time I checked anyway.
Never had that happen. Just use the Youtube app. It's great that they're consolidating things under one app instead of having a gazillion different ones.

backstreetboy

Honorary Master
When I moved from Google Music to YouTube, I instantly regretted the music quality.

Most of their music plays from the video portion of a song and not the actual studio recording, meaning the quality various from song to song. It would either be too long, the volume would fluctuate from song to song, or just in general you would have these weird echo noises.

Also picked up that the "random function" of the app never worked properly, of the 2000 odd songs I liked it would constantly play the same 100 songs.
There's a toggle in Settings to not play music videos.

saor

Honorary Master
Hmmm. Thinking of dropping Spotify and trying this instead. I'm not really enjoying the Spotify interface and personally find it a kak way of finding new music - the curated / suggested playlists don't do it for me and they tend to play a lot of the same stuff over and over. It's great for albums I want instant access to, but I find most new stuff on regular youtube anyway.

PsYTraNc3

Expert Member
Hmmm. Thinking of dropping Spotify and trying this instead. I'm not really enjoying the Spotify interface and personally find it a kak way of finding new music - the curated / suggested playlists don't do it for me and they tend to play a lot of the same stuff over and over. It's great for albums I want instant access to, but I find most new stuff on regular youtube anyway.
I switched from Spotify to YTM over a year ago since I signed up for YT Premium to skip ads.
For me, the Spotify interface and auto created playlists were much better on Spotify.

I've been through quite a few of them including Deezer, Google Play Music and iTunes.
Spotify was my favorite.

NeonNinja

Neon Resident
Even with the toggle it still played the music video version - actually submitted it as a bug, not sure if they fixed it.
Main reason I'm still sticking to Spotify. It gets music from the videos. Atrocious.

saor

Honorary Master
Main reason I'm still sticking to Spotify. It gets music from the videos. Atrocious.
If this is true then I'm having second thoughts. I thought they'd have artists submitting proper audio files for streaming (like Spotify etc.) on their 'music' streaming platform, rather than pulling audio from videos.

backstreetboy

Honorary Master
If this is true then I'm having second thoughts. I thought they'd have artists submitting proper audio files for streaming (like Spotify etc.) on their 'music' streaming platform, rather than pulling audio from videos.
They do. There's an Songs and Videos grouping:
1630574463697.png

Nuro

Expert Member
Never had that happen. Just use the Youtube app. It's great that they're consolidating things under one app instead of having a gazillion different ones.
Sure, try navigating a big playlist in the Android TV app, plus it also starts mixing your listening history with you watch history. This means if I want to go back to a video I watched, I need to go through all the tracks I listened to as well.

ToxicBunny

Oi! Leave me out of this...

It will take a miracle to fix YTM in my opinion... The App is just monumentally shyte. I still pay for Premium purely so I get ad free Youtube, but I moved my music streaming to Spotify.