YouTube music streaming “value gap” biggest threat to industry

klipdrifter

Look I think they have a point. Music artist aren't getting nearly the same money from YouTube as lets say iTunes, Google Music etc.

The point of interest here is, do people think the pricing from the streaming services are fair or not? Looking at the stats it seems not.

So now the question becomes, what is the right price for a music streaming service according to the average Joe?

My personal opinion is that R90 a month for unlimited music is not bad at all. Look what a CD / DVD cost you and then its only 1 artist.

Some people might argue that it is not actually R90 a month as you need a internet connection as well and they have a point but then I can argue and say if you are willing to pay R100 - R200 per CD/DVD you can just as well get an internet connection...

Pitbull

Verboten
Look I think they have a point. Music artist aren't getting nearly the same money from YouTube as lets say iTunes, Google Music etc.

The point of interest here is, do people think the pricing from the streaming services are fair or not? Looking at the stats it seems not.

So now the question becomes, what is the right price for a music streaming service according to the average Joe?

My personal opinion is that R90 a month for unlimited music is not bad at all. Look what a CD / DVD cost you and then its only 1 artist.

Some people might argue that it is not actually R90 a month as you need a internet connection as well and they have a point but then I can argue and say if you are willing to pay R100 - R200 per CD/DVD you can just as well get an internet connection...

Sorry what?

If they have a good song, at $0.80 - $8 per 1000 views...

Adel - Hello: Over 900 million views
Maroon 5 - Sugar: Over 900 million views
Shakira - Waka Waka - Over 900 million views
Eminem and Riana - Love the way you lie: Over 900 million views
LMFAO - Party Rockers: Over 1 Billion views
Major Lazer & Dj Snake - Lean on: Over 1 Billion views
Sea - Chandelier: Over 1 Billion views
One Republic - Counting stars: Over 1 Billion views
Little baby bum - Wheels on the bus: Over 1 Billion views
Megan Trainer - All about that Bass: Over 1.2 Billion views
Kate Perry - Roar: Over 1.2 Billion views
Enrigue Iglesias - Bailando: Over 1.2 Billion views
Kate Perry - Dark horse: Over 1.2 Billion views
Taylor Swift - Shake it off: Over 1.2 Billion views
Justin Bieber - Baby: Over 1.2 Billion views
Mark Ronson - Uptown Funk: Over 1.2 Billion views
Wiz Kalifa - See you again: Over 1.3 Billion views
Talotr Swift - Like Space: Over 1.3 Billion views
Psy - Gangnam style: Over 2.5 Billion views

So let's take Adel as an example at only $0.80 per 1 000 views, that is $720k. Money she would not have had was it not for Youtube...

Psy has made at least $1.9 million

Last edited:

klipdrifter

Sorry what?

So let's take Adel as an example at only $0.80 per 1 000 views, that is $720k. Money she would not have had was it not for Youtube...

I hear you, what I tried to say is that if those 1000 views were converted to listeners on iTunes the artist would get even more money. I don't say I agree with iTunes nor YouTube. Just stating why they are disputing YouTube's system.

backstreetboy

Honorary Master
I hear you, what I tried to say is that if those 1000 views were converted to listeners on iTunes the artist would get even more money. I don't say I agree with iTunes nor YouTube. Just stating why they are disputing YouTube's system.
Music videos are just promotional. They should be lucky if they get any money from them.

Thor

Honorary Master
Sorry what?

They do not get that much.

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master

Personally at the R90 off Apple Music costs me they are making more money off me on a yearly average than they would otherwise because I'm tied in and pay it every month without blinking.

I don't spend the same otherwise if I were to manually purchase music.

Knyro

PhD in Everything
You are aware that music videos are shot for marketing purposes right? Previously they got zero income. I think a couple hundred K is a great return ;)

That was back when people saw the video then went out to buy the CD. Now why would people go buy the CD if they can just listen to the tracks on YouTube? Music videos aren't just ads anymore when you can watch them on demand.

This is precisely why artists like Jay-Z and Kanye took their songs off YouTube and started Tidal. Musicians there get the highest share of profits of any streaming service.

Thor

Honorary Master
That was back when people saw the video then went out to buy the CD. Now why would people go buy the CD if they can just listen to the tracks on YouTube? Music videos aren't just ads anymore when you can watch them on demand.

This is precisely why artists like Jay-Z and Kanye took their songs off YouTube and started Tidal. Musicians there get the highest share of profits of any streaming service.
And patreon

access

Honorary Master
assuming that all people would go buy the music if it was not on youtube is a fairytale.

this is the correct outlook, why go pirate the music when you can just listen to it on youtube. now with youtube its no longer(far less) pirated and at least they get some revenue from it.

taking things for granted again, forgetting why things went this direction in the first place...

Knyro

PhD in Everything
assuming that all people would go buy the music if it was not on youtube is a fairytale.

this is the correct outlook, why go pirate the music when you can just listen to it on youtube. now with youtube its no longer(far less) pirated and at least they get some revenue from it.

taking things for granted again, forgetting why things went this direction in the first place...

You're the one making assumptions here, nobody said that. People were pirating long before Youtube became popular. I'm not talking about those people.

Fact remains that there is even less incentive now to go out and buy a CD among non-piraters. The fact remains that artists get larger cuts on services other than YouTube.

Neoprod

Honorary Master
The younger generation are even less into physical media and "ownership" than the ones who came before. Add into that they listen to music on crappy ear buds most of the time, they tend to not care about sound quality much either. Monetising the next generation is rapidly becoming more about touring and merchandising than physically selling them a song.

access

Honorary Master
You're the one making assumptions here, nobody said that. People were pirating long before Youtube became popular. I'm not talking about those people.

Fact remains that there is even less incentive now to go out and buy a CD among non-piraters. The fact remains that artists get larger cuts on services other than YouTube.

so nobody compared revenue between iTunes and youtube?

you miss the point anyway, your tidal example requires people to pay for music.

people that do not want to pay for music will not, they will find other means to get it for free. with youtube they get it for free and the artists still get some revenue.

do not compare people that buy CDs to people that want to listen for free. this is a mistake.

looking at your approach, why would you go buy a CD when you can buy a digital copy or individual tracks for far less? this already is a far less incentive to buy a CD...

Knyro

PhD in Everything

you miss the point anyway, your tidal example requires people to pay for music.

people that do not want to pay for music will not, they will find other means to get it for free. with youtube they get it for free and the artists still get some revenue.

do not compare people that buy CDs to people that want to listen for free. this is a mistake.

looking at your approach, why would you go buy a CD when you can buy a digital copy or individual tracks for far less? this already is a far less incentive to buy a CD...

You're the one missing the point. Pitbull was talking about music videos as marketing. ie. just ads to the people that are willing to pay for music.

You're talking about a completely different set of people.

access

Honorary Master
You're the one missing the point. Pitbull was talking about music videos as marketing. ie. just ads to the people that are willing to pay for music.

You're talking about a completely different set of people.

you are not firing on all cylinders, pitbull never typed the word iTunes.

the point here is the value gap, youtube is free and provides little revenue via adverts, while paid services are not free and provides more revenue.

taking away the free youtube service will no increase revenue, it will decrease it. we will just go around in circles.

Knyro

PhD in Everything
you are not firing on all cylinders, pitbull never typed the word iTunes.

the point here is the value gap, youtube is free and provides little revenue via adverts, while paid services are not free and provides more revenue.

taking away the free youtube service will no increase revenue, it will decrease it. we will just go around in circles.

This is the silliest conversation I've had on MyBB in a while. Did I say Pitbull was talking about iTunes? We were talking about videos on Youtube as a purely marketing tool. They aren't just marketing when people can access them on demand.

You're just coming in with your own assumptions and talking arguing points nobody is talking about.

Pitbull

Verboten
Knyro is right. I did actually elude to it being marketing material only neglecting that today it's actually a service not an advert.

That being said though, Youtube is a great platform for them and they do make good money where they would otherwise not make a cent.

access

Honorary Master

You're the one making assumptions here, nobody said that.

then somehow pitbull enters the story

You're the one missing the point. Pitbull was talking about music videos as marketing. ie.

meanwhile...