YouTube Premium launched in South Africa

Jan

Drifting in the black
YouTube Premium launched in South Africa

Google has announced the launch of YouTube Premium in South Africa.

Addressing guests and media at an event in Johannesburg on 12 March, the company said it was focusing on the availability of YouTube Music initially. However, it assured that it was busy rolling out the ability to subscribe to YouTube Premium to South Africans.

McT

The Humble Scot!
Seems my dabble in GPM paid off. Not sure what makes this YT experience better. Will learn this in time (I hope).

genetic

Honorary Master
With all the things you have to subscribe to going to cost a grand just to watch everything
It's R12 more a month than Googles music streaming service, and the subscription includes the streaming service. The ad free experience and background playback on Mobile alone is worth it. Also there's a few YouTube Originals I haven't been able to watch because it wasn't available in SA.

phly

Expert Member
Do you use Google Play Music? YouTube background playing on your phone? Ad free YouTube videos on your mobile device? Watch any YouTube original series?
Nope, Spotify for me all the way - on mobile and on pc and on android tv in the background. Youtube is the standard youtube videos and on pc so adblocker takes care of ads there. Youtube original series?? Netflix satisfies my needs with its original series.

JanB02

I still don't get it. What is the use of Premium Music if I have GPM already? GPM alreay play in background and everything else. Or is it the same thing, with two names?
Does Youtube Premium include a Music subscription, or is it extra?

kripstoe

Expert Member
Already signed up... been . for this for years. Only R12 more than Google Play Music. It's a no brainer.
Exactly. R12 more and no more Samsung or Breitling ads!

Edit: And 6 family members/friends have access.

Reactions: rh1

backstreetboy

Honorary Master
Nope, Spotify for me all the way - on mobile and on pc and on android tv in the background. Youtube is the standard youtube videos and on pc so adblocker takes care of ads there. Youtube original series?? Netflix satisfies my needs with its original series.
Adblock doesn't work on my Telly or phone and not going to muck about installing hacked apk's. All they need now is to enable their Spotify Connect like service and I can cancel Spotify.

backstreetboy

Honorary Master
I still don't get it. What is the use of Premium Music if I have GPM already? GPM alreay play in background and everything else. Or is it the same thing, with two names?
There's a three month free trial https://www.youtube.com/premium. Pretty sure subscribing will answer all your q's...

Last edited:

Genisys

Executive Member
I have a Play Music sub and it seems I got Youtube Music Premium as part of my subscription. Browsed though a few songs, so far the selection is way better than that of Google Play Music, probably better than Spotify as well.