YouTube Premium launched in South Africa

Hunted

Download firefox as your browser. Install browser based adblock such as ublock. Browse to youtube and enjoy. Keeps it active as well.

Pain in the arse and Youtube premium will probably be more convenient.
Been using ublock and adblock plus for years (the latter) and yes forgot when I last saw an add on Youtube on my PC browser.

With this said on my phone and more important on my Nvidia shield where the family watch lots of youtube it will be nice now not to see the Ads anymore. Had the family GPM subscription so this will be very handy in my case.

Rabobi

Executive Member
Are you on someones family plan? Either Google Play Music or youtube. That might be why. The owner of the plan needs to upgrade.
Yep correct. I had to leave the existing group. Now i see the option to take up premium, thanks

Bryn

Doubleplusgood
No, YTM is the same as GPM, just with integrated video. GPM will eventually get replaced by YTM
Not in its current form it won't. Tried out Youtube Music a bit today and it's much worse as a music app than GPM. Very disappointing.

There is clear potential though. Video instead of album art is quite cool if they can find a way to zoom sensibly on mobile. The Youtube Music concept works much better at music.youtube.com on desktop.

That said, it's well worth the money just to get rid of mobile Youtube ads. Jesus, it's so nice.

Bryn

Doubleplusgood
Is it just me or is most of the text illegible for everyone at music.youtube.com?

So much white text on a light grey background. Wtf Google.

Budza

Executive Member
Can anyone confirm if YTM works with Telkom LIT Music streaming? (Works with GPM)

Tector

Got home and signed up. Still can't access YouTube Originals. (I want to legally watch Cobra Kai and Origin).

It shows me "Video blocked in country" and when I click on a video it says "Video unavailable" like it always did.

Amended the article accordingly, and fired off some questions to Google.
After signing up for premium I went onto my smart tv app and noticed the region was set to UK in settings. Changed it to SA and can confirm that originals play without issue. Maybe try that if you haven't figured it out by now yet

Voodoo

After signing up for premium I went onto my smart tv app and noticed the region was set to UK in settings. Changed it to SA and can confirm that originals play without issue. Maybe try that if you haven't figured it out by now yet
Play Cobra Kai episode 3.

copacetic

King of the Hippies
I'm not much enjoying the interface of YouTube Music at first glance, but it's got Devin Townsend's albums, unlike GPM (which is confusing, but still a positive for me).

Still no Rammstein, goddamnit.

genetic

Honorary Master
I'm not much enjoying the interface of YouTube Music at first glance, but it's got Devin Townsend's albums, unlike GPM (which is confusing, but still a positive for me).

Still no Rammstein, goddamnit.
Plenty Rammstein. All songs, albums and playlists...

Screenshot_20190313-200333.jpg

copacetic

King of the Hippies
Plenty Rammstein. All songs, albums and playlists...

View attachment 632902
I think they have an exclusive deal with Spotify (in respect of their albums), so there are covers, some songs that appeared in other forms, and music videos. But no actual albums.

This is where GPM wins, as you can upload anything that is not available.

I understand there are all sort of complexities around licensing all this stuff globally, but the winner is going to be whomever has the biggest library (or alternative options). I vastly prefer Spotify, but am forced to choose GPM as I can upload music to it, for which there are no streaming rights to in SA.

*edit*

Yeah, as far as I can see there's not even one album available.

*further edit*

Yep, seems like an exclusive deal with Spotify. Now if Spotify had Devin Townsend's catalogue, I'd probably switch over in a second. There's no winning, ffs.

Last edited:

Bryn

Doubleplusgood
No? Only seeing music videos. Playlists don't necessarily include any Rammstein.
In Youtube Music, you can add any music video to your playlists, and you can disable video mode if you just want the audio. So Google has sneakily allowed almost any song to exist in their music streaming. As long as a music video exists.

The curated playlists in Youtube Music have so far been amazingly good. Damn, making me question how much I need Spotify.

Park@82

Honorary Master
[QUOTE="Bryn, post: 23092182, member: 105871" Tried out Youtube Music a bit today and it's much worse as a music app than GPM. Very disappointing.
[/QUOTE]

What is worse about it?