YouTube Premium launched in South Africa

Bryn

Doubleplusgood
What is worse about it?
  • The music library doesn't feel like a personal 'collection'. Albums are not ordered alphabetically but rather by date added. Doesn't even have a nice page - feels tacked on to the last played section. It's a real downer feeling like your beloved collection doesn't mean anything to Google.
  • Browsing all available curated content is not easy, but GPM is crap at that too.
  • The best radio station in GPM, New Release Radio, doesn't seem to exist in YT Music. The (rather awesome) new personal mixtape isn't a replacement for that.
  • The crippling background colour problem isn't helping usability. Jesus, I can barely read half the stuff. I hope this gets fixed soon.
  • Player controls in the bottom left corner of the web app is a bewildering design decision.
  • Can't upload music as you can with GPM. This is a crushingly disappointing difference between them.
  • Following/subscribing to an artist also follows them on Youtube. So I'll never follow anyone, and possibly miss notifications about new releases.

However, I am liking a lot about the service. As I mentioned above, it is starting to make me question how long I'm going to need Spotify for.

• Curated playlists seem to be substantially better than on GPM.
  • The now playing view is flippen awesome.
  • Having tracks play their music video automatically if it's available instead of show album art is very cool. On mobile not so much, but certainly on desktop. The giant album art is great even when there isn't a video.
  • The dark colour theme is much less retina-searing than GPM.
  • Ad-free Youtube justifies the expense single-handedly.
So it remains to be seen if YT Music can replace Spotify for my music needs. GPM has made me feel the same way briefly in the past, but the 'honeymoon' phase ends quite abruptly once you've exhausted the obvious curated and personalised content on display. With Spotify, there's pretty much no end to that with the incredible amount of stuff provided to your tastes.

I'll reserve judgement for a few days. It would be very convenient if YT Music turns out to truly be brilliant, as I want Youtube Premium for the ad-free Youtube anyway.

backstreetboy

Honorary Master
[QUOTE="Bryn, post: 23092182, member: 105871" Tried out Youtube Music a bit today and it's much worse as a music app than GPM. Very disappointing.
What is worse about it?[/QUOTE]Can't swipe to change a song. Have to tap buttons like it's 2001...

Park@82

Honorary Master
I see that YT Music allows one to download individual songs unlike Play music.

hj2k_x

Honorary Master
Signed up for YouTube Premium.

So far so good. No ads. Seems I can download all videos now? Even music videos which previously were blocked for download.

fruitbat

Expert Member
Signed up and finally the family account is working for me. The drawback with Spotify was the latest lacl family account in za.

Has anyone got YouTube music working on their google home kit? Mine is telling me it’s not available in my region. While google play music is working just fine. Also. I did set YouTube as the default music app. Anyone with succes?

ECHLN

I tried it for an hour and hated it. Spotify is still king. Especially when it comes to playlists and ease of use knowing that you can share a spotify link and no one will complain about not having the app.

RedViking

Nord of the South
Coming from GPM I don't like YTM.

The quality of the songs are not good as it seem to just take any music 'video' with a song, and list it as a song. So there are a lot of junk resulst when you search for a song. Flippen annoying.

With YTS you now get the Cover Song, the Karaoke song, the In The Style Of, The Bass Cover, the Harp Cover....

JUNK JUNK JUNK JUNK.

The worst is if YTM puts an automatic list together and all those junk also goes in there.

So, as a replacement for GPM, YTM is definitely not a solution. I ONLY want the Official Songs from the Artists and not all the other junk uploaded to YouTube. If they want to do that, they must give a filter. (Official Source Only)
(Minimum Bitrate)

I don't want music pulled from a video.

GPM only give you the original or official songs from the artist in the highest quality available.

RedViking

Nord of the South
You have to add it to a library and download the library for offline playback?
There are two ways.

Add to your Library: Go to the "Album" in your library and select download. If you only add a single song to the library, it will still show the Album but only with one song in.

Another way is to add it to a Playlist and download the playlist. Every time you add a song to that playlist it will automatically download.

I have the "Thumbs Up" playlist on download. So when ever a Thumbs Up a song it will download. You can of course do it with any playlist.

Reaper84

Expert Member
I'm trying out YTM atm but if I don't like it I'll just go back to using GPM because we still have access to that. It's not as if they are stopping you from using GPM now.

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master
I'm trying out YTM atm but if I don't like it I'll just go back to using GPM because we still have access to that. It's not as if they are stopping you from using GPM now.
Yeah... I've upgraded to YTM, purely because for the little extra every month there are no more ads on Youtube.... that is worth the money to me all on its own.

copacetic

King of the Hippies
  • Following/subscribing to an artist also follows them on Youtube. So I'll never follow anyone, and possibly miss notifications about new releases.
That's incredibly stupid. Why...

RedViking

Nord of the South
But they will soon. Hopefully they are not stupid and go ahead with it.

Polymathic

Honorary Master
If the revenue split is like the ad split. 60% of the R71.99 will be split amongst the artists and YouTube content producers you watch.

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master
Signed up and finally the family account is working for me. The drawback with Spotify was the latest lacl family account in za.

Has anyone got YouTube music working on their google home kit? Mine is telling me it’s not available in my region. While google play music is working just fine. Also. I did set YouTube as the default music app. Anyone with succes?
Youtube Music on the Google Homes only works in the US and Aus for the moment.

InfidelGastro

Expert Member
I don't see any reason for me to pay any "Premium sub". I watch you tube videos on my desktop and stream them to the TV's if I want to, all the while using an ad blocker. Works for me. The music streaming service is irrelevant to me since I don't use any streaming music service.