YouTube Premium launched in South Africa

RedViking

Nord of the South
I don't see any reason for me to pay any "Premium sub". I watch you tube videos on my desktop and stream them to the TV's if I want to, all the while using an ad blocker. Works for me. The music streaming service is irrelevant to me since I don't use any streaming music service.
Well then it is not worth it. Correct.

It is like having Vitality but you never do any exercise.

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master
I don't see any reason for me to pay any "Premium sub". I watch you tube videos on my desktop and stream them to the TV's if I want to, all the while using an ad blocker. Works for me. The music streaming service is irrelevant to me since I don't use any streaming music service.
For your use case, no its not worth it..

I personally make extensive use of the music streaming service, and think an extra R20 per month for an ad free Youtube is worth it, it means people can still get paid for the work and I don't have the annoyance of those damn ads and I don't have to do anything to avoid them...

killerbyte

Expert Member
If the revenue split is like the ad split. 60% of the R71.99 will be split amongst the artists and YouTube content producers you watch.
This is the reason I am contemplating getting YT Premium. I watch a few hours of content each day off YT and I feel a little guilty that I use an adblocker. R72pm is nothing for me to live guilt free and know that the channels I watch are getting some revenue because of me.

Bryn

Doubleplusgood
I see Firefox displays music.youtube.com correctly for me, with the black background everywhere. Wtf. Does anyone else have the web app in Chrome showing a light grey background instead, making the text almost unreadable?

Polymathic

Honorary Master
I see Firefox displays music.youtube.com correctly for me, with the black background everywhere. Wtf. Does anyone else have the web app in Chrome showing a light grey background instead, making the text almost unreadable?
Maybe chrome is running the latest version. Brave also has a black background for me. Also check what if you have YouTube dark mode enabled on Chrome

Bryn

Doubleplusgood
Maybe chrome is running the latest version. Brave also has a black background for me. Also check what if you have YouTube dark mode enabled on Chrome
I did try turning on dark mode in Youtube. Didn't do anything.

I am running the latest Chrome. Why would that impact it?

One of my brothers has the same issue as me and the other doesn't. Wtf.

epah

Expert Member
If you want originals just set your account location to USA, that’s what I just did and it works. However the subscription price is R94 but you also get 3 months free trial. I will cancel after the 3 months though.

Voodoo

If you want originals just set your account location to USA, that’s what I just did and it works.
Tried that. Does not work. Although Originals show up, search for Cobra Kai, episode 3 and you will see that it does not play.

Bryn

Doubleplusgood
The Originals I've briefly checked out are so godawful. And that's not counting Logan Paul and Jake Paul appearing in some thumbnails, which I wouldn't click unless my mouse malfunctioned. Their faces quite strongly push me out the Originals section.

Are any of them watchable?

epah

Expert Member
The Originals I've briefly checked out are so godawful. And that's not counting Logan Paul and Jake Paul appearing in some thumbnails, which I wouldn't click unless my mouse malfunctioned. Their faces quite strongly push me out the Originals section.

Are any of them watchable?
None of them are watchable. Wouldn’t waste my money on it.

AstroTurf

Lucky Shot
Youtube premium on my phone has been an absolute pleasure so far.
Add free and being able to watch videos while doing other things. 10x better.

Not actually tried any of the originals as yet, I'll give them a go over the weekend (loadshedding permitting).

R120pm for 6 of us to have YTM and YTP and GPM, bargain :)

K3NS31

Expert Member
I just got a pop-up on YouTube saying I now have access to Originals as part of Premium. Cobra Kai isn't in the list though - so maybe it's one of those region-limited library things.

Bryn

Doubleplusgood
None of them are watchable. Wouldn’t waste my money on it.
Well it doesn't cost anything. It's just a dumb extra thrown in that you can ignore.

Ad-free mobile Youtube and Youtube Music are why you would subscribe.

Tsepz_011

Expert Member
Subscribed to it! Think I can kill my Apple Music Account now, lets just see how quickly albums are released on YT music first though...

Anyway, gone are all those endless ads, finally this is awesome!

Foxhound5366

Executive Member
It's sad that YouTube Premium doesn't deliver an ad-free experience on Roku's YouTube app ... it is synced to my Google account and I get all my subscriptions there, but ads still play :(

Bryn

Doubleplusgood
Has anyone else been using YouTube Music a lot since launch?

My final judgement is that there are just two things I need to improve to seriously consider switching from Spotify:

1. Albums have to be sorted alphabetically in your library. Sorting by date added with no sorting options is bonkers. I can't have a library sorted like this.

2. There either needs to be a dedicated page for new releases, exactly like Play Music, or a much longer scrolling list on the Home page in YT Music. My FOMO would be crippling given how much hasn't shown up in YT Music that is new in Spotify and Play Music.

It's not a deal breaker, but an equivalent to New Release Radio in Play Music really should be pinned next to the Mix Tape one. It's the best thing in Play Music and would complement the Mix Tape perfectly.

The musical aspect of YT Music is so much better than I expected. Pretty much on par with Spotify. Excellent job Google.

It's sad that YouTube Premium doesn't deliver an ad-free experience on Roku's YouTube app ... it is synced to my Google account and I get all my subscriptions there, but ads still play :(
Have you tried logging out and back in?