YouTube Premium launched in South Africa

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master
It's sad that YouTube Premium doesn't deliver an ad-free experience on Roku's YouTube app ... it is synced to my Google account and I get all my subscriptions there, but ads still play :(
It states that it should work..

and it seems to be work just fine on my Roku Ultra.

Bryn

Doubleplusgood
I see that the YouTube Music team did an AMA not too long ago:

https://support.google.com/youtubemusic/thread/338369?hl=en

We saw a lot of questions about GPM to YTM migration, and we wanted to provide answers to the most commonly asked questions on that topic:

When is Google Music going to get replaced by YT Music?
Along with building new, innovative features that weren’t on Google Play Music, we are working hard to make sure we support the most important GPM features in YouTube Music (including personal uploads) before migrating users over. There is a lot of work to do, so we don’t have a specific timeline at this point.

When will Google music playlists be ported over from GPM?
We want to make it really easy for you to bring over your library (including playlists), uploads, and history from GPM to YTM, but we don’t have a timeline as mentioned above. Our goal is to phase the migration, so we'll start by allowing you to migrate non-uploaded content, and then eventually support full migration including uploads.

The majority of people I have talked to will not leave GPM because current music and playlists will not port over to YTM. No sense creating lists in YTM if the port is going to screw things up in the future. How can you ease their (and my) concerns by explaining how and when the music transfer is going to happen?
Our plan is to have it be as simple as tapping a single button to migrate all of their GPM content over to YouTube music. A lot of the work we will be doing to make this seamless is around ensuring that we resolve duplicates and give users the library they expect even if they've used both apps (like I have).

When our GPM data finally moves/transfers to YTM, will it "replace" what's currently in YTM, or "merge" with it? Basically I'm asking, if I start using YTM now, will my data from both services merge seamlessly, or would my YTM data be overwritten?
I talked a little about this above, but this is something we are very focused on. Some data will be purely additive, like bringing over your playlists. Some data will be merged, like our understanding of which artists you love and your thumbs ups. To get to the heart of your question, our plan here is seamless merging, not overwriting.
We noticed some questions regarding playlists, and I've responded to the top questions here:

Is there a timeline to being able to filter songs in a specific playlist (search for a song in a playlist)?

The library team is working on a number of playlist improvements, including better sorting within the songs of a playlist. We don’t currently have a plan for filtering, but it’s a feature request we have heard from you.]

Do you have any plans on separating YouTube playlists and subscriptions from YouTube Music?

We did separate albums & playlists from YouTube Music so they don’t show up in YouTube.com. We are now looking at allowing the users to do this for subscriptions as well.

Add a 4th option on bottom menu for exploring different playlists (genre, decade, age, etc.)
The ability to browse the amazing, deep YouTube catalog is a definite priority for us. For now, you should be able to search for genres, decades, and moods and find great playlists for all those occasions.

Can we subscribe to other playlists similar to GPM and Spotify? How can we share those playlists, or find them from other folks?
You can add playlists to your library, share playlists with others (even non-subscribers), and search for user-created playlists. For example, here’s a fantastic playlist from NPR Music of the 200 greatest songs from 21st century women: https://music.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLy2PCKGkKRVZ-6OfKINL6_bkus7MDZJMn

When will gapless playback work?
It’s something the team is actively working on, but we don’t have a date on that for you at this time.

When will you bring Gapless Playback, which is essential for those of us who listen to albums by bands like Pink Floyd?
Mentioned above, but we do know that Dark Side of the Moon just isn’t the same without true gapless and are working on it :)
Are any efforts being made to make YouTube Music more stable when using it with Chromecast and Google Assistant?
There are folks on the team actively working on making cast and assistant more stable and faster. We are always always working on improving the results in assistant queries.

When can we play personal playlists in YouTube Music via Google Assistant?
Coming later this year; stay tuned!
Sounds like my days with Spotify are numbered. I'm already convinced that the playlists in YT Music are better than Spotify. Been switching between the services throughout today with comparably themed curated content, and I'm by miles enjoying the YT stuff more.

The main shortcomings, like library sorting, lack of upload (which Spotify doesn't have anyway), subscriptions carrying through to regular YouTube etc. are thankfully in the development pipeline.

RedViking

Nord of the South
Kobra Kai is the typical high school bully american teenager thing..... Meh.

RedViking

Nord of the South
Adults loved Karate Kid too when you were a kid ;)
Mmmm..

/enters cafeteria with my food tray and French fries, finds a seat next to a skinny loser while hardcore bully and his one fat friend and other stupid budy pushes over my cup of Pepsi and whole cafeteria starts to giggle.

Sums up about 95% of American teenage movies.

Except this one has a drunk "sensay" and gues what..... a car salesman. :ROFL:

All they need to do is start singing and we high school musical.

quovadis

Expert Member
Mmmm..

/enters cafeteria with my food tray and French fries, finds a seat next to a skinny loser while hardcore bully and his one fat friend and other stupid budy pushes over my cup of Pepsi and whole cafeteria starts to giggle.

Sums up about 95% of American teenage movies.

Except this one has a drunk "sensay" and gues what..... a car salesman. :ROFL:

All they need to do is start singing and we high school musical.
Box office gold.

Bryn

Doubleplusgood
YouTube Originals has been totally botched by YouTube imo. They are truly s**t tier garbage below the level of SABC local content.

What it should have been is simply exclusive content from top YouTubers, but in the same vein of what they're famous for, and genuine indie productions. Not these soul-crushingly terrible attempts at big budget content.

What could have been cool:
- A conventional daily news show from someone like Philip deFranco
- Documentaries from all the quality informational channels (apparently exists to some degree but we don't get it yet)
- Exclusive video feeds of popular podcasts
- Indie films that aren't crap and are held to some sort of quality standard by YouTube. The worst stuff on Netflix ain't as bad as YouTube Original films. This is a crying shame of a missed opportunity, especially for aspiring filmmakers. Publishing a 'YouTube Original' would be so much better for everyone involved in the production than just plain YouTube.
- All sorts of fun random stuff that isn't out of place and awkward. Custom liquid cooled PC build-off between the top PC channels. Weekly gaming tournaments with the top players. A new Cribs type series. Interviewing celebs. Literally anything that is a quality production and sufficiently off-centre for a top channel to reserve for YouTube Premium.

How does YouTube not think more deeply about this. A viable budget for a set number of indie films and series would be nice too and go a long way. The current stuff looks like the budget was an iPhone, a change of clothes and a roll of wine gums.

quovadis

Expert Member
On a side note that guy spends more time talking about building something and alternative revenue streams than doing what his patreon supporters actually supported him for in the first place.

genetic

Honorary Master
YouTube Originals has been totally botched by YouTube imo. They are truly s**t tier garbage below the level of SABC local content.

What it should have been is simply exclusive content from top YouTubers, but in the same vein of what they're famous for, and genuine indie productions. Not these soul-crushingly terrible attempts at big budget content.

What could have been cool:
- Documentaries from all the quality informational channels (apparently exists to some degree but we don't get it yet)
- Exclusive video feeds of popular podcasts
- Indie films that aren't crap and are held to some sort of quality standard by YouTube. The worst stuff on Netflix ain't as bad as YouTube Original films. This is a crying shame of a missed opportunity, especially for aspiring filmmakers. Publishing a 'YouTube Original' would be so much better for everyone involved in the production than just plain YouTube.
- All sorts of fun random stuff that isn't out of place and awkward. Custom liquid cooled PC build-off between the top PC channels. Weekly gaming tournaments with the top players. A new Cribs type series. Interviewing celebs. Literally anything that is a quality production and sufficiently off-centre for a top channel to reserve for YouTube Premium.

How does YouTube not think more deeply about this. A viable budget for a set number of indie films and series would be nice too and go a long way. The current stuff looks like the budget was an iPhone, a change of clothes and a roll of wine gums.
Maybe stop watching crap? Vsauce's Mindfield for one ticks all the boxes... Also YT Premium is not meant to compete against Netflix.

Bryn

Doubleplusgood
Maybe stop watching crap? Vsauce's Mindfield for one ticks all the boxes... Also YT Premium is not meant to compete against Netflix.
Where did I say that I'm binging YouTube Originals? Briefly checking them once doesn't amount to habitually watching crap.

YouTube Premium would be providing a different value proposition as mentioned above, one that plays to its strengths. Nothing to do with being another Netflix. And the fact that they used the name YouTube Originals clearly shows that they are targeting Netflix Originals.

genetic

Honorary Master
the fact that they used the name YouTube Originals clearly shows that they are targeting Netflix Originals.
No they are not.

Starting next year, YouTube will make its original content free to watch on the platform. Previously, the company's scripted shows like the Karate Kid spinoff Cobra Kai were only made available to users who paid for its subscription offering, YouTube Premium. For non-Premium subscribers, YouTube's free to watch originals will be ad-supported.
However, even when entering the scripted original content market, the San Bruno, California based video platform was always competing at a lower-end than players like Netflix and Amazon. While those two premium streaming giants spend billions on productions, YouTube's annual budget was much less, spending hundreds of millions on original programming. And while Netflix and Amazon sought to raise their budgets even further, Bloomberg reported that YouTube was looking to hold its annual production budget right where it was.
https://mashable.com/article/youtube-originals-free-premium-strategy/#m8FcG9hjNmqT

Bryn

Doubleplusgood
Journalists and Google can claim what they want. The fact remains that they are called YouTube Originals, were locked behind a paywall for a similar cost to Netflix and that they're only available in markets where it is very likely their audience watches Netflix. And no one is claiming it was any sort of valid effort to be a competitor, hence me claiming that it's a truly pathetic service that isn't good at being YouTube and isn't good at being a Netflix competitor. It's just stuck in a limbo of trash quality awkward content that isn't even worth watching for free. And low and behold, I see from your link it's becoming free. Which is the only price point that makes sense for it.

genetic

Honorary Master
Journalists and Google can claim what they want. The fact remains that they are called YouTube Originals, were locked behind a paywall for a similar cost to Netflix and that they're only available in markets where it is very likely their audience watches Netflix. And no one is claiming it was any sort of valid effort to be a competitor, hence me claiming that it's a truly pathetic service that isn't good at being YouTube and isn't good at being a Netflix competitor. It's just stuck in a limbo of trash quality awkward content that isn't even worth watching for free. And low and behold, I see from your link it's becoming free. Which is the only price point that makes sense for it.
Exactly! They are not competing against Netflix and the likes. They threw some money into some YouTube content creators to up the production value a bit. They never set out to tackle Netflix.

The only benefit of YouTube Premium is ad-free, mobile background playback and YouTube music.

Bryn

Doubleplusgood
Exactly! They are not competing against Netflix and the likes. They threw some money into some YouTube content creators to up the production value a bit. They never set out to tackle Netflix.

The only benefit of YouTube Premium is ad-free, mobile background playback and YouTube music.
I certainly paid no mind to the Originals when signing up the family. I would pay that just to get rid of the godawful mobile ads on YouTube. Once the changes outlined by the devs in the AMA I linked above have been implemented, I'll probably be able to switch to YT Music from Spotify.

The background playback is amazing. Wasn't even looking to try it out when I accidentally pressed the home button. So awesome being able to browse Relay Pro and other apps while a video is playing in the corner.

genetic

Honorary Master
I certainly paid no mind to the Originals when signing up the family. I would pay that just to get rid of the godawful mobile ads on YouTube. Once the changes outlined by the devs in the AMA I linked above have been implemented, I'll probably be able to switch to YT Music from Spotify.

The background playback is amazing. Wasn't even looking to try it out when I accidentally pressed the home button. So awesome being able to browse Relay Pro and other apps while a video is playing in the corner.
Yeah, the only YouTube Originals I watched was Mindfield, and to be honest, it was pretty much a dumbed down version of Vsauce.

The only reason I have it is that it's only R12 more than my GPM subscription and gets rid of those pesky ads!!

backstreetboy

Honorary Master
Some albums only appear on GPM but not YTM. Not sure why? I also love the way Spotify sort albums and compilations not like YTM that puts everything together.

Polymathic

Honorary Master

If anything they are trying to be less ad reliant on ad revenue less they have another adpocolypse